Crisp, Full Audio for 600/700 Tops

U

Unregistered

I need a stereo to use with my computer (PowerMac *4)- for DVD's, but especially music. I have 2500 songs (most are apple lossless encoded or 300 bit rate mp4 or higher) - and my harman kardon soundsticks just aren't gonna cut it now. The problem is I only have 600/700 bucks to spend. I liked the "321 Home Entertainment System" from Bose, but 900 is a little much for me right now. Are there any similar systems for 700 from another trusted company? I don't really care about surround sound, however I want something that does sound really full - not plasticy, underpowered, etc. I really don't know much about audio eqp., so any suggestions whatsoever are appreciated. Thanks.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Are you open to simply a pair of nice speakers and a receiver instead of an all-in-one solution? I think you'll find you get the best bang for the buck there.

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
Here is an easy example of what would BLOW THE HELL OUT OF THE BOSE 3-2-1 SYSTEM for less money.

For speakers,

http://www.hsustore.com/vt12.html

and add the

http://www.hsustore.com/stf1.html

for $100 off when bought with the speakers

For a receiver,

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1077626339945&skuId=6303859&productCategoryId=cat03031&type=product

and another $50 to $75 for a DVD Player. All for about $800. A little over your budget, but far far better that the 3-2-1 system. I am not saying this is the best system in the price range but I am saying this is an example of a far better system for less money. Do a little research and you can find some really good deals out there. These are all normal prices. If you don't mind used or internet dealers, you can save even more.

The main thing to remember. SAY NO TO BOSE!

Shinerman

U

Unregistered

Thanks, that seems like a very good place to start. Does anybody else have their own specific suggestions or agree with system suggested here? No, it doesn't have to be an all-in-one solution...in fact, I doubt there is an all-in-one solution in this price range that's at all decent. Don't worry about a DVD player or anything- that's the computer's job...and please try to keep it to about 700 or less. Thanks for the suggestions so far...

U

Unregistered

Oh yeah, why is everybody here so against bose? A lot of my friends have bose systems in their cars and they SEEM to have a pretty nice sound. What am I missing...have I just never heard a great system before?

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
Unregistered said:
Oh yeah, why is everybody here so against bose? A lot of my friends have bose systems in their cars and they SEEM to have a pretty nice sound. What am I missing...have I just never heard a great system before?
Oy! That's a hot topic. Bose is not well received in most audio forums/communities and is not considered high end by any means. You can do far better for much less money and with Bose you are locked into their system forever. You can't hookup non bose speakers, you can't add other components like another DVD player, you don't get most of the new digital formats and their sound is just not up to par with other options. If you think Bose is nice, go listen to some decent speakers from other companies. You will see a big difference Bose car audio is OK for a "stock" system, I guess. My Tahoe has a Bose system in it but I can pick it apart in terms of sound. There seems to be way to much Bass for most music. I have to keep the bass turned almost all the way down or it becomes way to boomy. There are no mids and the highs are way to laid back.

Oh well, did not intend to get into a Bose bashing fury, but Bose tends to get people's blood boiling in audio forums.

Shinerman

U

Unregistered

My compliments to the marketing division of Bose...

I just assumed Bose was high-end because there's a Bose system in my friend's new Mercedes SUV - and I think my high-school advisor had one in his Porsche. (I went to a very rich, republican high-school...Bush's niece was in some of my brother's classes...but my brother and I drove to school in my dad's Honda Accord with a big Kerry sticker on the back window.)

Anyway, thanks for the warning...since cost is a concern, there's no point in paying 20 percent more for a name...

U

Unregistered

I mentioned this to my brother...here were some of his concerns...

a 150/200 dollar amp won't be any good

it doesn't make sense because I won't have a cd player or radio

overall, it won't be as good a value as say for instance, a Sony system

Not having a radio/cd player doesn't bother me since I can always buy these components later, and having listened to Sony systems, I can't believe you could go your route and do much worse. However, could he be right about the amp? Would it be better to buy just 2 bookshelf type speakers, a sub, and a more expensive amp, or should I not worry too much? Thanks so much...you guys are very knowledgeable.

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
$150 TO $200 may not be the best amp but it will be much better than the Bose amp. With your budget, it's tight to get decent speakers, sub and receiver. You might consider a better receiver maybe up to $400 and a pair of speakers instead of a full 5.1 setup. Athena makes some very nice speakers for the price and you can easily find them at Best Buy. You might check out some of the reviews on the Athena speakers. They seem to rate and perform very well, in their price range. I have listened to several Athena models and I was impressed. The hard fact is, for under $700 to $800 for a full system, compromises have to be made. It's always better to spend more on speakers. Bad speakers will perform badly no matter what Amp you feed them with.

Shinerman

U

Unregistered

If I go to best buy or circuit city to try these out...what should I listen for, how should I test for, etc? Or is it as simple as bringing a cd and seeing which sounds best?

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
Unregistered said:
If I go to best buy or circuit city to try these out...what should I listen for, how should I test for, etc? Or is it as simple as bringing a cd and seeing which sounds best?

It's what ever you like the best. Simple as that. Bye the way, you can't bring CDs to Best Buy. You have to listen to speakers through their system and their preselected songs. Circuit City let's you bring in your music.

Shinerman

U

Unregistered

See "Athena or HSU?" thread...it may interest you. We seem to be in a similar situation.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis