Connection question

B

blowfin

Audiophyte
So I would like to run a second pair of speakers in the bar area of my basement. I would also be running what amounts to a 5.1 system in the main room of the basement. Since the bar is off to the side, what type of connections do I need on a receiver to run those "side"speakers in the 2-channel mode while I am running the "main" 5 speakers in 2 channel mode as well in the other room? When I look at the back panels of receivers, I see front left, front right, center, surround left, surround right and subwoofer. How and more importantly where do I hook up the speakers for that side room to? Many reeivers boast of second zone capability but the connection are not there. :)I hope this makes sense!
Thanks

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
"zone" connectios are for two-channel use, not 5.1.

As for zones, these are generally "line level" (red/white RCA jacks) outputs which require additional power amps to drive speakers. Some 7.1 receivers allow you to reconfigure them use two of their internal power amps for this if you are running a 5.1 system for "zone 1".

I've never seen a receiver that allows the use of two 5.1 systems.

Plus, all receives I've seen that allow an additional zone only allow this for analog sources so 5.1 would not work, anyway.

But, if your receiver offers "A" and "B" speaker outputs, you can run a stereo pair to the bar. These will share most likely an existing amplifier with whatever speakers are running the "A" channel. I think there are some exceptions that allow extra internal amplifiers to be used for these though.

Personally, since to you want to run both stereo AND 5.1 in the bar, I'd consider a separate receiver and source for this.

B

blowfin

Audiophyte
I think I found that the Integra dtr 30.1 has the connection for the second zone?

I see the connection on the back, not sure if this would work?:)

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
So I would like to run a second pair of speakers in the bar area of my basement. I would also be running what amounts to a 5.1 system in the main room of the basement. Since the bar is off to the side, what type of connections do I need on a receiver to run those "side"speakers in the 2-channel mode while I am running the "main" 5 speakers in 2 channel mode as well in the other room? When I look at the back panels of receivers, I see front left, front right, center, surround left, surround right and subwoofer. How and more importantly where do I hook up the speakers for that side room to? Many reeivers boast of second zone capability but the connection are not there. :)I hope this makes sense!
Thanks
If you want to run the 5.1 and other zones at the same time, you'll be better off using a separate receiver. When 5.1 is being used on a receiver, the other zones don't always feed full range audio to Zone 2 and if Zone 2 is used, it may cancel the surround modes. Look in the manual for this info. Also, using speakers B along with speakers A puts additional load on the amp. Having a separate receiver allows cleaner sound for both zones and more flexibility.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I see the connection on the back, not sure if this would work?:)
It will provide power amps for a stereo pair of zone two speakers but as for a second 5.1 setup in zone two, I can't see it.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
I think we're a little confused here? Are you wanting 5.1 + 2, or 5.1 + 5 + 2, or 5.1 + 4, or ???:confused::confused:

B

blowfin

Audiophyte
here is what I am looking for..

5.1 plus 2.1, not 5.1 plus 5.1. As far as the amplifier section, can the integra handle it at 90 watts per channel?
Thank You to all, this has been helpful.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
5.1 plus 2.1, not 5.1 plus 5.1. As far as the amplifier section, can the integra handle it at 90 watts per channel?
Thank You to all, this has been helpful.
You can get 5.1 plus 2.0, each with their own separate amplifiers.

B

blowfin

Audiophyte
so I would need two separate receivers? THe Integra 30.1 has connection for 2 addition speakers in addition to the 5.1 connections.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Most any 7.1 multi-zone receiver will do the 5.1 + 2.0. The second zone generally uses the rear channel connections/amps which need to be reconfigured internally. The other issue is that any source intended for multi-zone usage also needs to be connected using analog connections. Digital used for the main zone is not routed to the other zones.

There are also some receivers, if I’m not mistaken, that can also be configured to use the rear amps for a zone B which mimics what’s being played in the main zone. Yamaha comes to mind, but I’ll have to check to be sure.

And yes, we're starting to see 7.2 receivers, but the manuals need to read carefully to discern their true capabilities.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
The Pioneer 01 that you're considering has the features I mentioned above, except being 7.2.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis