j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Cool as always from Burton, visually gorgeous (great stop motion), but it left a lot to be desired compared to much of his previous work. The music was surprisingly weak from Elfman for the most part too. I liked the story, but overall it didn't have anything that really drew me in. I was a little disappointed, as were my two kids.

I liked how they dropped that Harryhausen reference :)

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
Geez, you took your kids? The commercials didn't make that seem very kid friendly to me, just creepy. Death references don't do it for me. But then I'm not much of a Burton fan to begin with.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Actually, it wasn't very geared towards kids. My kids aren't exactly little though...:)

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
I guess that just shows my age. Cartoons are for kids. :cool:

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It's not a cartoon; technically speaking, it's stop motion animation ala Ray Harryhausen. What does age have to do with it...? It's a movie, just like any other movie - they're all just stories and they all play to the willful suspension of disbelief.

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
Age has a lot to do with it. To me, cartoons are geared primarily for kids. I wouldn't go and pay big bucks to see a cartoon unless I was taking my kids... and even then I don't do it unless they nag me. ;)

And in my mind, a cartoon is animation, whether it's hand-drawn, CGI, claymation or Ray Harryhausen magic.

I have a hard time willfully suspending belief over a cartoon unless it's secondary to real life people in the movie. I enjoyed "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" because it still had people in it, the same with "Space Jam," "Toons Back in Action", and Star Wars episodes I and II. ;)

At least those have real actors to relate too.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I don't think age is the primary factor, it's only the attitude that you are "too old" that is in your head that creates your feeling on the matter, IMO, and you are certainly entitled to that opinion.

One that may be worth a rent would be Grave of the Fireflies. Definitely not intended for children. It details the harsh reality of post WWII Japan for two children, a young brother and sister.

IMO, animation offers just as much entertainment as any other genre out there. I enjoy animation, regardless of form, and I'm sure that will not abate as I get older.

and Star Wars episodes I and II.
:D Spiderman. There was so much CG in there that I thought I was watching a video game. Some movies rely too much on CG, and at times it can get distracting no matter how well done the animation is.

B

BostonMark

Audioholic
My son (age 10) and I thought the same thing! While we both enjoyed it, we couldn't help but compare it to the much better "Nightmare Before Christmas". I can still sing songs from that movie, but I can't remember any tune from "Corpse Bride". As to taking children to it, it depends on the kid, I think. My son doesn't like standard kiddie fare, and only likes it if its well done. He owns all of Mirazaki's films for example, but few by Disney(except their Pixar division).

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Shadow_Ferret said:
Age has a lot to do with it. To me, cartoons are geared primarily for kids. I wouldn't go and pay big bucks to see a cartoon unless I was taking my kids... and even then I don't do it unless they nag me. ;)

And in my mind, a cartoon is animation, whether it's hand-drawn, CGI, claymation or Ray Harryhausen magic.
Rent the animated series Elfen Lied or Saikano for your kids; afterall, these are cartoons, and thus must be for kids.... :D

-Chris

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
BostonMark said:
My son doesn't like standard kiddie fare, and only likes it if its well done. He owns all of Mirazaki's films for example, but few by Disney(except their Pixar division).
Hayao Miyazaki's films are very well done. Grave of the Fireflies was also put out by Studio Ghibli.

Pixar recently broke off it's relationship with Disney.

WmAx said:
Rent the animated series Elfen Lied or Saikano for your kids; afterall, these are cartoons, and thus must be for kids.... :D
How about Urotsukidoji? :D

B

BostonMark

Audioholic
Thanks, I just added Grave of the Fireflies to my Netflix queue. The only other Japanese director I have seen much by is Takashi Miike, but he is definitely not for children. (and of course Akira Kurosawa, who merits a thread or forum of his own) I actually have enjoyed Miyazaki as much as my son. Pixar is fun too, and yeah I knew they had parted ways with Disney, probably because they are so much better than the drek the main studio has been doing! I am never sure what Japanimation to let my son watch, because some is great, and others are rather uh.... not what he needs to see. He really loves the Japanese shows though.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
j_garcia said:
How about Urotsukidoji? :D
Hey, it is just a cartoon, afterall.... his kids should enjoy it, eh? hehehe :D

-Chris

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
BostonMark said:
Thanks, I just added Grave of the Fireflies to my Netflix queue. The only other Japanese director I have seen much by is Takashi Miike, but he is definitely not for children. (and of course Akira Kurosawa, who merits a thread or forum of his own) I actually have enjoyed Miyazaki as much as my son. Pixar is fun too, and yeah I knew they had parted ways with Disney, probably because they are so much better than the drek the main studio has been doing! I am never sure what Japanimation to let my son watch, because some is great, and others are rather uh.... not what he needs to see. He really loves the Japanese shows though.
Let me just say, that one is probably not good for younger children. It's got light moments, but the overall theme is fairly heavy.

Disney and Pixar parted ways because Disney started doing their own CG, which originally started out as small portions of the animation, but they with Chicken Little, they are going full CG. My guess is, they used Pixar's knowledge to breed their own CG team, though I'm not sure if the split was amicable or not.

WmAx said:
Hey, it is just a cartoon, afterall.... his kids should enjoy it, eh? hehehe :D
Better be sitting there when your kids watch THIS one :eek::D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis