Contemplating AR.com speakers

J

joetech

Junior Audioholic
I built several speakers about 25 years ago and I am considering doing it again. I have a 15w/ch intergrated Amp I just replace but still works OK. My college student daughter has a new apartment that could use some tunes. I am a High School shop teacher so finding good woodworking equipment to use is not a problem.
After looking over many designs on the internet the Ed Frias AR looks good (see Madisound.com for details). Efficient and small with some great reviews on sound quality. The 6" woofers don't get down too far and a Sub is usually recommended, but the building's owner is just below her apt so I don't want her getting evicted. Of course I couldn't possibly build it exactly like the plans call for. ;)
I am thinking of placing the port in the front and using a slot instead of a round port (holding the same cu.in) I want to do this because it A. I think it looks cool and B. I have bunch of donated Oak that would look great and daughter's apt is small and speakers will have to go right up against the wall.
I posted to another site and got a very informed response from a well known designer that going from a port to a slot isn't that big of a deal.
I am also going to make the box ID of 1/2 inch MDF and cover with 1/4 Oak ply because A. I have plenty of 1/2 inch MDF lying around and 1/4 Oak ply is fairly cheap. The back would be 3/4 inch MDF. The front baffle would be 3/4 Oak plank that was take out of an elementary school bookcase. I ran it through the planner and its very clean except for a few screw holes that I can work around. This would be attached to the 1/2 MDF front. I would countersink the drivers into the Oak. This give a front baffle thickness of about 1 1/4 inch.
Of course to accommodate the slot in the front I need to extend the length. I kept the same internal volume the same by using corner braces and then using that volume to extend the length. The only thing I'm not sure of is where to mount the xover. Usually its mounted on the 'floor' of the speaker below the woofer but if its too high it won't clear and I can't move it back because that will cover the slot port's enterance. Could I put it on the 'ceiling' by the tweeter? Don't see why not.
I guess my only question is: Have I over looked anything?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
You can do better...

Hi joetech

When I first started building speakers about 4 years ago, the AR.com was my first effort. The Madisound kit was an easy way to start because they sold an assembled crossover at a good price. It’s not a bad speaker, but for the same price you can do better. I can give you links to designs that I prefer over this one.

The Peerless 6" woofer is a good driver. The problem is that the manufacturer no longer makes it, even though it was a big seller. Check with Madisound and Parts Express to see if they still have some available.

The Peerless tweeter is not good. I would avoid using it. It has a large 5-6 dB peak that begins around 10 kHz and continues on up to 20 kHz. It’s more like a wide shelf than a peak! I could easily hear it as a bright irritating tizziness that I could not eliminate with any tone controls. There are many other good tweeters for $30 or less that are much smoother.

The AR.com crossover lacks any correction for the unpleasant sound coloration caused by narrow speaker cabinets, called baffle step. This baffle step compensation (BSC) corrects a nasal sounding exaggerated midrange. A lot of commercial small 2-ways fail to address this problem at all! To learn what BSC is see http://www.quarter-wave.com/General/BSC_Sizing.pdf. If it is present, BSC smoothes out the all-important midrange, and leads to better bass response. It will lower the sensitivity of the speaker somewhat, but it is worth doing.

If you are interested, I can email you a schematic of a corrected crossover design for the AR.com. It includes BSC and filters out the harshness of the tweeter. It improved my AR.coms significantly.

Your ideas about relocating the vent sound OK. If you want to do a slotted port, why not increase the height of the cabinet so the distance from the bottom of the woofer to top of the slot is the same as the distance from the woofer to the lower edge of the cabinet. That way you could mount the crossover on top of the “roof” of the slot.

You can mount the crossover anywhere so long as you keep the inductor coils about 3-4" away from the woofer magnet. That big magnet can interfere with the inductor coils. If you hang it from the “ceiling”, mount everything well. I use ¼" pegboard with cable ties to fasten the inductor coils and large caps, and hot melt glue or epoxy for the smaller bits. I twist all the leads together through the pegboard holes, and solder them on the backside of the board. I drive some short screws through the board into the cabinet to mount it all. It may seem like over kill, but when I used easier short cuts, stuff did come apart.

I would avoid using solid wood in speaker cabinets. Solid wood resonates more than MDF, and can make cabinets that “ring”. MDF is essentially free of resonance because it is fine sawdust glued up under pressure – it lacks any grain structure. All the best speaker cabs seem to be at least ¾" MDF. If you want the look of hardwood, cover it with veneer. Solid wood also changes shape and dimensions as humidity changes through the year. So if you make a cabinet that combines solid wood and MDF you may have cracks, split joints, or worse when the weather gets humid. ½" MDF and ¼" plywood may be OK, but you have to be careful how you attach the ply to the MDF so expansion doesn’t cause damage. I don’t know how that is done, but more experienced wood workers could tell you.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I just read your thread at the Madisound board, where you asked this same question. Just so you know, the design that I think does better than the AR for a bit less cost is Dennis Murphy's MB20. And, the corrected AR.com crossover is also Dennis Murphy's. I've built a pair of MB20s and was able to directly compare them to my AR.coms. It was no contest - I preferred the MB20s.

J

joetech

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the input. I looked at the Murphy design and check out the speakers. A little more expensive than was listed in the Madisound original post. The MDT20 are $33.00 each. Overall the whole set would exceed $200.00 which will substantially decrease the W.A.F. even if they are for our beloved daughter.
Attaching MDF to 1/4 ply is no big deal. I am an experienced woodworker. Also keep in mind I am using 3/4, very old and dry Oak in the front baffle. I wouldn't think of using a sold wood if I didn't know the source. The stuff at the lumberyard may have some instablity. This board was in a dry old classroom for 40+ years. Simple woodglue will work fine.
Another tip for anyone contempting building speakers:
Whether using veneer to ply, you will get great results using a 'Gel Vanish' There are several on the market. My local lumberyard carries 'Old Master' After applying the stain of your choice, you just wipe this stuff on and then buff it out. Let it dry overnight and apply at least 3 coats or even more. No brush marks or uneven area, no sanding between coats etc. More time consumming perhaps the results are great. I made my daughter a maple box about 18x12x8 and it looks great. Best finish I've ever put on anything.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
joetech said:
Thanks for the input. I looked at the Murphy design and check out the speakers. A little more expensive than was listed in the Madisound original post. The MDT20 are $33.00 each. Overall the whole set would exceed $200.00 which will substantially decrease the W.A.F. even if they are for our beloved daughter.
The AR.com kit is now $185 for parts. If its a matter of getting down below $200, build Murphy's MB27 design instead. The Seas 27TFFC tweeter is now $29.40 compared to the Morel MDT20 at $33. They sound very similar.

For the crossover parts, buy the metalized polypropylene capacitors from Dayton or Madisound (Bennic). Buy 16 gauge wire inductor coils only for those that are in series with the woofer. For all the other coils, use the smaller 18 or 20 gauge. Larger coils will be difficult to mount inside such a small cabinet and are not worth the cost difference. Buy the Dayton or Madisound non-inductive resistors for about $1 each. Maybe that can get you down to under $200.

joetech said:
Attaching MDF to 1/4 ply is no big deal.
I'm curious, how do you do that? Just woodglue?

J

joetech

Junior Audioholic
Carpenter's glue should work fine as well as Contact adhesive. After all plywood is thin sheets of wood glued together and this is just another layer of wood or wood product. A formica countertop is just plastic (melmine) glued down via contact adhesive to particle board. You shouldn't subject these laminates to extremes of hot and cold. Putting down a hot frying pan down on the countertop could stress the adhesive enough to loosen. If your speakers get subjected to these kinds of extreme temps.... you probably have a lot bigger problems than some delaminating speaker boxes. Not a recommended type of construction for auto apps either where extremes of hot and cold are encountered.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis