Corner Subwoofer Placement - with rest of HTS

R

renfronics

Enthusiast
My room (rectangular shaped) unfortunately only leaves room for my entire HTS to face out of a corner. I looked at all the guides (but perhaps I missed it) - but didn't see anything about this layout. I know a corner placement is best to begin with for the sub, however, with my TV, Front floor-standing, Center, and everything else coming out of the same corner (just in front of the sub), will that create an issue? The sub works best in the corner asthetically as well (simply because it's behind everything and out of the way). Any advice??? Will this setup do any damage to the sub???

Thanks in advance,

Ben

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
So the sub is hidden behind the HT setup? It's not an issue other than being really hard to adjust the amp controls on the rear of the sub. I'm always toying with mine. There's just not the same control via the receiver over the sub as the gain/Hz dials on the sub. Sonically, that's the best place for it. You'll just need to find a happy medium on the sub settings with all your sources.

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
thats how I have mine set up, the subs are behind the RPTV and the Audio Rack and it seams to work fine, though with extremely heavy bass tracks it vibrates the cabinet on my TV which can be annoying b/c you can here it vibrating

R

renfronics

Enthusiast
So even if there's only like 18 inches between the cone of the sub and the back of the cabinet, there won't be any issues - aside from occasional deep vibrations potentially??? As long as I don't get the boomy sound, and it doesn't hurt the sub, won't be upset. Perhaps my receiver choice (Yamaha RXV 4600) will help with sub settings

To help clarify - Axiom EP500 sub, M80TIs fronts, Samsung DLP 50" TV

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have my system in a corner, and I actually prefer it that way. It gives me the ability to run a much wider stage and sort of forces you to pull the speakers forward from the display/rack, something that should always be done. It also helps push the first reflections beyond the immedate listening position, which is very handy.

Sub out of site. You can just see the corners of my stands, which are about 7ft apart, and I sit roughly 8ft away from them.

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
renfronics,

Corner placement for a sub is not always best. It can cause booming and thus reduce bass quality sound.

One way to find best location, as suggested by Audioholics, is to:

- first place your sub at the precise location of your favorite listening position
- playback a DVD or CD with good bass content
- crawl on your knees to many locations along the walls and note best results
- reposition sub at new location with the back of the sub a minimum of 19" away from the wall.
- when you "hear/feel" that bass sounds come from the front speakers rather than from the direction of the sub, you have found the proper location.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
mfabien said:
Corner placement for a sub is not always best. It can cause booming and thus reduce bass quality sound.
It all depends on the room. In general, a corner is a good place to start, but it is completely true that it may not be the best location in all rooms.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
j_garcia said:
It all depends on the room. In general, a corner is a good place to start, but it is completely true that it may not be the best location in all rooms.
.....JGarcia, I'm tired of taking pies in the face walking in ignorance.....tell me, when bass tone control is varied from flat concerning the regiment of mains-center-surrounds-rears, is the signal to the sub effected with the same variance?....please leave small and large out of it, unless it applies here....respond at your leisure....the next two minutes will be fine, haha.....

.....edit....anyone, please......

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You know, I'm not sure on that one, but I believe all bass is affected, to all speakers including the sub. What I'm not certain about is whether the LFE portion is modified as well. I'll have to try it out on my system this evening and get back to you. :) If anyone else knows, please chime in.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
j_garcia said:
You know, I'm not sure on that one, but I believe all bass is affected, to all speakers including the sub. What I'm not certain about is whether the LFE portion is modified as well. I'll have to try it out on my system this evening and get back to you. :) If anyone else knows, please chime in.
....it's doubtful the surround receiver market would add what is not really necessary, JGarcia, I don't know, but let's go with "maybe', the sub's reinforcement raises also....have your wife raise the bass tone control/compensation to the mains regiment, and stick your head right in front of the sub's firing, and ye' shall know, haha....you won't like it, and she won't look different later, haha.....

.....I say again, if this is the case, raising the bass of the mains regiment to "acceptable-with-the-sub-turned-off", and the bass tone control is 3' oclock OR above, once again, "without the sub", you're probably going to hear whompy-mud when you kick that sub in....

.....I am going to trust the posts that have said, let the sub do it's job.....

.....whether it be realism concussion cut at 40 with groups, or chest slamming bass guitar at 70, CRANKED, haha, once you elevate in mains regiment speakers that are, I'm going to say, "more", flat top to bottom, bass and treble, the more you'll want them that way....the highs are hardest to resolve, though, and you'll probably give that treble-raise up last....but that's with subssssssssssssss, arf........

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis