Consumer Reports HTIB ratings

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
The Nov. 2004 issue of CR (current as of this writing) has a survey of HTIB (Home Theater in a Box) systems that would be good to consult.

Fans of a certain Japanese motorcycle, musical instrument, and electronics maker will be pleased to see that Yamaha systems occupy the top two spots in the ratings. The YHT-450 at $500 edges out the more expensive 750 for the top spot. Hmm....maybe even Mrs. Van Woofer might agree to the 450! Wonder if they have it at Costco...?

Newbies, people on a tight budget, or those who just want to keep their HT simple should get a copy! I often respond to the "what should I get on a budget" or newbie questions here with the suggestion to pick up relevant issues of CR. CR does more testing of mass-market gear than anyone and is of course objective. Besides the ratings CR always includes a good deal of basic info that will answer many typical neophyte questions.

TV's of various types (plasma, LCD and CRT), digital still cameras and digital camcorders are also reviewed. They call it the "Biggest Digital Issue Ever". Good stuff for us Audio/Video/Techno-holics!

Last edited:
Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
I think CR lost a lot of credibility when back in the 80's they insisted that the beer "Milwaukee's Best" was the best beer. When I heard that, I almost blew out the PBR I was drinking, dumped a fridge full of Hamms and Iron City into the Potomac River.

S

slmcdonald7

Junior Audioholic
Throw away Hamms? That's alcohol abuse.

Mudcat,

Look man... we're both from VA, and from your posts on this forum, I can say that I have a certain amount of respect for you, but I want to be very, very clear on this:

Don't EVER let me hear you speak of Hamms in that way again. You may trash CR all you want, but let's leave Hamms out of this. In the world of 'cheap beers', Hamms is second only to Schlitz (or Stag, depending upon my mood). I understand your level of hurt and anger at the 'beast' being declared the best beer, but it's like those public service ads say:

You can punch a pillow, or kick a wall, but never shake a baby, and never, ever even joke about throwing away Hamms.

Whew... I feel better. :D

S

slmcdonald7

Junior Audioholic
It's cool man, just know that if you ever find yourself at the edge of the Potomac with a case of Hamms in your arms again... there are people you can call for help. ;)

O

outsider

Audioholic
all this talk of cheap beer and no mention of Mickey's??
Actually, my favortite cheap beer is PBR. A few months ago I found a bar in Seattle that only had PBR on tap. The place was packed, too.

As for Consumer Reports, I'm not sure how much faith I have in them to accurately judge anything a/v related.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis