Component vs. Composite No Difference

M

MrPirate2882

Junior Audioholic
I recently got a Mitsubishi 55" widescreen HDTV and a DVD player. I initially had only composite cables, and the DVD looked fine. But people were telling me that there will be a big difference if I switch to component input.

So I got myself some MONSTER component cable, and set my dvd player to PROGRESSIVE Scan, but I don't see a difference! I am leaning towards returning the cables (which were pretty expensive, almost $70).

Can someone help me? Am I doing something wrong?

J

JeffreyDJ

Junior Audioholic
What DVD are you using? Make sure it's one that says "Enhanced for Widescreen TV's" .. That can make a big difference in quality.

Otherwise, if you don't see a difference, I don't know what to tell you. Huge difference between composite and s-video, and even large when moving to component.

Did you disconnect the composite entirely, and change the INPUT source on your TV to your Component source?

WndrBr3d

WndrBr3d

Full Audioholic
There's no contest between component and composite on which can provide a higher quality picture.

Some thins you may want to check (as a previous poster said) would be to make sure you're using a DVD with Anamorphic Widescreen video, and also checking some online reviews about the DVD player you're using.

A lot of deinterlacers in sub-$100 DVD players could really impact quality when being displayed in 480p. You cant go buy a $2,000 TV and still use a $59 DVD player :p

A good place to look for good, in-deph reviews on DVD players would be on Audioholics or other hi-end home theatre sites.

There's a wealth of information out there on DVD Chipsets and how progressive scan works. :D

M

MrPirate2882

Junior Audioholic
I have also ordered the HDTV capable cable box from RCN. I will test again with HDTV to see if I can see a difference.

I am using this DVD player. It seems good enough, but I don't know.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis