Connect HTPC to PJ and Receiver

M

mgrosh

Audiophyte
I have a HTPC (with DVI-D and Spdif out)

and need to connect it to a Projector (25 feet away) that has a HDMI in

and to a Receiver (only using it as a amp) which has a optical spidf 3 feet away

should i replcate the PC to be closer to the PJ?

who do i connect these? what cables, where do i convert the DVI to HDMI (next to the PJ, HTPC or just on lone DVI-HDMI cable?)

I only watch DvD's and only have the one audion source from the PC to the Receiver (no HDMI)

jinjuku

jinjuku

You will need a DVI to HDMI cable which is readily available from monoprice or bluejeans cable and toslink optical cable. 25ft shouldn't be a problem

The dvi/hdmi cable
The toslink cable

Have fun and let us know how it works out. I have a similar setup of HTCP with Radeon X1950GT card with DVI going to HDMI on my LCD and toslink to my receiver.

OttoMatic

OttoMatic

Senior Audioholic
jinjuku is correct. Recently, I've been recommending that people buy HDMI cables (i.e., HDMI connectors on both ends) and a HDMI to DVI adapter (I think I picked one up recently from monoprice for something like $3). That way, when DVI inevitably disappears, you'll be able to toss the adapter and have a clean HDMI to HDMI cable. It's a minor detail, but I think I'll have my 50' HDMI cable longer than I will have DVI stuff.

A side note, and you may or may not have any issue with this, but I was never able to get DVI from the PC to the HDMI input on my TV. I mean, it worked, but it looked like crap. No amount of tweaking in PowerStrip could fix it. I currently use the VGA out of my video card (the video card has both DVI and VGA outputs; I think it's an ATI x600) to the VGA input on the TV. So, not saying you'll have this problem, and many people to DVI out of the PC to the HDMI or DVI in on the TV, but it just looked very bad for my setup. TV is Mitsubishi WD-52725. Just something to keep in mind if you run into trouble.

Good luck!

M

mgrosh

Audiophyte
in that case...

I have the option to buy a motherboard with HDMI out...

I have heard a few people say you should stick with pure HDMI out since it nativily supports 720p.

An then i heard a few people say use DVI-D instead since it supports 720p plus evey other computer resolution..

which is better?

jinjuku

jinjuku

in that case...

I have the option to buy a motherboard with HDMI out...

I have heard a few people say you should stick with pure HDMI out since it nativily supports 720p.

An then i heard a few people say use DVI-D instead since it supports 720p plus evey other computer resolution..

which is better?
Neither one is better when it comes to display acuity. HDMI is better in a future proofing way since it will deliver your audio vs a separate toslink cable.

The issue with HDMI out on the mainboard is one of the video chipset driving that HDMI.

For future proofing you will need something that will drive up to 1080P. Which is what I did with the Radeon X9150GT. I am currently only pushing 720P on my 37" Olevia, but when I get into my house and build a Home Theater, I will drive a 1080P projector no problems.

I understand the other posters point about getting a pure HDMI cable. We have both future proofed, just in differing ways. My HTPC should be solid for the next 5-7 years for audio and video playback. The nice thing about computers is that they will always accomplish the original task that you set it up for. My HTCP does everything I want, the way that I want it. Pretty much like a toaster :p

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis