Connecting older receiver/amp to modern blu-ray and hdtv

F

fanewman

Audiophyte
I have an old Yamaha receiver/amp. AVX500- 1990 vintage. works great with my KEF speakers. Want to hook up with Samsung BD-F5700 Blu-ray and Samsung Series 6 HDTV. The issue is the Blu-ray has only 2 outputs- HDMI, which has to go to TV, and digital audio out, for which receiver does not have in, as far as I can tell. Can connections be made through the TV with good results?

I can post schematics of the gear if it will help.

Do I need to buy modern amp?

If this issue was covered in previous forum I appreciate the re-direction.

Thanks.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I highly recommend to CAREFULLY read the manual for your TV regarding that digiital audio out. If the output type is PCM or Dobly/DTS variants.
If prior - the solution is simple - a inexpensive dac should do the trick, the latter - such Dac are harder to find and it would be cheaper for you to get a whole new receiver like this Denon for example - http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00CALM2JY/ref=olp_fsf?ie=UTF8&condition=used&freeShipping=1
Used from amazon Warehouse deals means it's a fully functional returned new unit or re-packaged new unit due to damaged original packaging.
In ether case they are covered by 3 years original Denon warranty.

Also keep in mind that without a modern HDMI receiver like one above (which you'd need to connect your BD player to) you wouldn't be able to get highest audio quality from your music/movies BDs

F

fanewman

Audiophyte
Thanks for the response. I'll have to do some reading to understand your advice on connections, etc. I did see that the TV has audio format of PCM or Dolby Digital.

The old receiver puts out great stereo sound, which I'm after, connected to KEF speakers, and connected to Spotify via PC earphone jack to CD inputs on receiver. Also, can get TV sound to receiver via connection from Uverse box audio out to audio in LD jacks on receiver. Just need to solve getting Blu-ray audio to receiver. I had hopes that a connection could be made from digital audio out of the Blu-ray to some type of input on the receiver rather than go through the TV.

I'm sure that my neophyte is showing right now.

In the end I may have to go the new receiver route; although I have little interest in 5.1, 3D, etc.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks for the response. I'll have to do some reading to understand your advice on connections, etc. I did see that the TV has audio format of PCM or Dolby Digital.

The old receiver puts out great stereo sound, which I'm after, connected to KEF speakers, and connected to Spotify via PC earphone jack to CD inputs on receiver. Also, can get TV sound to receiver via connection from Uverse box audio out to audio in LD jacks on receiver. Just need to solve getting Blu-ray audio to receiver. I had hopes that a connection could be made from digital audio out of the Blu-ray to some type of input on the receiver rather than go through the TV.

I'm sure that my neophyte is showing right now.

In the end I may have to go the new receiver route; although I have little interest in 5.1, 3D, etc.
We are passed the analog sunset, so you will have to put everything through the TV.

Your best solution is a modern AVR.

However you can use the Toslink optical out from your TV with a DAC. Most of these units do not work well. There is one you can get from the UK and it is excellent. It has a volume control and a headphone and RCA outputs. It is this one sold by Maplin Stores. You can order it from the UK as it is USB powered.

This is by far the best device I know for this application.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Fiio is very known and solid brand. It should do most of functions of DAC TLS mentioned, but it's much cheaper to buy. Also check out amazon reviews.
Make sure to set your TV to PCM !! Most of these not supporting Dolby Digital as I mentioned above.
http://www.amazon.com/D3-Digital-Converter-Optical-Toslink/dp/B005K2TXMO/ref=pd_cp_e_1
The DAC I'm recommending is well worth the extra money. A volume control is really important as input sensitivities are all over the map. The Maplin unit is incredible good and has a huge adjustment range. For this application the is by far the best device I have come across.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
The DAC I'm recommending is well worth the extra money. A volume control is really important as input sensitivities are all over the map. The Maplin unit is incredible good and has a huge adjustment range. For this application the is by far the best device I have come across.
hmm, ok I will agree on potential importance of volume control, but still I don't think maplin is selling anything unique.
For example this one looks identical and still cheaper ;):p
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Optical-Converter-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B003XCHCLC

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis