Couch against wall 5.1.2 atmos/rear bipolars?

J

J.B. 1

Audiophyte
Hey, setting up my 5.1.2 atmos, where should I place my bipolar rear surrounds with couch against the wall, to the sides-even with ears, or in front of or behind???

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Just for clarity they’re surrounds(rear surrounds are for 7.1).
I would put them to the sides and maybe a foot above ear level. Having them a little above ear level will help if you have other people on the couch. How tall is the ceiling?
Actually, what are all the room dims?

J

J.B. 1

Audiophyte
11ft width 17ft Length 8ft height. Couch against back wall, no budging from wife. Next question, the 2 in-ceilings should they be right above the couch or in the middle above??

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Usually in x..x.2 I would put them somewhere between the front edge of the couch, and where you’re feet would be if you were seated, and stuck your feet out.

This is the “generic” image from Dolby. Since your against the back wall, I would put them just a little farther forward as I mentioned to give a little more separation between the surrounds, and heights. Another option for them is the front height position on the front wall, where it meets the ceiling.

Ime the ceiling is better, but if you or your wife aren’t excited about cutting the ceiling up, front height can work. Part of the problem though, is with any .2 height install, there’s a hole in the sound above/behind.
So maybe in your room, I’d put the surrounds a couple feet above seated ear height, and the tops at 30° foreword of the LP.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Any time! Just glad I can offer something. Make sure you let us know how it turns out, and feel free to ask any questions that pop up.

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
17 foot deep room and the couch against the back wall? why? even from a basic interior design POV that’s a terrible idea, let alone the audio implications. You’ll end up with this huge gulf of space in front of the couch that you won’t know what to do with

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis