Connect a car Sub-woofer

U

Unregistered

I bought yesterday the Yamaha RX-V1400 A/V reciver.
I have only 4 bookshelf speakers. The sound dont have enough bass :(
im thinking to connect my dad's sub woofer from the car..

it will work ?

p.s
the subwoofer's impendence is 4-8 ohm

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You need to conect a power amp between the receiver's LFE output and the speakers input terminals.

U

Unregistered

I can't connect the -/+ output from the sub directly to the reciver's -/+ input ? (connect it as a speaker)

toquemon

toquemon

Full Audioholic
You can do it as a temporary solution (conecting the carsub to a dedicated speaker terminal), however, you would not get the full potential of your system. The 1400 has a lot of DSP's and a separate sub is necesary to unleash hell.

annunaki

annunaki

An amplifier is definitely recommended in this case. Typical car subs are fairly low in efficency as a system when compared to their home audio counterparts. Most car audio subs with their recommended enclosures typically rely on the realitively small area of the car's interior to generate the real low end of the bass spectrum. Basically the box it is in may be too small for home use. It may not play as deep as it does in the car. A ported enclosure will fair better than a sealed in this respect.

gregz

gregz

Full Audioholic
I did it

It depends upon the speaker in question - some car speakers are quite up to the task. I bought two JL Audio 12" subwoofers and custom built large boxes to give them a sealed Q of approximately 0.8. With single order crossovers, they work very nicely with my NHT monitors that sit atop (in the Aerial 10T style).

Maximum excursion of the woofer cone is crucial for the deeper notes, assuming the self-resonant frequency is low enough to begin with.

I'm an addict of sealed boxes, and I'm willing to sacrifice efficiency of ported boxes in exchange for lower bass extension (slower rolloff) and tighter response.

And Mark is right, if your receiver doesn't have a crossover you'll need to do something to keep the upper bass frequencies from bleeding through like the sound from a tunnel.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis