Costco, Sam's Club etc.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
In order to get savings, first you have to buy a membership. To get the savings. I don't get it LOL??? Or to save 30 cents on gas, you have to buy a memberships, and in the case of someone I know drive 7 miles to the Costco pumps to get the 30 cent savings using up more gas first.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
In order to get savings, first you have to buy a membership. To get the savings. I don't get it LOL??? Or to save 30 cents on gas, you have to buy a memberships, and in the case of someone I know drive 7 miles to the Costco pumps to get the 30 cent savings using up more gas first.
With a newer car, 7 miles is squat. WRT the savings, buy more, save more. 30 cents/gallon would save $6.60/tank for me but they aren't close enough to warrant going just for gas but if it takes two weeks/tank, I still saved more than $100. I get a gas discount from Kroger, so that helps, but only if I use Kroger as my main source for groceries, and I no longer do.

The Costco membership is $60 and they sell travel, AV/Network hardware (consumer), pharmacy, auto insurance, most of the food is high quality and they have items that can't be bought elsewhere. I save almost as much EVERY MONTH on my auto insurance to pay for a year's membership.

If you think it's about gas price, you should go inside. OTOH, the size/quantity of some items is a no-go, for me. I don't want to have to store that much stuff.

Last edited:
H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
What don't you get ???? it's simple math really.........
As a single person I don't get the greatest of savings. There are still enough items that save me enough money to cover the membership fees, and then some, to make it worth it. I don't even bother with gas because it's out of my way to go there.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
There are also the 2% rewards checks issued annually that can absorb the membership fee. I purchased gasoline there once about thirty years ago and never again. A thirty minute wait to save a few cents per gallon of gasoline is a waste of my time.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
There are also the 2% rewards checks issued annually that can absorb the membership fee. I purchased gasoline there once about thirty years ago and never again. A thirty minute wait to save a few cents per gallon of gasoline is a waste of my time.
Yes, we get a fair amount of money back from Costco. With 4.5 people in my house, it doesn’t take long to get good rewards.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
The closest to me is a BJ's. the $55 annual membership is EASILY made up in savings.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
4.5? If that is a newborn or almost so, that would be a 2x for diapers. ;):D:D:D
lol. Thank god we’re done with diapers.
The .5 was referencing our oldest son who just finished college this spring. He would periodically come home to visit, and we would help with his groceries. His younger brother plays football and is 17yo. I can’t keep him fed to save my life! The younger ones twin sister eats like a normal human lol. It just adds up quickly.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It's just about saving money (quantity). It's about QUALITY of the goods.

For example, some Costco stores will sell high quality New York Steak Shabu Shabu precut/pre-sliced, which I love for hot-pots and tabletop grilling.

The fresh meats (beef, pork, chicken, lamb) and fish at Costco and Sam's Club are a lot better quality than at Crests, Walmart, Target, and all other No-Fee grocery stores.

Another thing is the shopping experience/environment. A lot of people just feel a lot better/happier going to Costco and Sam's Club compared to all the no-fee grocery stores.

So both quality and quantity (savings).

In a way, it's kind of like owning audio/video/home theater equipments. :D

For some of us, it's not just about buying the cheapest things or the best measurement numbers. Performance is salient. But we care about aesthetics and pride of ownership very much. We want to FEEL GOOD and proud of what we own every day.

Oh, BTW, I have membership to BOTH Sam's Club and Costco. :D

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
It's just about saving money (quantity). It's about QUALITY of the goods.

For example, some Costco stores will sell high quality New York Steak Shabu Shabu precut/pre-sliced, which I love for hot-pots and tabletop grilling.

The fresh meats (beef, pork, chicken, lamb) and fish at Costco and Sam's Club are a lot better quality than at Crests, Walmart, Target, and all other No-Fee grocery stores.

Another thing is the shopping experience/environment. A lot of people just feel a lot better/happier going to Costco and Sam's Club compared to all the no-fee grocery stores.

So both quality and quantity (savings).

In a way, it's kind of like owning audio/video/home theater equipments. :D

For some of us, it's not just about buying the cheapest things or the best measurement numbers. Performance is salient. But we care about aesthetics and pride of ownership very much. We want to FEEL GOOD and proud of what we own every day.

Oh, BTW, I have membership to BOTH Sam's Club and Costco. :D
Ah I see. It's about feeling good while spending more. ;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I haven't paid a separate fee in many years, am on a plan with my brother's former business. They really don't care, just make something up....

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
As a single person I don't get the greatest of savings. There are still enough items that save me enough money to cover the membership fees, and then some, to make it worth it. I don't even bother with gas because it's out of my way to go there.
As a single person, you just might not need it. But for families, it can pay off nice not counting the gas if you don't live close.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Ah I see. It's about feeling good while spending more. ;)
It's not about spending more unless you want to. Any smart person knows when to shop wisely, some maybe not. ;), saving money is a feel good moment for some.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
As a single person, you just might not need it. But for families, it can pay off nice not counting the gas if you don't live close.
Exactly right. We get a lot of money back each year, many times the cost of membership. Getting gas is hit or miss depending on where we are when we need to fill up. My truck is diesel so that’s moot unfortunately.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis