Cooking Cables, revisted

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Ah yes, the cable cooker. While I didn't cry, I can understand why you did. The reviewers throw just enough scientific stuff in there to make it sound kind of legitimate, then make great claims as to the benefits of an item.

D

Dan Banquer

Full Audioholic
Cable Cooker

You don't need no stinkin cable cooker! You need to smother your cables in kosher chicken fat!
d.b.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
jaxvon said:
The reviewers throw just enough scientific stuff in there to make it sound kind of legitimate, then make great claims as to the benefits of an item.
Simply another way of saying "If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshiite.

As that great philosopher, Obi Wan Kenobi, once said "The force has a powerful effect on the weak minded." (or something like that)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
It can't be for cooking cables. It must be a portable cooker for grilling hotdogs while jamming some tunes. Nobody is that gullible. Although if it is for cooking cables I wonder if they sound better rare or well done? :p

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
When George Forman comes out with one I'll take it more seriously.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
This is kinda off topic, but still related to cable snake oil. River cable, bless their hearts with their no-nonsense approach, still gets some questionable reviews. Here's an excerpt from one. It says so much about the audio industry in so little (well, the consumer segment).

TechnoFile said:
And get this: each River Cables cable comes with a birth certificate! Now, this may seem like a gimmick (and that perception undoubtedly has some truth to it), but at least they’re giving you something with that gimmick. The birth certificate includes a printout of that particular cable’s factory test scores, from a physical check of the cable’s fit and finish, a test of its DC resistance, capacitance, and something called a Risetime Overshoot test.
Different cables get different tests; the bottom line is for River Cable to assure the customer that he’s getting what he paid for.

Some of our reviewers at least pretended to understand the technical language - unlike me who doesn’t even pretend such. You can take it or leave it, but you have to hand it to these people for their attention to detail and seriousness.

The prosecution rests, your honor.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis