J

Jsal

Audiophyte
Ordered Goldenear Triton Reference speakers from a local dealer at beginning of December . Paid in full. They told me first of February. Long wait but I was set on the References. Turned into first of March . Now JUNE!! Nothing from Goldenear, just from dealer. He doesn't have a clue .

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Ordered Goldenear Triton Reference speakers from a local dealer at beginning of December . Paid in full. They told me first of February. Long wait but I was set on the References. Turned into first of March . Now JUNE!! Nothing from Goldenear, just from dealer. He doesn't have a clue .
Holy cow that's absolutely ridiculous. I hope they are ok because Sandy doesn't own the company and has retired. Def Tech went downhill after he left as well. That is unacceptable though.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

J

Jsal

Audiophyte
I liked the Goldenear mostly for the powered bass. I am not a basshead but I have a large room and driving them with two Primaluna Dialogue 7 monoblocks. I currently have Tannoy Revolution XT8F's and they just don't have enough umph. I was also looking at Spatial Audio X3 or Pure Audio Project Quintet 15 (love the horn look). I heard the Goldenear's and they sound great. Can't hear the Spatial or PAP's. Hard to spend $10k without hearing them. Does anyone know how they sound compared to the GE's?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Holy cow that's absolutely ridiculous. I hope they are ok because Sandy doesn't own the company and has retired. Def Tech went downhill after he left as well. That is unacceptable though.

Why do you think Deftech went downhill after Sandy Gross left? The new Demand speakers are very good. I'm not sure that I would trade them for any of the Golden Ear speakers, to be honest.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I liked the Goldenear mostly for the powered bass. I am not a basshead but I have a large room and driving them with two Primaluna Dialogue 7 monoblocks. I currently have Tannoy Revolution XT8F's and they just don't have enough umph. I was also looking at Spatial Audio X3 or Pure Audio Project Quintet 15 (love the horn look). I heard the Goldenear's and they sound great. Can't hear the Spatial or PAP's. Hard to spend $10k without hearing them. Does anyone know how they sound compared to the GE's?
The Golden Ear speakers will not much resemble those other speakers in sound. The Golden Ear speakers will have a wide dispersion with lots of early reflections. Those other speakers should have a fairly narrow dispersion with a lot of late reflections. They will have a different soundstage for sure. There is no way I would buy those dipole speakers unless they provided detailed measurements, which, of course, they do not. If you want something with horns and also low-end oomph for 10K, look at JTR's loudspeakers. I would say look at the JBL HDI-3800, but since you enjoyed the GoldenEars, my hunch is that you like your treble a little hot, and the JBL's don't really do that (although you could always EQ them).

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Why do you think Deftech went downhill after Sandy Gross left? The new Demand speakers are very good. I'm not sure that I would trade them for any of the Golden Ear speakers, to be honest.
I meant more of a customer service direction. I have sent them emails over the last year or so that we never returned. Back in the day they would bend over backwards to help.
The Demand series does look incredible.. I'd like to hear them. Very, very expensive though.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I would say yo will have a really long wait, may be years. You need to keep up with the news. There is a massive world wide semiconductor shortage. This is affecting the production of everything that contains an IC. That includes the amps in those speakers. I think China is actually orchestrating this. So essentially there is only one factory in Taiwan sending ICs to the west. The shortage is critical and supply lines of vehicles in the US and Europe have pretty much ground to a halt.

If your receiver or TV blows up, expect a very long wait indeed to get another one. This shortage has only just begun and will get a lot worse.

The Biden administration are being pressured to establish an semiconductor plant state side. We need this badly, but it will probably take five years to set up.

The US an Europeans have been negligent not to address this years ago. This has he capacity to do massive economic damage right of the heels of the pandemic.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I would say yo will have a really long wait, may be years. You need to keep up with the news. There is a massive world wide semiconductor shortage. This is affecting the production of everything that contains an IC. That includes the amps in those speakers. I think China is actually orchestrating this. So essentially there is only one factory in Taiwan sending ICs to the west. The shortage is critical and supply lines of vehicles in the US and Europe have pretty much ground to a halt.

If your receiver or TV blows up, expect a very long wait indeed to get another one. This shortage has only just begun and will get a lot worse.

The Biden administration are being pressured to establish an semiconductor plant state side. We need this badly, but it will probably take five years to set up.

The US an Europeans have been negligent not to address this years ago. This has he capacity to do massive economic damage right of the heels of the pandemic.
I guess we could use that unused Foxconn in Wisconsin.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Is not just audio equipment being impacted by covid, you checked the price of lumber lately.

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
Is not just audio equipment being impacted by covid, you checked the price of lumber lately.
I had to quickly replace an aquarium stand.. I used finished birch.. It got a bit spendy...

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I guess we could use that unused Foxconn in Wisconsin.

That Foxconn facility would not have helped anything. They would have been more of a point of assembly for things manufactured in China and elsewhere. But one of the big problems is a shortage of 'beans' which are things like resistors, simple ICs, capacitors, and more elemental electronics components. We just do not manufacture that stuff in the USA anymore.

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
That Foxconn facility would not have helped anything. They would have been more of a point of assembly for things manufactured in China and elsewhere. But one of the big problems is a shortage of 'beans' which are things like resistors, simple ICs, capacitors, and more elemental electronics components. We just do not manufacture that stuff in the USA anymore.
China has positioned themselves well it seems...they have a monpoly on generic prescription drugs as well... Remember the ant acid (ratitidine i think) that caused the colon cancer ? Chinese regs... That was bush era agreements correct? The Chinese stated monopolizing generic drugs as a goal waaay back... "Pharmacy of the world" was the stated goal as i recall...

D

D Murphy

Full Audioholic
And even if the finished product is available, there's a massive pile-up in U.S. ports due to direct and indirect Covid effects. I have a container ship with lots of BMR's and a few towers that's due to hit LA on the 15th, but it will join hundreds of other ships offshore waiting for a dock to free up.

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
And even if the finished product is available, there's a massive pile-up in U.S. ports due to direct and indirect Covid effects. I have a container ship with lots of BMR's and a few towers that's due to hit LA on the 15th, but it will join hundreds of other ships offshore waiting for a dock to free up.
I saw part of that video that was posted on the other site ... That's a lot of $$$$ sitting out in the ocean waiting for something bad to happen ( it's never anything good when something happens in cases like this)..

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Times like this make me glad I'm no longer in the international logistics biz....the "trade war" was bad enuf....and the backups in LA/LB I've dealt with before in strike times....no fun.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
OTOH as far as Golden Ear goes, they're off my list due being owned now by Fraudioquest.....sorry, had to mention that :)

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Honda is halting production at factories in the US and Canada due to supply-chain issues. I suspect the chip shortage is the single biggest problem.

>>>Honda factories across the U.S. and Canada will halt production due to a supply-chain issue, the company said Tuesday.

In a statement to The Hill, a company spokesperson confirmed that most plants will stop production, while some will operate at reduced levels. Workers “will continue to have the opportunity to work at the impacted plants" and will not be laid off, the spokesperson said.

"We continue to manage a number of supply chain issues related to the impact from COVID-19, congestion at various ports, the microchip shortage and severe winter weather over the past several weeks. Our purchasing and production teams are working to limit the impact of this situation and are adjusting production as necessary in order to carefully manage the available supply of parts and meet the needs of our customers," they said.<<<

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
OTOH as far as Golden Ear goes, they're off my list due being owned now by Fraudioquest.....sorry, had to mention that :)
Fraudioquest, that's funny! That cable maker who puts arrows on the cable so the electricity will flow in the right direction.

Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
I just bought a really nice pair of used Triton ones & love them so much I am hoping to find a good deal on a used pair of the References .

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis