Composite to Component-VGA for a BenQ PB6100

J

Julian

I bought a BenQ PB6100 proyector and I am trying to get the best out of it.

Currently I am feeding cable-TV signal from my VHS to the proyector through a composite-RCA cable. No Digital Cable signal available yet. Totally wasting its best performance. The proyector was purchased mainly to proyect TV programing 95%, little DVD or computer.

My DVD player has progressive scan and component output but will have to buy a component to VGA cable to feed signal from the DVD to the proyector, and even then, it will only enable me to watch DVD output on the proyector, and not the TV channels as it is my priority.

From the "proyector central" review ( http://www.projectorcentral.com/benq_pb6100_pb6200.htm ) they say this proyector perform its best by receiving input through its component-video VGA port.

I am not educated in the topic so bare with me...

Question:

Can I convert composite signal (through a special device, vhs, dvd or cable) to component signal?

Will something like this http://www.lik-sang.com/image.php?category=219&products_id=3235&img=xga-box&show=1

do the job?

Thanks for reading and helping me decipher. Any other suggestions to get componet input through its vga port to display TV channels are welcome

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Generally, when "upconverting" one type of a signal to a "better" type of signal, the only gain will be convienence. The ultimate quality of the product can be no better than that of the one you started with.

In other words, you might be able to convert a composite signal into one that can feed a comopnent input, but it still won't be any better quality than the original composite signal.

Many newer receivers "upconvert" signals but the ultimate gain is switching convience, not video quality.

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

You might try this

I am about to buy the BenQ 6200, and was looking at the same problem. As long as your DVD player outputs component (3 RCA's) you can convert that to VGA with this device:

http://www.dvdcity.com/video/sw-media-vga-rca.html

If your TV doesn't have this you will still need to use either s-video or composite (1 RCA). Hope this helps.

O

olcomp13

Audiophyte
Does somebody knows is it any difference between PB6200 made in China or Pb6200 made in Taiwan ? ( quality, reliability etc. )

Just to chime in... another (not free) solution for the cable issue would be to (phase 1) upgrade your service and get a cable box that will have at least S-video output which will look considerably better than composite. If you can do (phase 2) an HD box, you'll have component output and you can consider getting a (phase 3) receiver which will switch the signal for you so you only have to run one cable...

I know, I know - you're not made out of money! :)

BTW - The Scientific Atlanta 8000HD box Time Warner Cable outputs 1080i or 480i out the components outputs, not both (and the s-video output is NOT active in 1080i mode), so if you plan to use a regular (non-HD) TV at times that wouldn't work for you very well.

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

Pb6200 quality

hi everyone.

recently bought the benq pb6200 and a 25 foot vga to component cable to get the most out of this unit. Although, i have seen little difference between the S-vid and the component input. Is this because my DVD player is not progressive scan? It has component out so it should be good, but would a prog-scan dvd player make that much difference?? Please advise.

Unregistered said:
hi everyone.

recently bought the benq pb6200 and a 25 foot vga to component cable to get the most out of this unit. Although, i have seen little difference between the S-vid and the component input. Is this because my DVD player is not progressive scan? It has component out so it should be good, but would a prog-scan dvd player make that much difference?? Please advise.
Apparently, that projector doesn't really have much video processing, so yes progressive scan output from a DVD player will look tremendously better. And progressive scan outputs are not all the same, so getting a decent DVD player will be better than running out and buying a $35 progressive-scan unit that basically botches 2:3 pull-down, etc...

U

Unregistered

Julian said:
My DVD player has progressive scan and component output but will have to buy a component to VGA cable to feed signal from the DVD to the proyector, and even then, it will only enable me to watch DVD output on the proyector, and not the TV channels as it is my priority.

Thanks for reading and helping me decipher. Any other suggestions to get componet input through its vga port to display TV channels are welcome
Get the optional accessory "50.J2401.001" [HDTV cable] for your PB6200, this adaptor plugs into the 15 pin d-sub connector (this is for PC and HDTV connections) on the back of your 6200 and lets you run component input directly into your unit, the projector will detect that the YPbPr/YCbCr component input is coming in on whatever pins this optional HDTVcable redirects them to on the d-sub header and [provided auto signal seek is on] the projector will then pick up and run on component input directly.

Best of Luck, JohnnyD [NZ]

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Oh, this just kills me...

For years, companies like Faroudja have been processing and upconverting composite and S-Video signals. A good doubler, or more often these days, a pixel for pixel scan converter, will match the original composite source to the native resolution of the projector right at the source location. You then connect the source to the projector directly using a RGB cable (DB15). If it is a good processor, then your picture quality will be far superior to just hooking it up with a composite cable.

If some don't want to believe that to be true, then they should check Faroudja's website and do some more reseach on it. Line-Doublers have been a part of the video industry for many years.

Of course, any fixed pixel projector (LCD/DLP, etc) has a built in scaler to make the 480i, 480p, 720p, or 1080i fit correctly on the native output of the screen. This does not mean that the projector has a high quality internal scaler to do this process, it just means that it does it, whether you want it to or not.

Very few projectors on the market allow for true pixel for pixel pass thru on any input. That is, if you have a 1280x720 projector, and send it a 1024x768 image, it will shrink it to fit 720 pixels high instead of cropping a little off the top and bottom of the image. This may be available on a few more projectors this year, but was hard to come by on any that I have seen.

Simply using a converter to put 480i onto a component cable though will do nothing at all for the video quality. It will just waste your cash unless you are doing some serious processing when you are doing the conversion.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis