Connecting TV to audio receiver

C

cleveille21

Audiophyte
Hi everyone,

I’m trying to connect my new LG tv through my existing receiver/speakers and am having issues. I’m not an audiophile by any means so I’ll apologize in advance for any incorrect terminology I use.

My tv and receiver are linked at the end of this thread.

What I tried:
  • connecting the tv to the receiver via an optical cable
What happened:
  • cable, Hulu, Netflix, Disney+ had no audio
  • When I told my phone to play music through the tv I received audio through my receiver/speakers (like I want regulat cable/streaming to provide me, I’m pretty sure it’s via airplay)

What do I have to do to get my tv audio through my receiver/speakers?

Any help is appreciated!

Tv: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-86-class-un8500-series-led-4k-uhd-smart-webos-tv/6401777.p?skuId=6401777
Receiver: https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/hifi_components/r-n301/index.html

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What are your audio output settings in the tv and for each of the apps? You have your cable connected to the tv rather than the receiver for a particular reason?

C

cleveille21

Audiophyte
The only thing I did to try and connect my tv to the receiver was connect the optical cable between the two.

on the tv I changed the “sound out” setting to “optical” and I changed the receiver setting also to “optical”. The setup works if I use airplay, but not for anything else.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The only thing I did to try and connect my tv to the receiver was connect the optical cable between the two.

on the tv I changed the “sound out” setting to “optical” and I changed the receiver setting also to “optical”. The setup works if I use airplay, but not for anything else.
There may be another setting for audio aside from the routing of the signal in your tv (for handling codecs).

C

cpd

Full Audioholic
What are you using for sources? A cable box? What are you streaming hulu, etc. with (the TV Apps)?

Do any video sources (other than streaming music through your phone) work with the optical cable?

C

cleveille21

Audiophyte
Ahh, thank you both! It turns out there was another audio menu (not very intuitive) and all I had to do was change the “digital sound out” from auto to PCM and it played through the receiver!!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ahh, thank you both! It turns out there was another audio menu (not very intuitive) and all I had to do was change the “digital sound out” from auto to PCM and it played through the receiver!!
Congrats. The setting for digital audio out would be likely fine with an avr that could handle the codecs involved that your stereo receiver lacks the ability to handle (like Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital Plus which are very commonly used for video cable and streaming services).

C

cleveille21

Audiophyte
Oh ok, so from the sounds of it I essentially disabled the ability for the audio to be “surround sound” audio? Is that a good way to summarize it?

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
Possibly. But one other thing I would check is the first is the firmware revisions and update if possible from the manufacturer.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh ok, so from the sounds of it I essentially disabled the ability for the audio to be “surround sound” audio? Is that a good way to summarize it?
Yep pretty much, but since you don't have any way to use it, no loss until you perhaps get an avr or something.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis