Connection of intergrated amp to amplifier

S

SPT

Audiophyte
Hello all

I have recently purchased a Yamaha MX-A5000 amplifier (11 channel) to hook up to my existing Yamaha RX-V1083 intergrated amplifier (7.2 channel). Hopefully this questions does not get lost in translation, but I will try. In both the RX-V1083 and MX-A5000 is a single transformer/power supply doing the work. Is there an advantage if it can be done, to connect some of my home theatre speakers using preouts to the amplifier and some speakers connected directly to the intergrated amp using existing speaker connections i.e. the front left, right and centre speakers on the MX-A5000 with the rear and surrounds on the RX-V1083. My reasoning being the power to drive all speakers will, be shared as it will utilise both transformer/power supplies rather than loading all onto the MX-A5000. To me it seems a waste having a transformer/power supply sitting in the intergrated amp not doing much work, while loading everything onto the amplifier.

Hopefully the above isn't a dumb question.

Also, I am looking at replacing my front main speakers and would appreciate if anyone has thoughts on either the ELAC 247.3's or Dynaudio Excite 38's. What speakers would you go for?

Cheers

Dave

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
You are right in theory, but in practice it really shouldn't make any audible difference because as Gene explained in his review:

https://www.audioholics.com/av-preamp-processor-reviews/yamaha-aventage-cx-a5000-mx/processor-and-amp-measurements

Before people scoff at the current limiting of the MX-A5000 it’s important to note that Yamaha tends to be very overly protective with their amplifiers. The chance of the MX-A5000 going into current limiting mode in real world usage is very low since we don’t listen to simultaneous correlated continuous test tones.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis