Correct panel placement

G

Goliath

Full Audioholic
Hi guys,

So I got my GIK Acoustic panels (12 in total), I haven't mounted them on the wall so for now they are just standing on the floor.

For the front speakers I've been told that the panels should be placed so that they are inside the front speakers, as close together as possible.

Now I wanted to query that, because my system is used for home theater as well. My front speakers are positioned 2 meters apart (I'm in an apartment). Each panel is like 600mm wide, so if both panels are placed inside my front speakers that means I have very little space to put in a decent sized TV.

What do you guys do? Is it just a case of compromising? If my system was a two-channel stereo setup then I guess I wouldn't have any problems mounting them that way, but it's a multi-purpose system.

What do you think?

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
First reflections can occur on the ceiling, side walls, and floor. Basically anywhere there is a reflective surface. Use a small mirror, and have someone drag it along the ceiling or walls until you see the speakers in the mirror, and place your panel there.

Glenn Kuras

Glenn Kuras

Full Audioholic
Hello Goliath,

First thanks for the purchase. :cool: I would highly recommend you contact us so we can help you with placement. The following page will give us all the info we need to help you. Please try to include pictures if at all possible.
Acoustical Room Advice - GIK Acoustics

G

Goliath

Full Audioholic
Thanks Glenn! I emailed Bryan already and he gave me great advice. My concern is that I don't want to compromise on the performance of my system, and his advice is to keep the panels on the inside of the speakers. Which I could do, but that would mean my TV would be very tiny. :(

Because I live in a flat, sitting the short way in the room, the speakers can't be positioned far enough. At present I have them spaced 2 meters apart. So as I've been told, for the ideal placement and performance you want the panel to be placed on the inside of each front speaker. I just don't know how much I'm missing by not placing the panels 100% in their correct locations.

G

Goliath

Full Audioholic
Glenn, I have a (potential) concern about these panels and perhaps you can put my concerns to rest. I ordered a number of panels from you a few years ago, and I ordered recent panels from GIK UK. I ordered 244 panels both from you and from the UK store.

Now I have both panels in my lounge. The 244 panels from you are MUCH heavier. They are also thicker at 14 cm. The panels I have from the GIK Europe division are just barely 12 cm and they are feature weight. I can lift one panel out the box with the greatest of ease with one hand. I can't do the same thing with your panel.

So I'm concerned here. Are these even the same panels? Are the performance characteristics different? Why the difference in weight between regions? I've discussed the matter with Dave, and he told me that their new designs were refined and could be made lighter than the older 244 panels (without the logo embroidered on the front).

Please explain, and if necessary, via email if it is more appropriate. Thanks.

Glenn Kuras

Glenn Kuras

Full Audioholic
I can answer that here. Around a year ago we did a total redesign of the 244 and Monster Traps and we now have a patent pending on the design. Basically we are able to make it lighter/a bit thinner and it actually performs better. It is called Flexrange. I hope you notice that it looks a lot clearer too! :)
FlexRange Technology

As far as placement Bryan is correct, but I would move them to work within your space. Sure it might not work as well but it still is going its job. ;)

G

Goliath

Full Audioholic
Thanks Glenn, that makes sense re panels and the new design. I thought I might have gotten a 242 instead of a 244 panel. :D

The positioning of the left and right panels are confusing. One person is telling me to put them directly behind the speaker, the next person says the panels should be positioned on the inside of each speaker.

So right now, the panels are placed as close as possible to the inside of each speaker which I assume is where the reflection points will take place. All I need to do is raise them up a little bit. I don't have a spare mirror handy to check the reflection points.

G

Goliath

Full Audioholic
Now if you take a look at this pic, from the GIK site :

The panels are on the outside of each speaker. :confused:

Glenn Kuras

Glenn Kuras

Full Audioholic
Behind the speaker is fine. You are trying to control boundary reflections off the front wall. For the early reflection points those would be on the left, right wall and the ceiling. See the following on how to find those spots.
Video Early or First Reflection Points - GIK Acoustics
Great to hear Bryan has been helpful.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis