Custom dual sub with furniture shell

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
Been working on this for a while now. I've not been able to find a template for something like this, so made it up on my own. Thought it might be nice to post and maybe give ideas to others.

Wanted to replace my Rythmik E15 because, as nice of a sub as that is, it just couldn't fill my open space. These Dayton 18" Ultimax subs definitely fit the bill. I am surprised at how much tighter and deeper they play than the E15. I thought I was just missing volume, but not true! The overall quality of bass and impact is impressive. I especially notice the difference at low volumes where the bass before seemed to disappear. Now, my couch will shake with low tones even at volumes when the kids are asleep.

Fyi the other speakers are also custom builds using SB acoustics drivers in an MDF enclosure with a mottled makore veneer. Selah Audio designed the crossovers after I built the boxes. Took one of the grilles off for reference.

20190319_193324.jpg

These are 2 18" each in their own (but connected) 4 cu ft boxes made of 3/4" MDF with 1.5" baffle.. I lined the boxes with some heavy duty foam (1/2" neoprene) to absorb vibration and made the shell out of 1/2" ply covered with rough-sawn pine. No hard connections to the sub box to help avoid transmission of vibration. The shell sits on the foam and uses L-brackets resting on foam pads on the back of the sub box to make sure it doesn't vibrate forward/backward. It floats off the floor...only the sub box touches the floor.

The openings for the subs are perforated sheet metal with a oiled bronze finish (difficult to see in the image). The top is 2cm albarene soapstone. The subs are powered by a Behringer nu6000 dsp.

20170326_143651.jpg

20180905_222825.jpg

The furniture matches the rest of the room and ths sound is killer. We are enjoying it! There were no resources for a project like this when I started so hopefully this can be one for anyone interested in building something in the future. I highly recommend these Ultimax subs!

Nick

B

Brettc

Audioholic
I built one but installed the 18” reference sub, didn’t understand the difference then but considering buying the ultimax and building another to go with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Nice work, curious why you made just a single sub rather say two end tables so you could have the benefits of multiple sub locations?

FWIW there's a whole thread of diy subs disguised at furniture over on avsforum.

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
Nice work, curious why you made just a single sub rather say two end tables so you could have the benefits of multiple sub locations?

FWIW there's a whole thread of diy subs disguised at furniture over on avsforum.
Thanks. Chose the single sub because of room placement. This is our main living space so aesthetics are critical. Everything is pre-wired to this spot and it actually is a pretty good position for a sub in the room. We don't have any side tables in the room - only coffee and console so there weren't really other good choices.

I'll take a look through that forum. I have seen some coffee table designs, but nothing that I noticed with this kind of size and functionality (drawers and shelving). I was worried about vibration for things being stored, but even at high volumes, the foam really does a pretty good job of minimizing things!

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
This is our main living space so aesthetics are critical.
Clearly.

Well done. That looks about as 'room normal' as I've ever seen, borrowing from the fire place and mantle look.

My least favorite part of the diy thing is finish. What did you use?

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
Clearly.

Well done. That looks about as 'room normal' as I've ever seen, borrowing from the fire place and mantle look.

My least favorite part of the diy thing is finish. What did you use?
I used a blend of stains and danish oil. I love finishing with danish oil, but the stock colors weren't quite right. Surface is water based polyurethane - goes on milky so you can easily see drips, dried clear, easy cleanup.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis