Crossover frequency setting without SubWoofer

F

FredBack

Enthusiast
Hello,

I'm a happy, but newby owner of an Denon AVR-3805, with Wharfedale Evo speakers, (2 fronts, 1 center, 2 Surround) but without subwoofer (to please other residents of my building, AND my wife...).

Being really novice, I would like to know the appropriate setting for the Crossover Frequency, knowing that my speakers have the folowing caracteristics :
Front L and R - EVO 40 :
Power : 200 W
Nominal imp : 6 Ohm
Frequency Range : 30-20K
Crossover Frequency : 200 / 2.8k
Frequency Fb : 30

Center : Evo-Center
Power : 100 W
Nominal imp : 8 Ohm
Frequency Range : 80-20K
Crossover Frequency : 2.3k
Frequency Fb : 55

Surround L and R - EVO 10
Power : 120 W
Frequency Range : 50-20K
Crossover Frequency : 2k
Frequency Fb : 45

Thanks in advance for your help

Fred

U

Unregistered

80HZ is probably the best setting. That is the recommended crossover per THX specs. Because your fronts go down to 30Hz you could go lower - a general rule is 1/2 to 1 octave above the speakers f3 point (the point at which the output is 3dB down). So for 30HZ mains you could use 60HZ. However, your center only goes down to 80HZ so using anything below 80HZ may not sound quite right. You really have to experiment and see what you prefer.

Now, with subwoofer=no, it won't matter what you set it to because it will be ignored. If you want to eliminate the really low bass for the sake of your neighbors, set it to 60HZ-80HZ and tell the receiver subwoofer=yes. The low bass will go to the non-existent subwoofer thus eliminating bass that might be bothersome to your neighbors.

F

FredBack

Enthusiast
"loud" and clear !
What a wonderful forum, with helpful people !
Thanks you so much
Regards
Fred

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
I might be inclined to keep it closer to 1/2-octave than 1 octave above f3. I'd bet your mains can do a pretty decent job with stuff down around 40 - 50 Hz, but the 80 Hz center may not be happy with that. As always, your brain should be the navigator, your ears the captain.

Also re: THX, I've never really understood the reason why Lucas and friends chose 80 Hz for the crossover, except that it's a compromise. I'd always let my speakers' limitations determine my crossover setting.

cam

cam

Audioholic
This one is easy

FredBack said:
Hello,

I'm a happy, but newby owner of an Denon AVR-3805, with Wharfedale Evo speakers, (2 fronts, 1 center, 2 Surround) but without subwoofer (to please other residents of my building, AND my wife...).

Being really novice, I would like to know the appropriate setting for the Crossover Frequency, knowing that my speakers have the folowing caracteristics :
Front L and R - EVO 40 :
Power : 200 W
Frequency Range : 30-20K
Crossover Frequency : 200 / 2.8k
Frequency Fb : 30

Center : Evo-Center
Power : 100 W
Nominal imp : 8 Ohm
Frequency Range : 80-20K
Crossover Frequency : 2.3k
Frequency Fb : 55

Surround L and R - EVO 10
Power : 120 W
Frequency Range : 50-20K
Crossover Frequency : 2k
Frequency Fb : 45

Thanks in advance for your help

Fred
You set your mains to large, center and surrounds to small, sub-no, crossover 80 hz. This way anything below 80 that was meant for your center or surrounds will be directed to your mains. One other option, considering your speakers, is to set your mains and surrounds to large, center to small, sub-no, and 80 hz crossover. Your surrounds dip to 50 hz and most movies don't dip much below 70-80 hz in the surrounds anyways. Enjoy!

F

FredBack

Enthusiast
Thank you djoxygen and cam

I will do different testing and let you know.

Cam, what will happen if I set the surrounds to Large instead of Small ?

Regards
Fred

cam

cam

Audioholic
FredBack said:
I will do different testing and let you know.

Cam, what will happen if I set the surrounds to Large instead of Small ?

Regards
Fred
They won't divert the bass to your mains or sub depending on your situation. To keep things simple, with no sub, run mains large and center and surrounds small.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis