Connecting a turntable

5.1 DTS guy

Audioholic
Well, I have a semi-old turntable and I want to connect it to my receiver. I know to connect the rca stereo plugs into my AUX input, but what about the ground wire? On some old Sansui receiver I have, theres a special connection to input the ground wire, but on my Yamaha, there isn't. I think its meant to prevent short circuiting or something like that. What should I do, and do you guys think its ok just to connect the stereo plugs?

Anyways, how is audio quality on vinyl? Is it unique or even worth going through the process of setting it up? I'm pretty young so I'm used to digital audio. I would really like to listen to my Beatle discography that I have on vinyl.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
You cannot connect a turntable to the Aux inputs unless the turntable has a built in preamp (highly doubtful). Turntables output a very low-level signal that needs to be boosted and EQ'd. The reason for the equalization is that all the music cut into the record has been equalized so it transfers better to the medium and can be picked up properly by the cartridge. Since your receiver does not have a phono stage, you need to pick up an external one that outputs a normal line-level signal that can then be connected the aux input. P arts E xpress part number 245-876 should fit your needs perfectly. Keep in mind that it uses an RIAA equalization, so records that use a different equalization (EMI, FFRR, or Columbia) will need a different preamp. I'm also not sure if the premap is designed for MM or MC cartridges, so you will need to find out what kind of cartridge is on the turntable and what ART recommends (it doesn't say on their website, so I think an e-mail is warranted).

5.1 DTS guy

Audioholic
jaxvon said:
You cannot connect a turntable to the Aux inputs unless the turntable has a built in preamp (highly doubtful). Turntables output a very low-level signal that needs to be boosted and EQ'd. The reason for the equalization is that all the music cut into the record has been equalized so it transfers better to the medium and can be picked up properly by the cartridge. Since your receiver does not have a phono stage, you need to pick up an external one that outputs a normal line-level signal that can then be connected the aux input. P arts E xpress part number 245-876 should fit your needs perfectly. Keep in mind that it uses an RIAA equalization, so records that use a different equalization (EMI, FFRR, or Columbia) will need a different preamp. I'm also not sure if the premap is designed for MM or MC cartridges, so you will need to find out what kind of cartridge is on the turntable and what ART recommends (it doesn't say on their website, so I think an e-mail is warranted).

How much do you think that will cost me?

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
The price on the phono preamp is $45 + shipping (and + tax if you live in Ohio or Michigan). Sorry I can't post the link to the PE website, it's banned on the forums because they were being a-holes about advertising. Go to the PE website and search for the part number in my previous post.

5.1 DTS guy

Audioholic
Thanks for the help, do you think the audio quality/uniqueness is really worth the trouble?

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I kinda think so. There's a "warmth" to vinyl that I enjoy (though I don't have a turntable now). I grew up spinning vinyl on my dad's system, so there's also a nostalgia aspect. Granted, there are clicks and pops, but I still like the sound. You should also make sure to pick up some cleaner and brushes so don't grind dust into the your records' groves with the needle.

A

AudioArcher

Audioholic
Turntable

Vinyl is fantastic and if your records are taken care of properly some of them will definitely sound better than CDs. Keep your records clean and store them in plastic sleeves and store them standing up, not stacked on one another. Ensure your cartidge is in good condition, demagged and set-up correctly as far as VTF (vertical tracking force) and anti-skate goes. Hopefully you have those specs in your owners manual. It's important to make sure the table is as level as possible also. More than likely you have a Moving Magnet cartridge. Moving Coils are relatively expensive. There is a MM phono preamp on www.needledoctor.com called a LKG PRE600 for $30 or you can get a Btech B26 for $50. These should do you fine. Then you can use that Aux connection.They've got all kinds of turntable gear on there.
I really love my vinyl. I have many half-speed masters that just blow away the equivalent CD.

Have fun !!

A

AudioArcher

Audioholic
Vinyl

P.S They have plenty of different LP cleaning stuff on Needledoctor as well.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
The beauty of vinyl is that you can change the sound in a significant fashion by merely switching cartridges, in much the same way that changing speakers changes the overall sound of the system. ...which makes sense since both cartridges and speakers are transducers are, by their very nature, euphonic devices.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
You can pick up a preamp at RadioShack for around $15 I believe.

A

AudioArcher

Audioholic
Phono

Hi Ho, I didn't see one at Radio Shack for $15 but I did see one for $25. That would probably work just as well adn there are RSs everywhere.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
Hmmm, the one I saw must have been on sale or something. The price is now at $25. That's still better than $45 + shipping. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis