consumer's right to know

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
This is more based on a car commercial I saw so not sure how accurate the law is. I had the impression the buyer had this to me weird right to know how much the dealer bought the car for. That would go well beyond that IMO. Say someone at the dealer won a free car and wanted to turn around and sell the thing for however much profit they wanted to make, I'm not seeing where the issue is? If the buyer is still getting a great deal on it, well..... at times it seems to me it's about paying little as possible for something than consumer protection.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well am sure the dealership could get some sort of usual invoice for "cost" had the car not been "won" but on the subject of any consumer laws that entitle you to see cost....not particularly aware of any but wouldn't surprise me in today's internet sales world it's more transparent these days?

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Well am sure the dealership could get some sort of usual invoice for "cost" had the car not been "won" but on the subject of any consumer laws that entitle you to see cost....not particularly aware of any but wouldn't surprise me in today's internet sales world it's more transparent these days?
Afraid I'm not sure. The commercial I'd seen threw in a line about consumer's rights to know on the purchase price. I think it's the job of the consumer to do the research and come to the market value of the vehicle, but not to know how much the dealer paid for it. If the vehicle meets the mechanical standards than what's the issue other than to pay as little as possible? I feel like it's bordering on regulating profits, which makes it more difficult for the seller.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Afraid I'm not sure. The commercial I'd seen threw in a line about consumer's rights to know on the purchase price. I think it's the job of the consumer to do the research and come to the market value of the vehicle, but not to know how much the dealer paid for it. If the vehicle meets the mechanical standards than what's the issue other than to pay as little as possible? I feel like it's bordering on regulating profits, which makes it more difficult for the seller.
Is that a federal or state law? I'm just not familiar with such if it exists. Some do volunteer the "invoice" which may or may not represent the actual cost (like discounts or rebates arranged separately by dealer/factory). In my business career sometimes you just simply created an invoice, too....

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Is that a federal or state law? I'm just not familiar with such if it exists. Some do volunteer the "invoice" which may or may not represent the actual cost (like discounts or rebates arranged separately by dealer/factory). In my business career sometimes you just simply created an invoice, too....
I was basing my view off a commercial, so as far as I know it means nothing. I'm not sure what the laws are.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I was basing my view off a commercial, so as far as I know it means nothing. I'm not sure what the laws are.
Time to do some digging perhaps....I did a casual search and nothing particular popped up. Commercials generally aren't something to base too much assumed fact from, but might have something to it.....dunno.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis