Component Video Cable or RG6 Cables?

A

AVRookie

Audiophyte
I'm putting in a new home theatre system -- HDTV. My installer suggests putting in three separate RG6 coax cables to serve as component video cables rather than buying a "bundled" component video cable. Each of the coax cables has a screw-on RCA connector on each end -- it screws into a connector of another type (F-Pin?).

Two questions:
1. Is there any reason to be concerned about the three separate RG6 coax cables for component video?
2. Should I be concerned about the screw-on RCA connectors -- do you need soldered terminations to get maximum signal quality?

If any of you gurus can help me on this one, that would be great ...

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
3 pieces of COAX are an excellent way of doing things. RG-6 is an excellent video conductor and is far superior to most store bought cables for its ability to reject unwanted noise.

The weak point is definitely the F to RCA converter, but I would say that the quality of RG-6 outweighs this failing.

You can look online though and get RCA termination cables that go directly onto RG-6 cable. It may be a little pricey for the compression tool and first batch of terminators. But, you will have that tool for the rest of your life and can make custom cables on your own exactly how long you want them. Great way of doing things.

Or, you can live with the converters and be totally happy with them and really not see a difference in your image quality. I never had a problem with the converters.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
AVRookie said:
I'm putting in a new home theatre system -- HDTV. My installer suggests putting in three separate RG6 coax cables to serve as component video cables rather than buying a "bundled" component video cable. Each of the coax cables has a screw-on RCA connector on each end -- it screws into a connector of another type (F-Pin?).

Two questions:
1. Is there any reason to be concerned about the three separate RG6 coax cables for component video?
2. Should I be concerned about the screw-on RCA connectors -- do you need soldered terminations to get maximum signal quality?

If any of you gurus can help me on this one, that would be great ...

I will support BMX on this. Your installer's cable has F type connectors and will use an F to RCA adaptors. I would not worry about them.

T

TMASD2002

Enthusiast
If you are adventuresome there are some sites out there that sell the solder type RCA connectors if you are worried about an adaptor.

I also agree with the posts above that there shouldn't be any signal degredation.

Also instead of running 3 separate coax cables, Beldin sells a cable that contains 3 mini coax cables inside that would definitely be cheaper and easier to run.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis