S

SongBird

Audiophyte
My budget is about $1500 (Christmas present to myself). I'm a Paradigm fan as I have the monitor 11's, center 3 and a svs xv15 in my living room. Obviously that might be over kill for my computer but I do love the bass and over all sound. My computer is in an unfinished basement and I'm on it 3 to 4 hours a day listening to music / playing games. I have an 4-5 year old denon receiver not sure if I should hook it up to my computer for 5.1 or just go with a 2.1. I might need to upgrade my sound card as there is no optical out. I love deep wall shaking bass. Music is Everything from Metallica to Pearl Jam to Rap. The rear speakers in my current 5.1 cant go directly behind me basically they are 3 feet from the fronts. Any advice would help. Thank you

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Are you planning to use them as computer speakers (sitting 2-3 ft. away) or like normal home stereo speaker (sitting 6-10 ft. away)?

S

SongBird

Audiophyte
Are you planning to use them as computer speakers (sitting 2-3 ft. away) or like normal home stereo speaker (sitting 6-10 ft. away)?
Most of the time I will be sitting 2-3 feet away. I do spend about an hour or so every day working out so i'd be about 10 - 12 feet away. When I'm 10-12 feet away I really crank my current system. Logitec 5.1. I must say the bass on that is not that bad but the mids and highs are aweful.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Get an inexpensive sound card with digital audio out. Run optical or coax to the receiver. This will eliminate any signal noise from the computer and bypass the onboard DAC.

For speakers, Behringer Truth 2030P. Don't let the price fool you into thinking they are not good. They have been tested and reviewed to be exceptionally flat and uncolored. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/B2030P?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=recording&device=m&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CJyIv6Lz7roCFQJqMgodEzIAug

Sub, SVS PB-1000.

This gives you a great near field 2.1 setup with the chops to rock the basement while you work out.

Last edited:
S

SongBird

Audiophyte
Get an inexpensive sound card with digital audio out. Run optical or coax to the receiver. This will eliminate any signal noise from the computer and bypass the onboard DAC.

For speakers, Behringer Truth 2030P. Don't let the price fool you into thinking they are not good. They have been tested and reviewed to be exceptionally flat and uncolored. Behringer Truth B2030P | Sweetwater.com

Sub, SVS PB-1000.

This gives you a great near field 2.1 setup with the chops to rock the basement while you work out.
Thank you... My receiver is a Denon 1609. Will that be adequate for that setup?

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Yup, optical/coax inputs and bass management. Don't worry about the power. There is plenty for all but me most difficult bookshelf speakers.

S

SongBird

Audiophyte
Thank you again. I will do some research and make my purchase tonight. I will report back. I love this website such helpful people.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
You're welcome. Look forward to seeing pics in the Pros and Joes section :).

This site sets the bar for AV articles and helpful forums. I love it too.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
The behringers are nice, I actually have a set of the ribbon tweeter, larger monitors, they are decent...

For $1500 I would go with...
mini-X a-100 | 50W x 2 | Emotiva Audio | High-end audio components for audiophiles and videophiles, spanning 2-channel music systems, as well as 5.1 and 7.1 home theaters. Products include multichannel amplifiers, stereo amplifiers, and monoblock amp $170

http://carnegieacoustics.net/image/products/big/csb1.jpg on sale for $400

and Dual svs piano sb12 nsd https://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/sealed-box/sb12-nsd#.UoqaX8SURD0

That will be earth shaking, smooth, fast, just all you could ask for... I don't like using a receiver for my pc systems, I love the emo mini x, you can stack in under a toweer, it has a ton of power, and the sale price is good... the sub will handle crossing your bookshelves, it has a stereo high pass output built into it...

I am a bang for your buck type of buyer, and own all of them items...

S

SongBird

Audiophyte
I do like the idea of no receiver but since I have one laying around I might as well use it. But thank you for your suggestion. I did consider it.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
The receiver provides bass management and ability to do the DAC step in a less noisy environment. IMO, since there's one catching dust anyway, might as well put it to work.

Budabear

Budabear

Junior Audioholic
I'd like to add a pair of speakers that have been discontinued but are very accessible and definitely worth a listen. The Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 speakers are the ones I've been using for years. I personally have not found anything that sounds better. I have the 4 satellites mounted to the 4 corners of my walls, the center channel on my desk along with my large sub due to lack of space. Any speakers with ribbon tweeters would probably sound better but a very high price point. The sub in this system has a built in 470 watt amp and this system sounds as good, if not better then most home stereo's. These speaker system can usually be found on eBay and are even on Amazon.

Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 Review - PC Speakers - CNET Reviews

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis