Computer to TV Problem

G

Gord

Audiophyte
So I have a rather lengthy question, so please bear with me. I have 2 computers, one of them is my desktop computer and the other I have hooked to my 50" plasma tv hooked up through and hdmi cable, and it works fine.
I am giving my computer hooked up to my tv away and hooking up my desktop computer to my tv.
I hooked it up the same way, HDMI to the tv, plugged in the power cord, booted it up and it worked fine. I changed the screen resolution through the normal means to fit my tv and it looked ok but wanted to try to get it perfect. I have a program called "Display fusion", and went into that to try and fine tune the resolution, and changed the resolution to the tv's resolution and the screen went black and nothing came on. I turned off the computer and turned it back on and it stayed black. I know the computer is on because I randomly clicked on a program with my mouse and a game started and actually showed up on the screen so I know the computer is still working.
I disconnected computer 2 and hooked up computer 1 to see if there was something wrong with the tv or cables, and it worked fine. I hooked up the problem computer back up to my desktop monitors and everything works fine. I brought it back to my tv and used a different cable and used a different HDMI input and still black, but the computer is still on in the background. I disabled the "DisplayFusion" program from booting up, thinking that was the problem, and booted up the computer again and still nothing. I hooked it back up to my monitors and everything works fine. I don't know what to do. I am at a loss. Please help.
Let me know what other information you need to resolve this. The hookups are pretty plain, nothing elaborate, the computer works, just no picture on tv.
What am I doing wrong?

Gord

jinjuku

jinjuku

What TV make and model is it? Uninstall display fusion and then set the resolution to 1280X720.

Connect it back to the TV and test out.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
You could try to RDP or VNC into it and change the resolution remotely. You could try booting into safe mode. You could copy a utility onto the machine then use the command line to change the resolution (Windows logo key + R to open the "Run" dialog, then enter

Code:
qres /x:1920 /y:1080
... or whatever the appropriate syntax is for the utility you choose.

jinjuku

jinjuku

He can get the computer running on another monitor so he should be able to make changes fairly easy.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
You need to revert the resolution changes you did. You should be able to do it when you have 1 screen and tv hooked up for example. Open display settings on your screen and set the resolution for tv that works. You are simply sending resolution to tv that it cannot handle and this is why you get black screen. When using one screen with tv you can test resolution settings more easily as the screen will stay on.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
What TV do you have? Sometimes you have to reboot your computer. Also there is an icon on your desktop to change it to your TV brand via HDMI(Volume Mixer).
or
https://www.google.com/search?q=ed+to+resolve+this&oq=ed+to+resolve+this&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8#q=Black+screen+HDMI+to+TV
Try this:
Easy. I had this same problem and it took a while to find out how to fix it, but it really is easy.
Without the HDMI lead connected to your laptop -
!.) Go to 'Settings', - 'Control panel', - 'Hardware and Sound'.
2.) now select 'Adjust commonly used mobility settings'. A 'Windows Mobility Centre' window will appear.
3.) Select 'External Display'. A margin will appear on the right hand side of your screen, with the heading, 'Project', and containing four different choices.
4.) Hover your cursor over 'Duplicate'.- make sure it is in the right place.
5.) CAREFULLY connect the HDMI lead, taking care not to move your cursor.
6.) Though the screen will go black, the cursor will be in the right place, - so now click 'Duplicate' (even though you can't see it).
Your laptop screen should now light up, along with your tv.
There's probably a quicker way to get to step 3, but that's how I got there.
Hope that helps. Good luck!

Last edited:
G

Gord

Audiophyte
What TV make and model is it? Uninstall display fusion and then set the resolution to 1280X720.

Connect it back to the TV and test out.
I have uninstalled display fusion when i hooked it up to my monitors so it is just using the default settings on the computer

G

Gord

Audiophyte
He can get the computer running on another monitor so he should be able to make changes fairly easy.
I have made changes when i hook it back up to my computer monitors, but when i go back to the tv, it is still black.

jinjuku

jinjuku

You may want to try restarting the computer in safe mode. Have you connected anything else to the TV to make sure it's operational on the same input your are using with the computer.

G

Gord

Audiophyte
Jinkjuku: I have hooked another computer into the tv in the same inputs and it worked fine.
I am going to try and VNC into it and see if i can do something that way or hook up another monitor to the tv as well as the tv and mirror the screens.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis