confused over ohm rating

S

shantao

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Greetings.

A bit confused here.

A few weeks back, I bought a Sony STR-DE595 home theater receiver which I hooked up to a pair of KLH bookshelf speakers that I had hooked up to my old kenwood receiver. &nbsp;They were rated at 8 ohms. &nbsp;It sounded great in stereo, although the bass was a bit weak.

A friend of mine gave me a sony center channel speaker that he was not using and a powered subwoofer. &nbsp;I hooked up the the subwoofer and it really sounded great.

I decided to make this surround receiver actually be surround and so I bought two DUAL book shelf speakers at Circuit City to use as fronts and place the smaller KLH's as rear surrounds, and finally place the sony center channel as the center.

I hooked it all up and it sounds really great, much better that I would have thought.

My problem is this, in looking at the booklet that came with the DUAL speakers, it reports the nominal impedance as being 4 - 8 ohms. &nbsp;On the circuit city website, it rates the speakers as 4 - 6 ohms.

The information in the Sony STR-DE595 book does not specify 8 ohm speakers, although it rates it's power and specifications rated at 8 ohms.

I didn't think to ask regarding the ohms of the speakers prior to purchasing them, perhaps being a neophyte or just stupid that if they sold them (and telling them what receiver I had that I bought there at CC) that they would be compatible.

So now I am worried that I might damage my receiver? &nbsp;I guess my question is this..... &nbsp; Am I going to damage my receiver using these speakers rated 4 - 8 ohms? &nbsp;

and

Is there a compatiblity problem with the center and surrounds being 8 ohms and the fronts being 4 to 8 ohms?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. &nbsp;I am totally new to all this and it is a bit confusing &nbsp;

Thanks;

Vincent Amador</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
S

shantao

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I seem to have solved my own dilema.....

I was off sick from work yesterday with an awful sinus infection and so sat reading exhaustively as much of this site as I could.....

I now see that it probably is not a good idea to mix the impedance of these speakers with my receiver and decided to take them back to Circuit City.

Then I went into the &quot;listening room&quot; and started listening to various speakers that were within my budget. &nbsp;They had my receiver (a Sony STR-DE595) in the room so I got to listen to them with my receiver. &nbsp;I first listened to those DUAL bookshelf speakers that I just returned, and they sounded ok. &nbsp;The midrange sounded a bit weak and the treble was tinny and, well like saccharin compared to sugar.....

I tried some pioneer bookshelf speakers that sounded much better. &nbsp;I then tried some polk speakers (R20's) which I liked much better. &nbsp;The bass was reasonable for a speaker of that size and with a sub sounded great. &nbsp;The midrange seemed clean and natural, particularly with the blues CD I brought with. &nbsp;The highs also sounded nice and so I decided on these, and there was an open box buy for them for 1/2 the regular price! &nbsp;I also picked up a pioneer center open box for 39 dollars (rather than it's regular $110) and so for now, I have a good, not great, sounding system. &nbsp;My intent is to eventually get much better fronts and move the polks back as surrounds when money allows.

To the site owners, my thanks for providing such wonderful information, I am sitting here looking up lots of different speakers looking to see what I want to get next, &nbsp;

Thanks

Vincent Amador</font>

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis