Cooling my Rotel 1056

S

sCiEnT

Junior Audioholic
Hello folks!
I just got a new Rotel RSX-1056 and installed it. But I only have about 0.25 inches of space above it (though theres plenty of open room to the side). Is that ok or do I need to add any additional cooling? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

WorkerBee

WorkerBee

Junior Audioholic
XXXX deleted by me XXXXX

Last edited:
B

bob knarly

Audiophyte
If you do not have a few inches above it the 1056 will get very hot.At the very least it will shorten the life of the 1056.

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
Relying on cool to the touch for equipment installed in enclosed area's is a dangerous proposition for many reasons one being that when you touch the
equipment it may not be operating the same way as when the unit is
in heavy use, and the ambient conditions may be different and will vary.
You may think everything is ok and then poof. If you don't have proper air space around the equipment there is a very easy solution to cooling receivers, amps and any other high temp radiating piece of equipment Its called a Cooling plate
available from Active Thermal Management for about $140
Hope this helps
RLA

WorkerBee

WorkerBee

Junior Audioholic
Well shiver me timbers, I'm wrong on this one . These guy's sound like they know what their talking about. :eek:

crashguy

crashguy

Audioholic
Advice from someone who agrees with the idea of cooling the receiver, but NOT on spending $140 to get it done. I would get a 3" computer fan from a parts place or junk dealer. These usually run about $5, and they run on 12V. Next, buy a 9V plug in block converter that runs at a 9V or 10V output, with the amperage necessary to run the fan you have chosen. Most fans will have the voltage and amperage on a sticker on the hub of the fan. If the fan is rated at 12V, 0.2A, I'd run a 9V converter at 300mA or so. The reason to run the fan at less than specified voltage is to slow it down to make it quiet. Place the fan on one side of your receiver, likely the side closest to the transformer inside the unit (you say you have no room on top). This will serve to circulate the air around the unit so it doesn't let heat build up heat. You can plug the converter into one of your receivers switched outlets so it comes on only when your receiver is on.

Total cost - about $10 or less.

S

sCiEnT

Junior Audioholic
Thanks guys! The Cooling Plate solution seems to be mostly for cabinets but mine is in a shelf with only about 3 inches space behind.
As for getting a computer fan thats probably what I am going to do. But the problem is that there is hardly any place for me to mount the fan at the back as well. So I think I am going to have to make a channel that will draw air from above the receiver and send it out the back thru the fan.

S

sCiEnT

Junior Audioholic
Maybe the pics will help

Pics of the front and back of the receiver. Should give a good idea of how much space I have around it.

Attachments

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis