Connecting a CPU to an A/V receiver

3/Stripes

Audiophyte
Hey guys,
I was wondering the best way to connect the vga from a PC to an A/V receiver. I was thinking that a vga to component cable would work. Is this true or is there a better way?? :confused:

The video will come from the CPU VGA connection and I want it to connect to the receiver like any other video component.

Thanks in advance

morksbeanbag

morksbeanbag

Enthusiast
3/Stripes said:
Hey guys,
I was wondering the best way to connect the vga from a PC to an A/V receiver. I was thinking that a vga to component cable would work. Is this true or is there a better way?? :confused:

The video will come from the CPU VGA connection and I want it to connect to the receiver like any other video component.

Thanks in advance
vga to component should be fine. there's no such thing as a cpu vga connection. you mean the graphics card. i'm not really sure what your going to be using it for and whether or not your going to use the display connected to your component outputs as your main display.

3/Stripes

Audiophyte
Of course I mean the VGA connection on the graphics card.... what else would it be.??!! ;)

The CPU graphics card will rout into my receiver component ins with a VGA to component cable like a regular component ... (ex. a DVD player) and will use whatever display I connect to my component outs to project the video. That is my theory.

So I can have the CPU as a Video 3 source.

How sure are you that will work.. the more I read the more I grow hesitant.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
What morksbeanbag is talking about is the fact that "CPU" means "Central Processing Unit", or the chip on the motherboard inside your computer that is the main brain. A more appropriate term to use (in your situation) would have been computer or PC.

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

3/Stripes said:
Of course I mean the VGA connection on the graphics card.... what else would it be.??!! ;)

The CPU graphics card will rout into my receiver component ins with a VGA to component cable like a regular component ... (ex. a DVD player) and will use whatever display I connect to my component outs to project the video. That is my theory.

So I can have the CPU as a Video 3 source.

How sure are you that will work.. the more I read the more I grow hesitant.
I hope you know that using your Computer on your HDTV is a bit tricky.
Do you have a HD TV?
How good is your Graphics card?
Most TVs are very picky as to what resolution they will display.
I am not trying to discourage you in your task, just making sure you know it isn't as easy as buying a converter cable.

3/Stripes

Audiophyte
I hope you know that using your Computer on your HDTV is a bit tricky.
It will be projected, through a projector from component out of the receiver.

What are the tricky parts, they are exactly what I was looking to hear. What problems do you forsee in my initial setup. Is there a better way??

All advice is greatly appreciated.

...and I wasn't trying to get froggy on the CPU statement. I will explain my thoughts further in the future. I was rushing through my post. :)

R

RedneckHunter

Enthusiast
3/Stripes said:
What are the tricky parts, they are exactly what I was looking to hear. What problems do you forsee in my initial setup. Is there a better way??
It all really depends on what your TV can handle and what your preference is. I use svideo from my HTPC to my Receiver and the same to all the components (including a 76" Movie screen) using a DLP projector.

Most TV's are native 1024x768 or close to that an most good video cards will output that res from the svideo without a hitch.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis