Connecting computer to stereo

J

John Thompson

Audiophyte
A newbie question for you. I am in the process on renovating my house and want to add the wires so that I can run the music on my computer through my stereo. Right now the computer is in one room and I would like to go to 2 different rooms. What is the best method of wiring this up?

THanks

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
We require more information to help you. What receiver, and soundcard are you using? Does the soundcard have the stereo or multichannel analog outputs? Does the computer have a firewire (4 or 6 pin)?

Why?

Some receivers have multi-zone capabilities, firewire and multichannel (analog) inputs. If you have these, it will be easy, if not, you'll need some extra amps or another receiver.

J

John Thompson

Audiophyte
Hi
For a reciever I have the Denon AVR1403 and for a sound card I have SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio with a line in, line out and the microphone connector. The computer does not have firewire connection. In the second room I would be using a second reciever, dont have it yet but am getting on. How would I go about hooking it up to the Denon reciever I have right now, as it is about 35 feet away from my computer?

John

J

John Thompson

Audiophyte
More specifically, what type of cable should I use? I know I don't have a good sound card now, so if I did upgrade the soundcard at a later date would I have to run new cables??

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
I don't know how well it would be for long runs price wise, but I just went to rat shack and bought a miniplug to RCA adaptor (get the little black plastic one, the cable type ones suck), and hook up whatever interconnects you desire.

FWIW, Swans uses one of these exact adaptors with the M-200 "hi-fi" computer speakers...and by computer speaker standards, those things are god.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis