ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
So about once a year I ask basic questions about computers since I have never been good with them.

My desktop is a Dell Inspiron 580, Intel Core I5.

It was really quick before but has increasingly become slower. This decrease in performance is realized upon start up. I would say that it takes around 10 minutes to become fully functional when you fire it up.

I run Malware Bytes and SuperAntiSpyware about once a week. I use MSE for protection.

Are there any certain steps I should follow to try to fix this thing?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
So about once a year I ask basic questions about computers since I have never been good with them.

My desktop is a Dell Inspiron 580, Intel Core I5.

It was really quick before but has increasingly become slower. This decrease in performance is realized upon start up. I would say that it takes around 10 minutes to become fully functional when you fire it up.

I run Malware Bytes and SuperAntiSpyware about once a week. I use MSE for protection.

Are there any certain steps I should follow to try to fix this thing?
If it is Windows 7 you are running, I would just run MSE. Get rid of Malaware Bytes and Super antiSpyware. Those type of programs are redundant with MSE and can really slow a computer when used in conjunction with it.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Howdy, Greg. Here is one of several webpages on the topic of how to keep your Windows machine from slowing down over time. It's not overly technical, and it echoes what Mark mentioned about MSE and the other programs.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Here are a few other pointers left out of the page that was linked to:

1. Use OpenDNS servers for your DNS resolution. You can find tutorial content for how to do this on YouTube.

2. If you feel your machine is slow there is an easy way to test this:
Go into the user management control panel and add another Windows user to the system. Restart the
computer (DO NOT SWITCH USERS as it will defeat the entire purpose of doing this). Log in as the new user and
see if the new user profile is faster for basic functions.

3. Do not operate with an administrator level account. Create another user for administrator level functions and set your current account to "Standard User". If you need to perform admin level operations simply provide the credentials at that time.

4. Use Windows Defender and also run Microsoft's Malicious Software Removal Tool. Also ESET and Panda have well regarded online free AV Scanners.

5. Don't use IE. Yes I am suggesting some MS products and telling you to avoid others. I stick with FireFox.

6. If installing software pay CAREFUL attention to the installation screens where they want to install 3rd party products.
Yes Adobe I am talking about you and McAfee. There is usually the ability to unselect those options.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Also you can run msconfig.exe from the run menu and turn off non MS services and start up items. Again YouTube is your friend.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
What sort of storage device are you using? A hard drive or an SSD? If you're using a hard drive, when was the last time you defragmented it?

What you're experiencing is one reason why I started using an iMac over three years ago. No performance annoyances or degradation at all over those three years, no malware, and no need for security software. I use an i5 (4 core, 3.4GHz) with a 1TB HDD and 12GB of DRAM and it's still pristine. I never have to defrag the HDD either. Many here bash Apple products, and Apple's prices are still a bit breathtaking, but I've stopped looking back and thinking I could get such superior hardware for half the price if I just ran Windows. My 8.1 notebook I keep around for automotive diagnostics and firmware still pisses me off every time I boot it, with updates and virus scanning.

If you don't have an SSD, I strongly recommend one for Windows use. I have a Win7 notebook at the office with an SSD, and while I can see the nasty stuff going on with the performance monitor it seldom affects my work.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Start with SMART diagnostics to check if the slowdown is software or a hardware issue: I like free one like SpeedFan
If all disks/ssds status is honky dory - do next backup user data (not programs) to external drive.

Re-install Windows 7 from scratch or from manufacturer restore disks - I'm not big fan of vendor software crap, but at-least you'll have all the drivers.

After doing all the updates follow Jinjuku's suggestions above (I use both Chrome and FF, but prefer Chrome) and yes. MSE is as good as it gets for a free A/V.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks, I haven't had time to try any of this yet and I would actually rather let someone else do it. How do you figure out the best person to come and clean up a computer?

selden

selden

Audioholic
Thanks, I haven't had time to try any of this yet and I would actually rather let someone else do it. How do you figure out the best person to come and clean up a computer?
You'll have to do some "legwork". Finding a good computer hardware/software repair service is no different from finding any other quality repair service.

Ask coworkers what service they've used.

Most small cities have one or more computer repair service companies. Call them and ask for references. Many will charge much more if they have to come to your home than if you can take the computer to them. Hourly charges are going to be in the vicinity of $100.

Avoid Best Buy except as a last resort.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
No way I am staying off of Brazzers.com and I am in a large Metro area.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
All you need to do is send me a plane ticket. Settled.

jinjuku

jinjuku

On SSD: You guys will get a kick out of this.

My laptop is a i5 with 8GB of RAM and 500GB spinner. It has USB 3.0. My Win7 virtual machine on the USB 3.0 SSD is QUICKER than my native laptop.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Pd, if only you were near NY/nj area - i could have helped you out no problem. Oh and ssd rocks. Samsung evo 840 and 850 are great choices.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Pd, if only you were near NY/nj area - i could have helped you out no problem. Oh and ssd rocks. Samsung evo 840 and 850 are great choices.
So would it be better to go with a SSD vs starting all over and getting a new/better desktop? What advantages are we looking at here?

Can one of you walk me through installing the SSD if Isiberian is no-show. He seems to be ignoring me:)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't care how old your core i5 is, even a first gen i5 is still a decent processor. Good Ssd will for sure breath new life into your pc.

Advantage : fast Windows boot, fast applications opening times (aka almost instantly in most cases), instant searching for stuff

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
An old i5 is way better than my old amd phenom ii x4 920, and it still works great. Just buy the ssd and reinstall windows. Stop getting poop on your computer that's slowing it down.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis