Connecting multiple receivers for multiple zones

B

big PETE

Audiophyte
Good Morning everyone -- I could use some help.

I feel like I should be able to do this. But as I get older and my kids continue to reduce my brain capacity to a minimum....maybe someone here gets what I'm saying.

I'm trying to hook up three receivers in order to stream music across 8 zones. I have two Onkyo TX-RZ730s and a slightly older Yammy.

The goal is play the same source (audio only) in all zones as close to in sync as possible. Two of the runs are around 40 feet. Do I use HDMI, optical, RCA? Do I use splitters?

Any help is truly appreciated.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why not simply get a distribution amp more suited to the purpose? I can't imagine trying to use three receivers for this. What is the source of the music?

B

big PETE

Audiophyte
The reason is I sold my six zone amp with the last house and I'[m trying to stay married --- If I bring another amp through the door it could get ugly. Do you have any advice regarding using what I have? Either way I appreciate your feedback.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Good Morning everyone -- I could use some help.

I feel like I should be able to do this. But as I get older and my kids continue to reduce my brain capacity to a minimum....maybe someone here gets what I'm saying.

I'm trying to hook up three receivers in order to stream music across 8 zones. I have two Onkyo TX-RZ730s and a slightly older Yammy.

The goal is play the same source (audio only) in all zones as close to in sync as possible. Two of the runs are around 40 feet. Do I use HDMI, optical, RCA? Do I use splitters?

Any help is truly appreciated.
You can't link them with HDMI. 40ft is far too long for RCA, so that would require units with balanced connection.

I personally don't see a way to avoid a distribution amp.

What is the pressing need to have all systems playing the same source at once? I have never understood that. A home is not a shopping mall.

I have three systems here, but would never dream of connecting them. I have to say, that I permanently scratch my head wondering what sort of universe people who do what you suggest inhabit.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
The reason is I sold my six zone amp with the last house and I'[m trying to stay married --- If I bring another amp through the door it could get ugly. Do you have any advice regarding using what I have? Either way I appreciate your feedback.
If the equipment is in one area/closet/rack, you can use something like the Art HeadAmp, which has one stereo in jack and four stereo out, with a control for each. I have used them- they work well.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, this is an interesting one. I also would like to know the source of the music to be spread over 8 zones, the location of the receivers and the model of Yamaha. I’m assuming these are all 2 channel zones.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Easiest way is the way I do it to get my various avrs playing same thing for whole-house sound when I'm doing stuff in/out of all the rooms.....Audio Chromecast units, you can use the Google Home app to have them all play same content simultaneously (or singly). Just hook one up to each avr (and it can be either an analog or optical input depending on the age of the receivers). They're discontinued but last I checked some NOS is still available at fleabay.

J

Jerkface

Audioholic
Wouldn't this be an ideal application for a Denon HEOS system? You can get the DAC units, and they'll all sync up with each other.

B

big PETE

Audiophyte
Thank you for the input everyone!

TLS -- You might want to try some Head & Shoulders for that scratchy head!

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Did you find a way to make it work? Everyone is just guessing without knowing more about the setup.

B

big PETE

Audiophyte
I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I think I'm going to use the Chromecast recommendation. Instead of hooking up three receivers I'm also going to hook up my workshop and barn for truly a truly seamless experience. Looking forward to throwing some parties in a judge-free covid setting. Thank you all again!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis