Curious why JL E112 not in any recommended system

B

bacapicker

Audiophyte
Just curious why the JL Audio E112 received such a good review but I don't see it listed in any of the recommended systems. Did I miss it? Is it the price?

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Who knows. I don't think they update the recommended systems frequently. The JL review is probably more recent. Also, they are aimed decidedly upmarket, so aren't exactly the greatest value proposition compared to what's out there, although they appear to provide some serious subwoofage for their compact size. Love the kilowatt+ amps, a necessity for small, sealed cabs.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
$1900 for a sub seems high to me. 1500 watt amp would really annoy my apartment neighbors.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
$1900 for a sub seems high to me. 1500 watt amp would really annoy my apartment neighbors.
I'd move. :)

JLs like was said are nice enough for small pretty and powerful subs, but you will pay for it. I've gone DIY for best value for me, and ID before that....JL was never really in the running for me. I'm kinda value oriented and no WAF to deal with....

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
JL Audio, nice subs but not the best bang-for-the-buck in terms of performance, and that is probably why you don't see them recommended around here too much, when people ask what they can do in a certain limited budget.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Just curious why the JL Audio E112 received such a good review but I don't see it listed in any of the recommended systems. Did I miss it? Is it the price?
Price is a part of it, but it's really a matter of overall value. The JL E112 is a nice looking, powerful, compact sub, but it doesn't really do anything better than the SVS SB13U that makes a few of those recommended systems. Performance is more or less identical, both are reasonably compact, and both are fairly attractive. The only tangible benefit the JL has is being marginally smaller. OTOH, the SVS is a bit less costly, particularly if you spring for the gloss black finish on both (1699 vs 2099), and offers a longer warranty (5 year vs 3 year).

B

bacapicker

Audiophyte
Thanks for all the replies. I've had a velodyne va1012xii in the same spot in my living room (about 4500 ft^3) for over 20 years and plan to replace it (only issue is it tries to reproduce very low freq that it isn't capable of - in the occasional movie). WAF is big problem so can only use the space currently taken which is 17.5x16.5x16.5. Not too many choices for this space and this size room.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Probably the price. They are hugely expensive for mediocre output. They taut that overbuilt driver like its going to transform your life, but it really doesn't sound worthy of its price tag.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
For the restriction on dimensions, as far as I'm aware there is no other sub that offers the same level of output in such a compact size as the JL Audio E112. If @bacapicker can spare another inch or two depth and height, that would open up many more options for better values -- the Rythmik LV12R, the Outlaw Ultra X12, the RBH I-12/e, or the XTZ Sound SUB 1X12, for a few examples.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
It's a brute force sub. A good one no doubt, but I would never recommend it as a first option to anyone building a system. Give me a sub that isn't trying to defy physics instead.

D

Defcon

Audioholic
You're paying a lot for the looks, the brand name, the salesmen etc. It does not compare well to ID subs on price/performance.

Most audiophile subs from big brands (not the ID ones) are built to look good and fit in small enclosures because that's an easier sale, and thus compromise on performance. And you pay a lot more.

But with size restrictions its hard to beat something from JL though I'd pick Funk Audio.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
For the restriction on dimensions, as far as I'm aware there is no other sub that offers the same level of output in such a compact size as the JL Audio E112. If @bacapicker can spare another inch or two depth and height, that would open up many more options for better values -- the Rythmik LV12R, the Outlaw Ultra X12, the RBH I-12/e, or the XTZ Sound SUB 1X12, for a few examples.
I'd be willing to bet a slightly larger cabinet would solve its problems. That driver just displaces too much air in a small sealed cabinet.

S

Sams

Junior Audioholic
I will be ordering a pair, FYI there is an open box(black ash) e112 @crutchfield for $1700($200 off)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I'd be willing to bet a slightly larger cabinet would solve its problems. That driver just displaces too much air in a small sealed cabinet.
I don't know if that is the problem or not, but E112's sounded very sloppy for music in my room compared to Rythmik E15HP or PSA XS15se.
I think when companies attempt 20Hz anechoic, they are screwing up the possibility to attain a flat frequency response after room gain is added to the equation. The Rythmik E15HP can do flat anechoic to 20Hz, but has the settings to raise the roll-off.
For HT, I don't mind the extra bass, but for music, it is wrong.
They are, indeed, amazing for all of the bass they pump out of that small box!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I will be ordering a pair, FYI there is an open box(black ash) e112 @crutchfield for $1700($200 off)
I'll sell you a pair in excellent condition for $2000 (for both) plus shipping from the Atlanta area!

morca

morca

Enthusiast
I'd move. :)

JLs like was said are nice enough for small pretty and powerful subs, but you will pay for it. I've gone DIY for best value for me, and ID before that....JL was never really in the running for me. I'm kinda value oriented and no WAF to deal with....
A DIY JL is also a option :)

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks for all the replies. I've had a velodyne va1012xii in the same spot in my living room (about 4500 ft^3) for over 20 years and plan to replace it (only issue is it tries to reproduce very low freq that it isn't capable of - in the occasional movie). WAF is big problem so can only use the space currently taken which is 17.5x16.5x16.5. Not too many choices for this space and this size room.
I posted this in a different thread a few days ago thinking I was posting in this one. Anyway, would 11" * 48" * 45" fit under or behind your couch? If so, then you could hide a Danley THSpud there. Cost is comparable to the JL E112, but it'll play deeper and give you more headroom than the JL. Plus, in one of those locations you won't have to worry about a cube imposing on your space restrictions in your currently planned spot. It isn't sealed, but neither are organ pipes.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis