Computer audio setup help

A

ankurdesai

Audioholic Intern
I just got a new laptop, which I will use primarily at my desk with an external monitor. (Pic below.)
photo.JPG

The biggest problem is, of course, the audio. It seems I have a couple of options for upgrading it:

- Regular wired desktop speakers like the Audioengine A2s. My issue with them is that I'm not sure I have room on my desk to put them on either side of the monitor. I am also not sure the wires will be long enough to reach the laptop's headphone jack, which is on the left side.

- A powered soundbar that sits in front of the external monitor. My issue there is I haven't yet found one that is short enough to not obscure the display. I would need something that is about 3 inches tall. It would also need to hook up to a headphone jack, or else be Airplay or Bluetooth enabled.

Anyone have any suggestions?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I heard many good things about Klipsch ProMedia 2.1- so +1

As for myself, I use a bit different system and do like it alot - AudioEngine D1 + JBL Pro LSR2325p monitors - see my sig for photo

A

Anieba

Enthusiast
Why do you want a sound bar? Because you don't think you can fit the speakers on either side? If that's the case I have put computer speakers behind my monitor before when I didn't have space and I honestly couldn't hear a difference but idk maybe someone can chime in about that.

As for the cables not reaching just buy 3.5mm female to male patch cable and then they will reach ;) if I were you I would def just go with the klipsch system recommended earlier. I don't own them but I've heard them before and they are amazing for the price. I think the sound bar is too much for a desk. That thing is almost 4 feet long!

H

Hyperion

Audiophyte
B&W MM1 sound really good for pc speakers are small look nice but arent HT level, well they sound more true tho.
They have usb and mini jack in and out

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
I can't speak of the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 setup objectively but I have a spare Logitech Z-2200 200W 2.1 unit which I've owned for 8 years and it was hands-down the best sound I got from a PC/laptop before feeding it thru my current setup (Yamaha AVR, KEF L-R-C speakers, Velodyne sub ... soon to be replaced with a EMP Tek sub). A friend of mine ended up buying the Klipsch ProMedia unit recently for budget purposes, after I turned him down to sell the Z-2200 setup. While he is happy, he does concede that the Logitech unit has a more "fuller" sound; whatever that means. I found the Klipsch ProMedia a bit sibilant, for my tastes.
Amazon.com: Logitech Z2200 2.1 Computer Speaker System: Electronics

Realistically I should sell the unit, like I've done with all the rest of my audio components at one time or another, but I now view it as my pc/laptop fail-safe and I can't bring myself to part with it, even though the little rational man in my head is whispering ... let it go ... let it go. :(

R

ReUpRo

Full Audioholic
You could get stands and place the speakers off the desk entirely. Better sound more options uncluttered desk. Win win win.

A

ankurdesai

Audioholic Intern
OK. My only issue with the Klipsch is that there are going to be too many wires running around here. The setup at the moment is clean and tidy, which is how I like it. How is the wireless Klipsch 2.1 system? If it stinks, what's the best wireless option there is? Using a Mac, so Airplay is fine.

Thanks for all the help!

A

Anieba

Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure there is only going to be 1 less cable in wireless system, the one plugged into your computer. The satellites still have to be connected to the subwoofer. Pretty much anything you have is going to have a wire wether it be a speaker wire or a power cable. I know there are a few battery operated wireless satellite options out there but I don't know how practical those would be for you. I guess if having a couple of wires running from the back of your speakers to the subwoofer under your desk or wherever is unacceptable, do what ReUpRo suggested. Get some stands that way the wires won't be on your desk.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
I find the Alesis M1-Active USB speakers to be pretty good setup for my PC. I like that they have their own DAC so you're not relying on you computers. You can find the 320's for $79 with free shipping on line.

ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
Micca MB42x's are small. Run a small, cheap t-amp and you're good to go. Add a dayton sub-8 or something and you're sounding MUUUCH better than the Klipsch or Logitech for slightly more money

P

pagesiderageside

Enthusiast
Don't know if anyone cares about his thread still, but I am supremely happy with my Focal XS 2.1 desktop system. It has an integrated iPod/iPhone dock (pre-iPhone 5) Not only does it have a look that is seamless w/ my iMac and very stylish, but the focal monitors seriously kick butt. Still new to these forums so can't post a link, but I think I paid around $600-700 and they've been worth every penny!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis