Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I've got about a million questions but I'll start off with two.

How would I get an image from Google Images into a post?

How would I resize an image to be able to use it as an avatar?

... ugh, okay, three questions ...

How do you get a link to disguise itself as an underlined word?

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
1) use photobucket :) after you upload pictures, each picture will have links you can copy, you have the option of choosing: a) direct link b) thumbnail picture c) img tagged link (if you copy and paste this link into your post, it will show the pic immediately)

[use 800x600 btw as default in photobucket]

ex. img tag looks like this: [img ]http://www.photobucket.com/yourname/picture.jpg[/img] -> without the space

2) use microsoft picture manager, photo editor, or any pic editor to crop your picture first. after cropping, resize the longest side to the maximum pixels allowed by the forum.

3) any link you post here will automatically be clickable

ex. www.likeso.com

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
In addition to what Mike said:

How would I get an image from Google Images into a post?
When you are typing in a response, there should be a series of little icons above the white box in which you are typing. You can place your mouse icon over the top of those icons, and if you pause over them, then a pop-up box will say what they are for. The "Insert Image" button that I'm about to describe in on the second row of those icons on my screen. There is a button that looks like a square with a yellowish background and an image of two mountains. Clicking that button will bring up another window into which you can put an internet address. So, if you have an image that you want to put in your post, you can copy the web address of that image and paste it into that "Insert Image" web address box. The text that appears in your white text box will be like Mike described: [ IMG]your_linked_address[/IMG]

How do you get a link to disguise itself as an underlined word?
Very similar to what I described above, except that you would highlight the word in your response (inside the white text box) that you want to use as the link, then click the "Insert Link" button in that row of icons. The "Insert Link" button looks like a blue-green circle (the Earth) above a two-link-long chain. After highlighting the word in your text box, click the "Insert Link" button, and you can copy the web address that you want to link to into the window that pops up. Click "Okay" in that window, and the word that you highlighted will be surrounded by text like: [ URL="http://your_address"]your_word[/URL]

A good way to check out the syntax of how things like this are done is to "quote" a post that has an image or a link in it. You will see the syntax inside of the quoted text.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Geese, Alex. I thought for sure that you'd have replied back with a fancy post that included links and images. I guess this class is going to have so start assigning homework... :D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I think I got now.

The funny thing is that to anybody who sees this, in their minds, this is me.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
New Questions

I got a bunch of pic's off my camera's SD card into my computer in 1 file. I want to back that up by burning it onto a CD-R but it has too many pic's.

1. How would I first of all make 2 files out of that one to be able to burn it onto 2 disks?

2. I'd like to make a few smaller files with different titles after I get those pic's 'backed up' is the term I think.

I guess the lesson I'm looking for is 'files and folders' in My Pictures for XP. I have an XP For Dummies but they have misunerestimated me. :D Thanks.

BTW: Spell Check didn't even have a suggestion for my new word. :)

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I got a bunch of pic's off my camera's SD card into my computer in 1 file. I want to back that up by burning it onto a CD-R but it has too many pic's
You must have all the files in a zip archive as that would be the only way to have multiple files in one file. If you copied all of the images from the SD card to an XP compressed folder, it automatically made a zip file. The folder icon has a little zipper on it.

You can double click on the zip folder to open it and see its contents. You can then either select the files you want and copy or move them to another directory (folder) or click on 'Extract all Files' in the Folder Tasks section on the left. You can do it all manually from the command line using any unzip program but I suspect you'd rather not go with that approach.

I would unzip all of them to another non-zip folder and then just point the burning program to that directory and select as many files as will fit on one CD-R.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
You can do it all manually from the command line using any unzip program but I suspect you'd rather not go with that approach.
You sayin' I'm scared? :D Huh? :D:D You're right about me not wanting to go with that approach. :)

Okay, here's where I'm at. They are not zipped files. They are regular old files in a folder. I'd like to start again. The SD card should still have all the pic's as it has been locked since I took it out of the camera 6 months ago. Instead of doing this work then, I bought a 2 GIG SD Card to replace this 1 GIG SD card that has 408 images on it at the highest resolution possible for the most part.

I have a vague idea of what I would like to do.

1. Plug the SD card into the computer and download the pictures where it's easiest to organize them. Maybe 'My Albums'?

Wait a minute, never mind my ideas. What should I do ? I have a full SD card, a computer, CD-R discs and DVD+R RW that are up to 8x compatible.

I would like to learn to:

1. Get the pic's backed up onto a disc. I have stacks of discs. Multiple copies would be good for extra back up and to be able to give to family.

2. Post pic's here on AH via photo bucket of say 'Various HT Incarnations' or ' Infinity Primus 360 Modification'. I have very little experience with photo bucket. Just what I've learned here. And sorry about posting my big monkey in this thread. I forgot to make it 600x800. My bad.

3. Organize these pic's into folders labeled 'Myrtle Beach' and 'Christmas in Knoxville '06' etc.

While I await help, I think I'll go teach my URC a new command. I tought it it's first learned command yesterday and felt like I ruled the universe. :eek::D

EDIT: BTW, What's an ABM File and what can I open it with?

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm making some progress here so no need for a tutorial in relation to getting pic's organized and burned onto a CD-R. I've yet to tackle the rest of the stuff.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Slide Show

I'm reviving this thread to ask about creating a slide show and putting music to pics on a CD-R. To me it's all computer related and it'll help me keep track of my new tricks.

Anyways I went to a wedding yesterday and took a ton of picks. I have figured out how to put the pics into my computer and burn them onto CD-R's. How would I put music onto the disc to play along with the pic's. BTW I have never downloaded or burned music on a computer. I have windows xp, media player 11 and windows xp for dummies 2nd edition. Asking for info here has always worked the best though. :)

I have also figured out how to create a mini slide show with 7 pic's with Photobucket. I would like to know if there is a better way to do this where the pic's could be bigger and the presentation wouldn't be swampped with all that stuff encrowching in on the slide show. I would like to be able to let the friends and family of the newly weds see the pics in the most simple way possible. I can't imagine any of them are less advanced computer wise than me but you never know. :D

Here's a sample of what I figured out how to do this morning:

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Very similar to what I described above, except that you would highlight the word in your response (inside the white text box) that you want to use as the link, then click the "Insert Link" button in that row of icons. The "Insert Link" button looks like a blue-green circle (the Earth) above a two-link-long chain. After highlighting the word in your text box, click the "Insert Link" button, and you can copy the web address that you want to link to into the window that pops up. Click "Okay" in that window, and the word that you highlighted will be surrounded by text like: [ URL="http://your_address"]your_word[/URL]

A good way to check out the syntax of how things like this are done is to "quote" a post that has an image or a link in it. You will see the syntax inside of the quoted text.
LIKE THIS HERE.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Hey I always wondered how that was done!:cool:

Thanks,
SBF1

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I'm reviving this thread to ask about creating a slide show and putting music to pics on a CD-R. To me it's all computer related and it'll help me keep track of my new tricks.

Anyways I went to a wedding yesterday and took a ton of picks. I have figured out how to put the pics into my computer and burn them onto CD-R's. How would I put music onto the disc to play along with the pic's. BTW I have never downloaded or burned music on a computer. I have windows xp, media player 11 and windows xp for dummies 2nd edition. Asking for info here has always worked the best though. :)

I have also figured out how to create a mini slide show with 7 pic's with Photobucket. I would like to know if there is a better way to do this where the pic's could be bigger and the presentation wouldn't be swampped with all that stuff encrowching in on the slide show. I would like to be able to let the friends and family of the newly weds see the pics in the most simple way possible. I can't imagine any of them are less advanced computer wise than me but you never know. :D

Here's a sample of what I figured out how to do this morning:

One of the easiest program around to use for pictures is Google Picasa
http://picasa.google.com/

it's also available for multiple platforms Windows, several Linux distributions and Mac, I'm using this on Linux and it works the same ways here as in Windows.
- Just install
- Click to File, Add Folder.... and you can choose which folders Picasa scans for pics
- To burn an album or a folder of pictures, is very easy, just right click folder and off you go

Quite nice and easy....

And easier and quicker to upload pics than with photobucket (I think) to http://picasaweb.google.com

-H

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm having trouble emailing this back and forth to myself and need to see if it still works here.

Edit: It works like a charm. Now why can't I email this thing to myself? I have Yahoo and Hotmail accounts. Niether will do what I just did here. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I don't know if you can do that with e-mail. At least my e-mail program doesn't process html code the same way as a forum.

Most e-mail programs will let you put in a weblink, just like you can do here. You should be able to put the first picture of the slide show into the e-mail and then put in the weblink so that it will go to the website when you click the picture.

You could also just put the link onto a word like usual. Such as, "Hey, click here for the best wedding slideshow ever."

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
BTW, Alex, I've been meaning to ask...are you in the pictures? If so, care to tell us which one is you? :)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
BTW, Alex, I've been meaning to ask...are you in the pictures? If so, care to tell us which one is you? :)
One of the tips that I picked up here on AH is not to post pic's of myself. I'm not in any of the of the pic's. The way it worked out was that the bride and groom had a misunderstanding with the minister. The minister said that she would help them with the pictures. They thought that meant she would have the pictures taken. It turns out the minister meant that she would choreograph different poses with the different groups of friends and family. Lots of people had cameras. It wasn't anybodies appointed task to get the wedding captured on film so I just went hog wild on this. They appreciated my efforts so much that I was encouraged to take it to the next level. I got 261 keeper shots of which I chose 99 to burn to a separate disc for quicker viewing. Out of those 99 I picked 30 for the photobucket on line deal.

This is yet another case of AH affecting people's lives in a wonderful way. When I hand over the discs I'll be sure to mention a guy in Arizona, a guy in Houston and a guy in Manila. I have yet to explore Haraldo's suggestions. I really want to put Paul Anka's You're Having My Baby onto the 99 pic disc. Yep, she's knocked up. If there is room I think The Commodores Brick House might be equally hilarious. :)

Edit: This wedding pic deal prompted me to get LimeWire and dowmload those two songs.
I'm brand new to that also. It took some doing.

Last edited:
bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Edit: This wedding pic deal prompted me to get LimeWire and dowmload those two songs.
I'm brand new to that also. It took some doing.
we're watching you, but since you only dowmloaded and not downloaded you safe for now:p

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
"How would I resize an image to be able to use it as an avatar?"

I suggest using IrFanView it's best free image editing tool out there and much better than any Microsoft product

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
One of the tips that I picked up here on AH is not to post pic's of myself. I'm not in any of the of the pic's.
What's the rational there, my friend?

Oh, were the pics taken in RI? Some of the background looks familiar.

Rick

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis