CRT display resolution

xboxweasel

xboxweasel

Full Audioholic
Are all CRTs build the same when it comes to their native resolution? How can I find out what resolution my Toshiba 26HF84 has?

The specs say:
1)CrystalScan HDSC™ (All time 1080i) with User Selectable 540p
2)CrystalScan HDSC™ upconverts all video signals (including 480i/p) to 1080iHD resulting in a significant reduction in jagged line artifacts creating the sharpest, most realistic picture possible from every source. For users who want to display a progressive scan image from a progressive scan source, selectable 540p is available via the on-screen menu.

Does this mean it's a 1080i display (or 540p)???

Thanks.

J

Jedi2016

Full Audioholic
It's 1080i. It's my understanding that all CRTs are 1080i. The 540p is only half the resolution, which is why it can do it progressively (double-scanning the fields).

xboxweasel

xboxweasel

Full Audioholic
I don't agree with this statement. Not all CRTs are 1080i. I'm guessing that most are 480i with the exception of the HD CRTs which would either be 720p or 1080i. I don't think they make 1080p CRTs. But I am most probably wrong.

:D

J

Jedi2016

Full Audioholic
Yeah, I meant high-definition CRTs.. hehe.

And I believe the native resolution is always 1080i on those.. 720p images are upscaled by the TV to display full-screen. That seems to vary from TV to TV, though.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
CRT's do not have a native resolution. They can display multiple resolutions depending on the input source.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Actually, CRTs are all manufactured to different specs and different CRTs can be setup to do different things. The lesser expensive models use a single output format, such as 1080i to display everything. In that case, all incoming materal that is acceptable, is converted to that output format and placed up on the screen. It may be switchable from 1080i to 540p format though and likely won't give you a huge jump in quality either way. Though, possibly 720p material may look a bit better at 540p display since it doesn't have to be deinterlaced.

Really nice CRTs can handle all sorts of resolutions and actually display them natively. It really isn't a resolution, but a number of scanning lines. Yet, I had an older Electrohome Marquee projector that had enough guts to handle a 1080p input with no real issue. Pretty amazing for a projector that was built over a dozen years ago. Yet, it was designed to work with high end computers, so it was built with enough gusto to handle it all.

If I fed it 480i, it displayed at 480i. 720p? Yep, no problem! 1080i? More of the same. How about 1024x768? Sure thing! All displayed with the correct number of lines for the setup in use.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks for the explaination BMX. I wasn't completely sure about HDTV's. I was thinking along the lines of PC monitors.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
BMXTRIX said:
Actually, CRTs are all manufactured to different specs and different CRTs can be setup to do different things. The lesser expensive models use a single output format, such as 1080i to display everything. In that case, all incoming materal that is acceptable, is converted to that output format and placed up on the screen. It may be switchable from 1080i to 540p format though and likely won't give you a huge jump in quality either way. Though, possibly 720p material may look a bit better at 540p display since it doesn't have to be deinterlaced.

Really nice CRTs can handle all sorts of resolutions and actually display them natively. It really isn't a resolution, but a number of scanning lines. Yet, I had an older Electrohome Marquee projector that had enough guts to handle a 1080p input with no real issue. Pretty amazing for a projector that was built over a dozen years ago. Yet, it was designed to work with high end computers, so it was built with enough gusto to handle it all.

If I fed it 480i, it displayed at 480i. 720p? Yep, no problem! 1080i? More of the same. How about 1024x768? Sure thing! All displayed with the correct number of lines for the setup in use.
Maybe it had a very high horizontal frequency rate built into it. Normal, old CRT TVs are 15750Hz, to do line doubling,480p, you need twice that frequency rate. You want 1080i you need even higher.

xboxweasel

xboxweasel

Full Audioholic
Now I know

I received an email from Toshiba stating the following:
The 26HL84 has a resolution of 1366 X 768 16:9 WXGA. Through video input, the resolution is capable of upto 1080i.

Now I know the display resolution. But how can a width of 1366 be classed as 1080i. 1080i = 1920x1080 interlaced. I have the height but not the width. That resolution is more like 720p.

Oh well.

I used my Avia disk and ran through the video calibration. I must say I am thuroughly impressed at the quality. The test patterns revealed no flaws. I cannot recall what the name of the one pattern, but it consisted of vertical and horizontal lines getting smaller and smaller. But everything was crystal clear. Hence the "CrystalScan HDSC" name I guess. :D

Except I can't get the Red, Green, and Blue to balance out properly. Very common from what I've read. Oh, and it overscannes the picture. I think 5% of the image was lost. But that's close enough since they said that high end displays overscan by 2-3% to ensure that the image covers the entire screen.

I really can't complain. It is my new little work horse that could. Bloody awsome. For some reason I want to watch Star Wars episodes 4, 5 and 6 now.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The HL84 is a LCD display - not crt. It is a 1366x768 display. When you turn it on - it has 1366x768 pixels. When you fill the screen with ANYTHING it is 1366x768 pixels. It NEVER has more - it NEVER has less. When there are black bars on the sides or top/bottom you may be using less, but the display is still - 1366x768.

Say it with me - the display is 1366x768 - ALWAYS.

Now that you know the native resolution of your display.

This means absolutely nothing in regards to what your display will happily accept as an input. The display COULD accept a 10,000x6,000 input resolution if they built it that way and then it would convert it down to (say it with me) 1366x768.

More realistically, it likely accepts 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i television formats - not one of which is 1366x768. So, it has to convert every one of those formats to a size that properly fits the 1366x768 area it has to work with. Those resolutions you can feed it are the 'accepted' resolutions. It probably has a computer input that accepts several computer resolutions as well - once again - accepted resolutions, not native. If you ever feed the TV more than 1366x768 resolution, it must throw out pixels to make the image fit on the display. If you feed it less, it must add data to make it fit.

Either way, the 26HL84 from Toshiba is listed as a LCD flat panel display.

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/televisions/product.asp?model=26hl84

!!!!

Your first post lists this model though:
http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/televisions/product.asp?model=26hf84

Which IS a CRT display. It looks like it may be setup to show at both 480i and 1080i - hard to tell. The only accepted inputs are 480i, 480p, and 1080i (at least that's what it looks like to me). Odds are good that while it may not be as versatile as that LCD you listed above, it is a far better overall display. Very heavy, can't hang it on the wall (easily) but a killer image.

xboxweasel

xboxweasel

Full Audioholic
You know what!!! The tech gave me the specs for the wrong TV. Mine is a 26HF84. Hahahahaha!

Oh well. I am still impressed with it though. One thing I kind of like about this CRT versus my RPLCD is that it is not as clear. And a lot of DVDs have a crappy picture quality. The CRT does not show as much of the artifacting of MPEG2 compression as the LCD does.

BMXTRIX, I know about what you are saying about LCDs etc. Thanks anyways.

Interesting that it does not accept 720p. I think I will have to test that with my xbox.

Later.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis