Cover leads on outdoor speakers

M

mirx

Audiophyte
Hi,

TL;DR: What's the best way to cover outdoor speaker ends for a snowy Canadian winter?

The story:
I installed a pair of Yamaha ns-aw392 all weather speakers on my back deck this summer. I'm going to take them down for the cold snowy Canadian winter before any snow actually flies. My generally thought is the speakers will last a few years longer if I treat them better. I ran good high quality rubberized cable outside, and terminated one speaker with banana clips, and screwed the wire directly on to the screw terminates on the 2nd speaker. The banana clips were forcing the speaker to be angled up higher then I wanted them, not allowing for a snug fit against the house. When I take the speakers down, I'm wondering, what's the best way to cover outdoor speaker wire ends? Tuck them under the siding? Wrap them in a plastic? Duck tape them? I'm not sure what's the best way to protect the wire ends for next spring.

Thanks for any tips.

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
I leave my Polk's out year round here in Colorado- damn things still work great after 11 winters :0
They're under eaves so there's not that much wear and tear on them from snow and rain though.. Ymmv.
Cheers, Mac

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Hi,

TL;DR: What's the best way to cover outdoor speaker ends for a snowy Canadian winter?

The story:
I installed a pair of Yamaha ns-aw392 all weather speakers on my back deck this summer. I'm going to take them down for the cold snowy Canadian winter before any snow actually flies. My generally thought is the speakers will last a few years longer if I treat them better. I ran good high quality rubberized cable outside, and terminated one speaker with banana clips, and screwed the wire directly on to the screw terminates on the 2nd speaker. The banana clips were forcing the speaker to be angled up higher then I wanted them, not allowing for a snug fit against the house. When I take the speakers down, I'm wondering, what's the best way to cover outdoor speaker wire ends? Tuck them under the siding? Wrap them in a plastic? Duck tape them? I'm not sure what's the best way to protect the wire ends for next spring.

Thanks for any tips.
Personally, I would probably put a piece of heat shrink over exposed wire ends and shrink it down. Re-insulate it like that for the winter and remove for re-install after.

Probably, a few pieces of electrical tape would do the same thing, but it might leave some adhesive residue.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Good idea taking the speakers in, I do the same thing.

I'd recommend not using the banana plugs at all. It's just an added connection and the possibility for added resistance as things oxidize.

Try these wire nuts filled with Noalox for winter: IDEAL INDUSTRIES, INC. - Twister AL/CU Twist-on Wire Connector
The coating they will leave on the wire will also protect the connection from oxidation while hooked to the speakers too.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Good idea taking the speakers in, I do the same thing.

I'd recommend not using the banana plugs at all. It's just an added connection and the possibility for added resistance as things oxidize.

Try these wire nuts filled with Noalox for winter: IDEAL INDUSTRIES, INC. - Twister AL/CU Twist-on Wire Connector
The coating they will leave on the wire will also protect the connection from oxidation while hooked to the speakers too.
That's a great idea, Rick. I've just been wrapping the ends of my wires with electrical tape and in the spring, run a bit of sandpaper over them to remove oxidation. I haven't had any problems, but I like those connectors.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis