Control4 Certified Dealer Demos

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Smart home automation has come a long way from programming macros to execute simple commands to your home theater and associated lighting. With big players like Google and Amazon getting into the smart home game it's good to see Control4 showcasing what the professionals at home automation can do that goes beyond consumer based DIY solutions. To see for yourself register for a tour of one of their 140 Control4 Certified Showrooms around the world. Read on to find out more of what Control4 has to offer for your new smart home.

control4.jpg

Read: Control4 Certified Demo Showrooms

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
showcasing what the professionals at home automation can do that goes beyond consumer based DIY solutions.
Do you have any examples of what the pros can do that an advanced DIY'er can't?

Perhaps the key words here are consumer level (rather than hobby-level)?

I'm having a hard time coming up with anything. Sure, the pros will likely get to the end solution quicker, but there is something to be said for designing and installing your own system(s) to your specs, so you understand exactly what is going on behind the scenes and have the ability to edit it to your needs.

Current reality with the proliferation of smart phones and tablets makes the touch screens cheap, RPi is an incredibly versatile platform, IoT chips are trickling down into DIY, and all of the info readily available on the web, I just don't see myself paying anyone to design nor install a system for me.

The pros would need a huge competitive advantage for that to make sense for a high-level user, and I personally don't see it.

EDIT: It really is an exciting time when a reasonably experienced user can seriously consider doing this work themselves!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
This "article" doesn't reads at all like a sponsored content. No siree
/s

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
One thing about control4 and others is they typically are bulletproof operation. 2 way IP control is essential in large setups, which includes the whole home.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja

I'm having a hard time coming up with anything. Sure, the pros will likely get to the end solution quicker, but there is something to be said for designing and installing your own system(s) to your specs, so you understand exactly what is going on behind the scenes and have the ability to edit it to your needs.

Current reality with the proliferation of smart phones and tablets makes the touch screens cheap, RPi is an incredibly versatile platform, IoT chips are trickling down into DIY, and all of the info readily available on the web, I just don't see myself paying anyone to design nor install a system for me.

The pros would need a huge competitive advantage for that to make sense for a high-level user, and I personally don't see it.

EDIT: It really is an exciting time when a reasonably experienced user can seriously consider doing this work themselves!
I can speak for Lutron as I am using both their shades as well as plug in lamp dimmers. The system runs on your home Wifi and be controlled with a smart phone, in addition to the remotes that are included. The Lutron system is completely plug n play, and is sold at Home Depot and Lowes. The shades are incredibly expensive, but there are cool people like that 'guy' @DigitalDawn (sorry Dawn, I had to) that may be able to help alleviate the burden.

Quite frankly it is totally frivolous but I wanted to get it for my wife who works her butt off producing events, many of which she controls from her phone/watch. So I thought it best for her to enjoy that control at home as well.

With Control4, I am not so sure that a B&M showroom model was a wise choice in this day and age. As you pointed out, there are plenty of apps available to be used on the various touchscreens you already own. So no, I don't think there is anything that a clever individual wouldn't be able to accomplish on their own. Really just a question of the value of your personal time, and if you are rigging some enormous multi-zone-whatever, would it be better to just pay someone?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator

I just got back from a 4 day intense Control4 Certification training. The system is very powerful but also very complex to set up. The advantages are: infinite flexibility, and bulletproof reliability (dependent on a stable network), the disadvantages are: dependent on certified installer to install and support the system, a regular consumer is limited on changes they can make once configured, and like most custom home automation systems, it's expensive.

You can definitely do more with a Control4 automation system than you can with a DIY solution but I will be exploring both options in my own home to better understand the limitations and pros/cons of each.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
This "article" doesn't reads at all like a sponsored content. No siree
/s
Actually it's a de-press release, press release. Control4 did NOT pay anyone to write this content so I don't appreciate the insinuation.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Actually it's a de-press release, press release. Control4 did NOT pay anyone to write this content so I don't appreciate the insinuation.
Gene, While I do sincerely apologize if my little humor hurt your feeling. I've met you at GTG2012 and you've have struck me as one very serious person.
Regardless, this post is as you've mentioned is a copy paste from a press release. And that is by definition a paid content.
Now it's entirely possible (maybe even likely) that Control4 didn't directly or indirectly contribute to AH site/staff or provided the content directly.
But reposting same paid (to other sources) press release could be seen in entire light - ergo my previous post. I hope you see my point.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I just got back from a 4 day intense Control4 Certification training. The system is very powerful but also very complex to set up. The advantages are: infinite flexibility, and bulletproof reliability (dependent on a stable network), the disadvantages are: dependent on certified installer to install and support the system, a regular consumer is limited on changes they can make once configured, and like most custom home automation systems, it's expensive.

You can definitely do more with a Control4 automation system than you can with a DIY solution but I will be exploring both options in my own home to better understand the limitations and pros/cons of each.

Please keep us updated as much as you are able to on the types of products they are offering for control, and especially what unique advantages their system allows for! I have no doubt it was an intensive 4 days! Security in particular is something I may be looking in to over the next year or so, and 'safety lights' from Lutron are not going to cut it....

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Gene, While I do sincerely apologize if my little humor hurt your feeling. I've met you at GTG2012 and you've have struck me as one very serious person.
Regardless, this post is as you've mentioned is a copy paste from a press release. And that is by definition a paid content.
Now it's entirely possible (maybe even likely) that Control4 didn't directly or indirectly contribute to AH site/staff or provided the content directly.
But reposting same paid (to other sources) press release could be seen in entire light - ergo my previous post. I hope you see my point.
Posting Press Releases is NOT considered paid content. Virtually every publication posts press releases for new products and this is NOT considered paid content FTC Article16 CFR Part 255 which we adhere to in all published content on this site. Control4 did NOT pay Audioholics to publish this content NOR did they even ask us to. Your comments didn't hurt my feelings but as you know, I'm a stickler for shooting down misinformation especially if it relates to the operation of this website.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Posting Press Releases is NOT considered paid content. Virtually every publication posts press releases for new products and this is NOT considered paid content FTC Article16 CFR Part 255 which we adhere to in all published content on this site. Control4 did NOT pay Audioholics to publish this content NOR did they even ask us to. Your comments didn't hurt my feelings but as you know, I'm a stickler for shooting down misinformation especially if it relates to the operation of this website.
Thanks for providing more information regarding this articles.

Did the company (in this case, Control4) paid BusinessWire for publishing this press release? Let's assume it did. Thus it's CONTENT a which was PAID for to be published. How else would you call it? The content which is provided by a manufacturer and published in it's entirely by a news organization, including its syndication/affiliates, usually clearly marked as such.

I can clearly see (based on your responses) that AH republishing press release, which we have established as paid content, free of charge does not, in fact, necessitate that AH was compensated in any way. That last point could have been beneficial to be added to last part of the article to help non-insiders to see the distinction. We aren't discussing that I am claiming that AH did anything wrong according to FTC regulations, but the mere appearance of such possibility.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Thanks for providing more information regarding this articles.

Did the company (in this case, Control4) paid BusinessWire for publishing this press release? Let's assume it did. Thus it's CONTENT a which was PAID for to be published. How else would you call it? The content which is provided by a manufacturer and published in it's entirely by a news organization, including its syndication/affiliates, usually clearly marked as such.

I can clearly see (based on your responses) that AH republishing press release, which we have established as paid content, free of charge does not, in fact, necessitate that AH was compensated in any way. That last point could have been beneficial to be added to last part of the article to help non-insiders to see the distinction. We aren't discussing that I am claiming that AH did anything wrong according to FTC regulations, but the mere appearance of such possibility.
I don't know the nature of how Control4 releases their press releases to BusinessWire. Their press release was editorialized by our writer so it's not a direct copy of the original content. This is something we've and other publications have been doing for years. If you don't like our editorial practices you have 3 choices:
1. Don't read them.
2. Don't complain about it on our forums.
3. Send me a PM regarding your concerns in the future rather than hijacking a thread on hyperbole like you did here.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
BSA - you are way off base here.

I'm both a Control4 dealer and a consumer electronics journalist with over 35 years of experience. So I feel confident in saying that press releases are editorialized for publication "all the time." As a matter of fact, back in the day, when I was a junior editor at High Fidelity Magazine; one of my jobs was to take press releases and convert them into short mini announcements.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Control4, Crestron, AMX, and URC all are glorified universal remotes that fill the massive gap between those who love sites like Audioholics, and those who have never heard of this site, don't care, and will never care... But still want good audio/video in their home.

Someone who loves DiY can do a great deal and may be able to recreate the majority of what any of these control systems can do on their own. It will take them a similar amount of time to do so (after they have learned), and they may have issues go unresolved forever due to a lack of any specialized support for the product they may be using.

I tend to go with this as a mantra: Control systems are not for those who know and love A/V... It's for your parents. It's for your wife. It's for your kids. You already know how to push all those buttons and spin those knobs and you know what that will do. The control system is there to keep the rest of the family away from those knobs and buttons and give them a unified interface throughout the home which is consistent and reliable.

It has also been my experience that the vast majority of people I work with know almost nothing at all about A/V and just want a turnkey solution in what is always a custom environment.

A basic universal remote is not typical of a control system setup. As well, while we have seen a sharp uptick in the number of smart phone controlled devices, they are almost all stand alone applications, which require just as much thought and knowledge to operate as just using the remote of the device itself.

To help give some clarity on this, check out my home setup with two (now 3) 7' tall equipment racks loaded with gear, distributing out to 24 zones of audio with half a dozen (and growing) TVs in the space. It has the flexibility to add new audio and video gear at the rack if desired as well as integration of new equipment. Additional controls have been added for things like lighting, the fireplace, and door locks. I am looking at how to add my garage door to the mix as well.

Why no thermostat? Because I don't touch my thermostat. But, it's possible to do if I want to.

It includes Alexa integration as well and I can expand upon that if I ever feel like it (we don't use it almost ever).

The key thing is that every room with a TV has the exact same remote with the exact same controls and my kids and my wife and my parents can all turn on a TV show or a movie using surround sound or in-room speakers very easily.

https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/so-here-we-go-24-a-v-zones-w-10-sources.83272/

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
@gene if you are going to explore an open source solution I would suggest looking into Home Assistant. I use it and it has been able to do everything I've needed and has more capability and device compatibility than I'd ever need.

Open HAB is another popular one, but I didn't like it too much since it was missing some key things for my use.

@BMXTRIX I'm looking to add my garage as well. There are some z-wave solutions I've had my eye on, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Lots of other projects in front of that one.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

I'm really looking forward to your experiences here!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis