G

gayanw

Audiophyte
Hi All

I am new to HT.
Recently I have bought a Yamaha RX-V550 receiver and I am planning to connect two subwoofers(YST-SW320 * 2) to it, but my Receiver (RX-V550) has only one sub woofer output. How can I connect my two subs to it? Please Help

Thanks
:confused:

toquemon

toquemon

Full Audioholic
subwoofer 1: connect it to the dedicated sub out of your amp.
subwoofer 2: connect it to the front A speakers terminals of your amp, then connect your main speakers to the subwoofer out.
I think this is a better way to do it than using a Y connector.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
subwoofer 1: connect it to the dedicated sub out of your amp.
subwoofer 2: connect it to the front A speakers terminals of your amp, then connect your main speakers to the subwoofer out.
I think this is a better way to do it than using a Y connector.
Actually this is not a preferred way of doing it since sub 1 will have sub level control via the receiver, but sub2 will not. Also this can cause bass management / phase issues especially if the mains are set to large and the delay times between the mains and sub are set differently.

I would suggest using a y connector to connect both subs to the receiver LFE output. It should have plenty of drive to handle both.

toquemon

toquemon

Full Audioholic
Ok, i apologize for my ignorance. Gayanw, Listen to Gene. But this leads me to this question: If i connect two subwoofers via a Y connector would i still getting the 6 db of bass boost?. I read somewhere that connecting a sub in his dedicated output and the other sub to the speaker A terminal i would induce the following:

1. 3db of bass boost inherent to the conexion of a subwoofer.
2. 3db of bass boost provoked by the conexion of a sub in conjunction with the front speakers (assuming both subs are equal in power)
3. The normal bass produced by the front speakers

Points number 2 and 3 would lead to a better defined bass extension.
Point 1 would help me for home theater and/or boost bass naturally if i'm a bass freak.

Is this true or is another "audiophile" myth?

Last edited:
M

Mr.T

Audioholic
http://store.knbelectronics.com/acgy-2.html

Eventhough the incoming low frequency signal from the receiver feeding into the subwoofers will be split in two halfs by the Y splitter, the signal it's still strong enough to drive the 2 subwoofers.

As you know that signal is amplified by the internal circuit of the subwoofers. I don't think splitting the signal should cause any problems.

Mr.T

Last edited:
Votrax

Votrax

Audioholic
The output impedance of sub line level outputs are much lower than the subwoofer input impedance, so the voltage level drop would be very little if you split it. You have gain level adjustment on the sub and receiver so It wouldn't be an issue anyway. Of the receivers I've worked on the dual sub line level outputs are driven by one op amp split just before the RCA connectors. You're doing the same thing with a y-adapter externally.

D

dreadstar

Audioholic Intern
You could just go for a pair of subs with an external crossover and an external amp. that will do a couple of things for you. Take some of the load off your reciever, improve the midrange response of your mains. And then use a single sub off the lfe. i find that stereo subs sound so much better than mono LFE i can always point them out in any setup. But again it depends on what your main speakers are.

Just use a Y connector that is the cheapest way. using line level inputs on powered subs is self defeating since most of them use resistors to drop the level down then amplify it for the woofer inside.

Votrax

Votrax

Audioholic
dreadstar said:
Line level inputs on powered subs is self defeating since most of them use resistors to drop the level down then amplify it for the woofer inside.
Line level is the pre-amp output from the RCA connector. I think you meant speaker(high) level.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis