Consumer Reports Car Reliability Ratings

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
Do you go by CR reliability data (red and black circles) as a factor in choosing a vehicle?

What do you think about CRs Dec. 2008 issue statement that Ford, Lincoln and Mercury cars, except truck based vehicles, are pulling away from the other American automakers in reliability, and are now on a par with good Japanese automakers? I had not noticed this before. I guess this imay be a prelude to their April vehicle issue.

Last edited:
J

jamie2112

Banned
I would trust CR with a car report, but never with ANY audio gear...:eek:

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
I would decide on what you want first and then figure out if it has decent reliability.

I like them for appliances and such. Like vacuums, cook tops, washers, dryers, etc. I have some kickass LG washer and dryer I found in CR, it's like amazing. It even steams. Sensor dry, so cool.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I do factor in CR reliability ratings when it comes to cars. There really is no other resource like it.

I'd say Ford is the first American auto company that finally seems to "get it". Their stock price certainly isn't showing it but I think they are finally realizing what draws consumers to their foreign competition. They seem to be focusing more on quality control and quality appearance. They have a ways to go but they're doing far better than they were even a few years ago. Something that has always amazed me is the fact that so many American vehicles just don't seem to have the quality feel of their competitors. It doesn't seem like too much to ask to use quality looking interior pieces that fit together properly and don't have rough, unfinished edges. A prime example is the Ford Focus vs the Mazda 3. The Focus is based on the Mazda and is in the same price bracket. The Mazda, however, has a much higher quality look and feel on the inside. To me it was a no brainer.

One thing to note is that many of the more reliable Ford vehicles are based on platforms from Mazda and Volvo.

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Do you go by CR reliability data (red and black circles) as a factor in choosing a vehicle?

What do you think about CRs Dec. 2008 issue statement that Ford, Lincoln and Mercury cars, except truck based vehicles, are pulling away from the other American automakers in reliability, and are now on a par with good Japanese automakers? I had not noticed this before. I guess this imay be a prelude to their April vehicle issue.
CR's reliability is based on annual subscriber reports of their cars. And, they have a huge customer base to survey, so it is or should be rather accurate:D
But then, lemons can be found in even very reliable cars, I would think.:)

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
I only buy cars that have red ratings in all categories and I have few or no repairs for at least 5 or 6 years. I pick a category of car, such as compact, and I usually have about 4 or 5 choices.

farscaper

farscaper

Audioholic
I do use CR ratings. You do have to re-examine the stats and sometimes read between the lines. I don't doubt that Ford cars are starting to be more reliable, but do you want to own them?
Refinement, excitement and cool are not the words I'd use to describe Ford's current offerings.

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
Mustangs are pretty cool if you want that category of car.

farscaper

farscaper

Audioholic
Mustangs are pretty cool if you want that category of car.
Mustangs looked cooler 40 years ago.

Hopefully Ford can keep up the quality while bringing out cars with more character. Maybe from the new Verve platform?

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
Ford basically copied the Mustang from 40 years ago but downsized it. I don't know about the technology in them but my economy cars have 4 cylinder, twin cam, 16 valve, variable valve timing on the intake and exhaust, multipoint fuel injection and about 40% more horse power than a 60's car of with the same engine size. I would expect Ford would be doing something similar with their engines unless they are really behind.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Ford basically copied the Mustang from 40 years ago but downsized it. I don't know about the technology in them but my economy cars have 4 cylinder, twin cam, 16 valve, variable valve timing on the intake and exhaust, multipoint fuel injection and about 40% more horse power than a 60's car of with the same engine size. I would expect Ford would be doing something similar with their engines unless they are really behind.
So you're thinking Toyota then? You've basically described the 4 banger corolla and matrix engine. Which BTW has an oil burning problem. It needs an ECU reflash, otherwise you'll have no oil by the time you do your first service.

Working at Lexus has restored a little faith in the the Toyota name, but not in the Toyota cars. The IS250 is a great car for 31 grand (Canadian). The only downside is a Civic Si has the same horsepower.

SheepStar

Last edited:
emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
It seems like Toyota's reliability has been slipping lately. I'm curious if CR confirms that. Generally I consider CRs reliability ratings to be fairly accurate and a good source of info to look at when car shopping.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
It seems like Toyota's reliability has been slipping lately. I'm curious if CR confirms that. Generally I consider CRs reliability ratings to be fairly accurate and a good source of info to look at when car shopping.
I am the confirmation. I worked at a Toyota Dealership. We had to call back all the corolla's.

SheepStar

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
I am talking about the 09 Corolla made before April 09. The dealer made a point to tell me that variable valve timing on the exhaust for the 1800cc engine was new for 09, so I guess that gave it away. I guess not many cars have that? Does the recall involve 09 Corollas or only older ones and should I be getting a notice from Toyota? I have not used any oil in about 6000 miles so far.

I am comparing the 09 Corolla with the 1800cc engine that has 138 HP compared to a 1967 MGB which had about 96 HP for the 40% increase in power.

I also have an 08 Mazda 3 which has a 2000cc engine with 145HP. The Toyota 1800cc engine is more impressive to me than the Mazda 3 engine because it produces a good amount of HP for it’s size, while still getting 30 MPG city and 36-41 highway depending on whether you drive 55 or a little over the speed limits. Those figures are what I am averaging. We have only had the Mazda since mid-August so I haven’t collected enough data yet to get really accurate estimates, but the Mazda 3 is rated 23 MPG city and 31 MPG highway depending on which source you get the numbers from. Also I vaguely remember a BMW 2002 with a 2000cc engine with fuel injection from the early 70’s that got about 140 HP, so the Mazda3’s 145HP for that engine size doesn’t impress me as much. I can however tell a slight acceleration difference between the Toyota and Mazda, probably due to the 7HP and more torque, but I would rather have the Corolla.

My wife wanted the Mazda 3 because she liked the sporty looks and didn’t want us to have two of the same kind of car. The Mazda 3 is a sports car with all the right stuff and a few more features for about $18,400. That’s pretty close to a Corolla LE with a couple of options like 6-CD changer and remote door locks/trunk release.

The reason I mention the Mazda 3 is because I think it uses about the same engine technology as the Toyota.

We ended up getting two cars this year because my Buick Park Avenue's engine self-destructed and we needed to add a car for my daughter. One reason we ended up with those two cars is because they accepted my offers and they were at 0% financing with no down payment. The Mazda dealer did lie to me and produced a phony invoice at a higher price and ripped me off for about $500 bucks from my original offer. Lessson learned: never believe any cost crap the dealer tries to give you and for small cars their is at least 9% profit you can make offers on. I usually make an offer $300 over the 9% discount which allows the dealer to make some profit. The Toyota dealer saw my price on a piece of paper I was carrying and asked me what it was. I told him it was the price I would buy a car at, so he said ok and threw in a car that had another $250 option on it.

Last edited:
A

allargon

Audioholic General
Working at Lexus has restored a little faith in the the Toyota name, but not in the Toyota cars. The IS250 is a great car for 31 grand (Canadian). The only downside is a Civic Si has the same horsepower.
The IS series is a 2-seater (not even a coupe) pretending to be a sedan. I tried to squeeze into the back seat of that thing--no child over 4 years old would be comfortable back there.

Consumer Reports is okay with cars and reliability--just okay. (I've found Consumer Reports to be not entirely credible with electronics, cars and appliances.) True Delta (http://www.truedelta.com/) does a better job with automobiles despite having a much smaller sample size.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I am the confirmation. I worked at a Toyota Dealership. We had to call back all the corolla's.

SheepStar
So bascially what you're saying because you work or had worked there you saw all the issues that related to Toyota's. I would guess the same would hold true for any guy that works in the service department at their neighborhood Nissan or Honda dealer as well!!;)

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
You mean's CR's rec on A Maytag HT system should be discounted? :)

I would trust CR with a car report, but never with ANY audio gear...:eek:
I thought CR was recommending a Maytag HT system because of relability
:D:D JOKE :D:D

Seriously, I subscribe to CR both magazine and online and they give a good objective perspective on a wide-range of of devices and equipment. But on audio and HT someone like Audioholics is a Starship Enterprise compared to a CR Crop duster.

Having said that CR Car reports are pretty good, but look at this for even better car reports. ( Note: similar name, but no way associated!)

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/consumer-guide-new-car-search.htm

also see http://www.edmunds.com

Good luck,

MidCow2

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
The way I look at a Corolla is that it is a top notch economy car that gets better mileage (than other compacts) and most subcompacts (except for a couple), but you get a bigger car that you can drive for 10 hours on the highway without getting a bad back. (Our 2002 Echo is hard on the back for long drives, so it is now just relegated to city driving). The right way to look at a Mazda 3i Touring is that you are getting a low-cost sports car that isn’t particularly fast (trading off MPG) but has a richer looking interior and a few more features for about the same price. Both cars have about the same reliability ratings (all with red circles or half circles in consumer reports) so you just have to determine your priorities. We are happy with both cars

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
Actually 64 1/2 was the very coolest model in Candy Apple Red!

Mustangs looked cooler 40 years ago.

Hopefully Ford can keep up the quality while bringing out cars with more character. Maybe from the new Verve platform?
Actually 64 1/2 was the very coolest model in Candy Apple Red!

The the Hi perfromance 289 at 271 Hp and the first Shelby's

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
Variable Timing is not new.

I am talking about the 09 Corolla made before April 09. The dealer made a point to tell me that variable valve timing on the exhaust for the 1800cc engine was new for 09, so I guess that gave it away. I guess not many cars have that? Does the recall involve 09 Corollas or only older ones and should I be getting a notice from Toyota? I have not used any oil in about 6000 miles so far.

I am comparing the 09 Corolla with the 1800cc engine that has 138 HP compared to a 1967 MGB which had about 96 HP for the 40% increase in power.
Sorry my previous posts didn't seem to be in the flow of the topic. The Corolla is a very good reliable car. variable valve timing is not new. It has been in Hondas (Acuras) and Toyotas (Lexuses) for years. The 3.0 lite engine in my 2000 Avalon has variable valve timing. You also need to determine if the variable valve timing is only on the intake or on the exhaust also. Hondas first Civic's in the early 70s had CVCC engines. My 95 Acura GSR had variable input timing abeit only two ca, but you could really feel-it changes around 4,500 RPM.

Also, remember if you start going back in time cars weighed a lot less and had a lot fewer safety features. Even so, most didn't get very good mileage. My 4-4-2 only got 7 in town and 12 on the road with its 455 cu in 356 Hp V8. Pure muscle car!

Later look for the new 4-door Honda Insight coming 1Q2009 or the revised Prius dubbed a 2010 model coming mid 2009.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis