Connecting TV, VCR, DVD recorder and cable box

W

wu_weidong

Audiophyte
Hi all,
I'm thinking of buying a Pioneer DVD recorder and connecting it to my TV, VCR and cable box, but I want to know about my connection options first.

I'm going to use the VCR and DVD recorder separately, i.e. VCR for daily recording purposes, DVD recorder for viewing DVDs and occasional archiving of favourite shows. However, I want to connect the 2 with my cable box, so I can record cable programs without having to unplug and plug cables from the cable box to the recording device I'm going to use. I would then be able to watch/record using the VCR on the TV's AV "channel" and the DVD recorder on the Component "channel".

I was told to get an A/V splitter (the one with Red/Yellow/White jacks or ports or whatever you call them) to split the signals from the cable box to the VCR and DVD recorder. I would then have to connect the cable box to the A/V splitter (input), and from the splitter to the VCR and DVD recorder (2 separate output), then individually from the VCR to the TV's AV ports (which is the connection I have now), and DVD recorder to the TV's Component ports (it's labelled DVD input/Component on the back of my TV and has Y/Pa/Pr and 2 audio ports). Is this right? Also, can anyone find pictures of what an A/V splitter looks like?

I'm also quite confused about what RF is. My impression is that to use the DVD recorder's TV tuner, I need RF connections, but as I can do without the TV tuner, I only need AV connections for the recorder. To record only cable programs, I'll just use the AV "channel" of the DVD recorder. Am I right?

Sorry for writing such a long post but I'm a beginner and I just want to at least have an idea of what I'm doing before buying the DVD recorder, instead of buying it first only to find out it doesn't work the way I want it to.

Thank you very much.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Good questions.

A few return questions:

1. Why keep your VCR at all? I mean, why the hesitation to not just use your DVD recorder to do what it is designed to do? Record shows!!! Use it every day, love it way more than your VCR. DVD-RW means you can record over and over on the same disc, with better quality, and instant access to your shows.

2. What type of cable TV are you recording? Digital cable? Regular cable channels? HD cable box? Premium channels?

Look at the back of your cable box... it may have multiple composite (yellow) and s-video (round/4-pin) connectors on the back. You can make use of them for recording. The yellow composite can go to your VCR, the s-video can go to your DVD player.

RF is modulated video carried on a coaxial cable. More generally - it is that piece of 'cable' that the cable company uses that connects to your cable box on the back. The actual connector that it attaches to on the back of your cable box is a F-type connector. Often referred to as RF.

If you look your cable box out to your VCR and then put your VCR on (typically) channel 3, then that can work as well, then your VCR should have a F-out which you can connect to the DVD-R which will be able to record.

Lots and LOTS of ways to hook it up to make it work, but the best way would be to use S-video directly out of the cable box to your DVD-R and digital audio (if available) or direct analog audio (red & white RCA type connections).

W

wu_weidong

Audiophyte
BMXTRIX said:
2. What type of cable TV are you recording? Digital cable? Regular cable channels? HD cable box? Premium channels?
Right now, I have an analog cable box, but I should change it to a digital cable box soon.

vze81cra

Audiophyte
Record just audio from tv movies,documentaries, etc

Hi,
I'm a newbie however I've learned a lot from your answers. Recently, I had a musical video which I'd lent to a friend who worked in the tv arena. I asked him to copy just the music which is what he did to a cassette. What type of receivers and or accessories are needed to hook up to the TV that will alow me to record to a CD or something like that.
Thanks and very eager to learn.

Mike aka vze81cra

S

southeastnavy

Enthusiast
Have you considered using a DVR?!

If you haven't tried a DVR (Digital Video Recorder) you have not watched TV. You should really consider it.

1. Most cable companies offer the box for $10/month extra, so you don't even have to buy the equipment.

2. You can still use your DVDR to permanently archive the shows you want to keep.

3. It completely changes the way you watch TV. Instead of having to watch what is on, you can watch whatever you have recorded and in full digital quality.

4. When you get it, you'll probably have S-Video outputs, as well as Composite (Yellow). Use the S-Video for best results.

I

Isabel322

Audiophyte
different issues w/dvdr and cable

Hi,

I had a dvr through the cable people and that was all good, but spendy because I had to buy a premium digital package to get the dvr. I have opted to scale back the cable package (though still a digital box) and instead, invest in a dvdr with a hdd.

My question: do I need extra cables to connect the tv, new dvdr, and current cable box ? If not, how do they all go together (easiest way ?)

Step by step would be helpful. I do have the red, white and yellow inputs on the front of the tv.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Isabel, welcome to the forum!

We'll need some more info about your system to answer your question. Odds are, yes, you'll need to use more cables because you are adding a component to your system.

Which equipment are you using - TV, DVDR, cable box? And, how are you currently hooking things up?

I

Isabel322

Audiophyte
RE: different issues w/dvdr and cable

Hi,

Well...am about to purchase a Phillips dvdr, next week probably. Current set up is tv, normal dvd player, and digital cable box. Not fancy, but does what I want.

When I get the new toy, wondering how to make that all work together.
Likely will move the current dvd player to a different room.

As far as cables, I think the main cable from the wall goes into the box and the tv has red yellow and white plugs into the back of the tv. the dvd player plugs into the av plugs (same three colors) in the front of the tv.

That's all I really know. :( any set up info would be great.

isabel

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Isabel,

I don't know much about digital cable, so I'm going to offer a couple of suggestions. First, though, I have a comment about the Philips. If you are getting the DVDR3575H/37, then you might want to do a firmware update. Check out this link for info. If you choose to do the update, there are some steps not in the directions that I'd be happy to help you with. I just walked my father through it last week.

Now, for the suggested connections assuming that you're getting the Philips DVDR5375H/37.

Suggestion 1
If you don't get any pay movie channels, then you might be able to get away with not using the cable box (again, I don't know much about digital cable). So, here's my first suggestion:
1. Simply replace the cable box with the Philips DVDR and use the existing connections. Connect the cable from the wall into the new Philips DVDR using the Philips' "ANTENNA IN" jack, and connect the Philips DVDR to the TV using the three red/white/yellow cables using the Philips' "AV OUT" jacks.
2. When setting up the Philips, be sure to have it do its automatic channel selection using the "Cable (Analog/Digital)" selection.

Suggestion 2
If that doesn't get you all of the channels that you want, then I'm assuming that you'll need to use the cable box. You'll want to keep the cable box connected to the wall exactly the way that it is now. You probably have some choices as to how to connect the DVDR and TV up to it. To help you with that, it would be very helpful if you would tell us the brand and model number of the cable box so that we can look it up and check out the available connections.

Sorry for suggestion 2 ending so quickly, but I realized that there are a number of possibilities and I need to get going at the moment. So, please let us know the info on your cable box, and I'll respond.

Adam

I

Isabel322

Audiophyte
firmware update and other options

Hi Adam,

I appreciate your help. I actually don't have any pay channels, so it may well work that the dvdr can just replace the cable box. We'll see. Let me try that avenue first. I am mainly recording shows on basic cable and network. So maybe that will do it.

I will also look into the firmware situation. I may have to go get some blank disks for that to happen, but I'd love the extra non-included steps. When did your dad buy his ?

Thanks and I'll check back.
Isabel

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Isabel,

Happy to help out all that I can. My parents got theirs a couple of weeks ago. The 3575 just came out in June, so I'm guessing that most of the ones in the stores are from the initial production run and have the same firmware on them. It was actually very easy for my dad to update it once I got on the phone with him. He just gets nervous that he's going to break something if he does it wrong.

Adam

M

mot29

Audiophyte
I am new here -- found this thread through a google search -- can I maybe get some assistance by updating this thread?
I have a DVD recorder that I'd like to add to my setup.
I have RCN high-def cable using a Motorola cable box.
The DVD recorder manual says take connect the cable box to the RF in on the recorder and that I can then record what I'm watching, but nothing else.
Is there any way to set things up to record one program while watching another?
Thanks.
tom

R

riskybizz

Audiophyte
Riskybizz

My question is basic but I would like professional advice so any help will be appreciated. I am switching over to Dish-Network HD and installing a HD television for the first time. Currently I have two leads (RG-6) run from the roof top dish to the receiver in my room. These leads are all buried behind the walls and I have no way of feeding additional RG-6 to this location without tearing up the drywall. So will (2) RG-6 coax leads be enough for my new install to work in true HD? I am naturally somewhat scepticle about leaving this all up to the Dish installer when he arrives. I know i'll need a new roof top dish and thats fine but what about my RG-6 leads.

Thank you,

Santa Fe, N.M.

M

mercury54

Audiophyte
recording music from tv

I have a Sony dvd/vcr recorder. I am connected to Charter cable. Is there anyway I can record music from the music channels to a cd/dvd to play in my car through this recorder. And if so, how do I do it and what connections do I need? Thanks so much for the help.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I have a Sony dvd/vcr recorder. I am connected to Charter cable. Is there anyway I can record music from the music channels to a cd/dvd to play in my car through this recorder. And if so, how do I do it and what connections do I need? Thanks so much for the help.
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Which Sony recorder do you have (model number), and which cable box (manufacturer and model number) do you have? If you let us know, we can look up some specifics on those units and be better able to help you out.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis