Crossover one woofer entirely in floorstanding speakers

vsound5150

vsound5150

Audioholic
Hi all,
I'm fine tuning my setup and have dual 10" subs sitting next to front floorstanding speakers and thinking if I should set the subs crossover to 200Hz to use them as much as possible which would completely overlap one woofer and much of the other in the floorstanding speakers.

Is there any disadvantage sound wise if the floorstanding woofers are not utilized?

Floorstanding:
2K - 25Khz tweeter
350 - 2K mid
165 - 350 woofer
30 - 165 woofer

Subwoofers (front ported):
19 - 270Hz

AVR sub crossover options:
80, 90, 100, 110, 120, 150, 200, 250Hz

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
The general advice is to try it with different XO settings and then go with the setting that sounds BEST TO YOU.

You're the one that has to live with it, so make it sound good to your ears.

There are other, more technical answers, but need to know what speakers we are talking about here.

Also, check out the SVS Merlin, it may provide some insight:
https://www.svsound.com/pages/merlin

vsound5150

vsound5150

Audioholic
Ok great, I'm trying all options until my calibration and mic tools arrive to see how it compares.

So far, subs crossed at 100Hz sounds best but I didn't know if raising the crossover and cutting off the woofers in the towers are a good or bad thing per the cabinet design. They are all SVS, Prime Towers and PB1000 subs.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I personally like speakers crossed at 80Hz and subs at 120Hz.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I personally like speakers crossed at 80Hz and subs at 120Hz.
What gear do you have that allows separate crossovers like that? A crossover is normally that between a speaker and a sub....you aren't referring to the LPF of LFE, are you?

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

What gear do you have that allows separate crossovers like that? A crossover is normally that between a speaker and a sub....you aren't referring to the LPF of LFE, are you?
Referring to LFE, yes.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

It's not a crossover, just an LPF for the LFE content, not even for all sub use....
You are correct. I just wanted to point out the LFE setting as op talks about overlap of speakers / subs. How ever I should of expressed myself better.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You are correct. I just wanted to point out the LFE setting as op talks about overlap of speakers / subs. How ever I should of expressed myself better.
LOL thanks, just a pet peeve of mine I suppose.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis