connecting a PC to my 5.1 receiver

h2oyo

h2oyo

Audioholic Intern
Hello,
Can I use a usb to hdmi cable to connect my laptop to one of my 5.1 receivers hdmi ports and stream from my laptop through my receiver and play through all my speakers and show on the tv? I'm guess not just because it is to easy lol. Thanks for the help

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello,
Can I use a usb to hdmi cable to connect my laptop to one of my 5.1 receivers hdmi ports and stream from my laptop through my receiver and play through all my speakers and show on the tv? I'm guess not just because it is to easy lol. Thanks for the help
It will work to an extent. You will have to add additional software to convert a USB port to a video port.

The connection will not support 5.1 only 2.1

The connection will not transmit HDCP protected material which is a lot.

Only you can decide if it is worth the trouble.

You really need a computer with an HDCP certified HDMI port. Anything else will have a significant element of frustration.

selden

selden

Audioholic
Some TVs have a VGA input and stereo audio inputs. Check to see if your TV has those connections. Most laptops have a VGA output and stereo audio outputs, which might make that the easiest connection method. All you'd need to get would be the appropriate cables.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
What laptop do you have?

For example, modern Macs can output full HD and surround sound from their mini DisplayPort/Thunderbolt jacks, and they also can output digital audio from their audio jack.

h2oyo

h2oyo

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the help and suggestions. I have an old Toshiba laptop. Its nothing new or exciting. I guess maybe I should see about getting a new laptop. We have gotten rid of cable and streaming is how I can watch movies and TV now. My wife got me a rabbit and it has a lot of regular tv shows that I don't get to watch much any longer. I just cant get into watching TV on my laptop and would much rather have it streaming through my laptop to my receiver to my TV.

h2oyo

h2oyo

Audioholic Intern
I'm sorry I do not know what type or the proper names for them are. I will attempt to describe them as I cant seem to insert a picture.I have USB ports, 1 small round connection that I believe is an S video, and a small square port that looks like it says is400 under it. If I can figure out how to put a picture on here I will add the picture.
Thanks again

h2oyo

h2oyo

Audioholic Intern
comp connections.jpg

Ok here is a picture of the side of my computer, the other side has 2 more usb port.

selden

selden

Audioholic
The 15-pin connector all the way to the left is called a VGA connector. If your TV has an equivalent connector, that'd be the best to use for the video. The round one is indeed S-Video. S-Video would be the second choice in terms of signal quality. Both of those connections provide only a video connection. Many modern TVs don't have either of these connections

You'll need to use a separate audio connection for the sound. Usually that's on the other side of the laptop and usually is a 3.5mm (diameter) mini-jack. For that you'll need to get a stereo-minijack-to-RCA adapter cable like one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=mini-jack+to+rca+cable&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=11421134147&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14244442127819994187&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_8aji13kmfb_b

An alternative to upgrading to a laptop which has an HDMI output (which handles both audio and video) might be to get an adapter.like the Monoprice 108079 USB 2.0 to HDMI Display Adapter with Audio http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-108079-Display-Adapter-Audio/dp/B0087FMQ1G
I have no experience with it, though.

Md. Shiblee Sadique

Md. Shiblee Sadique

Enthusiast
I have Yamaha RX V467. which is a 5.1 amp. I basically use my PC as Media server. Unfortunately I am unable to find 'surround in' in my amp. My sound card has surround out. My GPU is MSI nVidia GTX 550ti II OC. it has an HDMI out. if i connect it to my amp through HDMI, will i get surround sound... or if i buy a sound card with Optical Out, will it support surround...?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I have Yamaha RX V467. which is a 5.1 amp. I basically use my PC as Media server. Unfortunately I am unable to find 'surround in' in my amp. My sound card has surround out. My GPU is MSI nVidia GTX 550ti II OC. it has an HDMI out. if i connect it to my amp through HDMI, will i get surround sound... or if i buy a sound card with Optical Out, will it support surround...?
Probably not. That card said HDCP ready, not certified.

Now most computers only output PCM, so you need a program like Arcsoft that has the codecs. So if you play a disc with Arcsoft on a computer with an HDCP certified sound card you will get surround. Most streaming sources use Adobe which does not support surround.

Md. Shiblee Sadique

Md. Shiblee Sadique

Enthusiast
My Amp (Yamaha RX V467) has two 'optical in' in AV 1 and AV 4. does that 'optical in' support 5.1? I cannot find that in manual. it say you can connect BD Player through that, so can i assume that Optical in support 5.1 Audio? because all BD has at-least 5.1 surround! so in that case if I purchase a sound card with optical out, will be able to get the 5.1 in in my amp, right?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

My Amp (Yamaha RX V467) has two 'optical in' in AV 1 and AV 4. does that 'optical in' support 5.1? I cannot find that in manual. it say you can connect BD Player through that, so can i assume that Optical in support 5.1 Audio? because all BD has at-least 5.1 surround! so in that case if I purchase a sound card with optical out, will be able to get the 5.1 in in my amp, right?
You won't get surround. It will be a connection. To get surround you will still need a program with the codecs. ArcSoft is best. Even then you will only get surround in lossy codecs. Optical does not support multichannel loss less.

Streaming sources will still be 2.0.

Md. Shiblee Sadique

Md. Shiblee Sadique

Enthusiast
So in word I will not get 5.1 surround with this amp without HDMI in?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

So in word I will not get 5.1 surround with this amp without HDMI in?
You did not understand a word I said, did you?

You will get lossy surround from discs is you have a program on the computer like Arcsoft that can decode them, otherwise no.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis