Component Video Cable Hype

D

dukeblue

Audiophyte
I'm hooking up my Panasonic 42PWD7UY to my DVD and Scientific Atlanta HD box. I've been reading up on cable design including the site's impressive -- if not over my head -- article on the subject. I'm just wondering whether the Comprehensive brand cables I've purchsed which allow direct BNC to RCA hook ups for only $25 are as good as Monster that cost 3X more. I haven't been able to find any discussions on what brand of component cable is the best for the money, since it seems that any well constructed cable will carry the signal load about equally. Any suggestions on the best component cables for the bucks?

D

dukeblue

Audiophyte
Thanks for the help. Do you think it makes much of a difference if I use a BNC to RCA adapter and then just use some quality RCA component cords?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
No disrespect meant for jaguars fan, but his answer seems misleading. If the $25 cables are properly designed and built to be 75 ohm impedance coaxial video cables, then more expensive cables will not help. Raising the price does not deliver improved performance. This is especially true when the brand name is highly advertised, such as Monster.

The real reason you haven't been able to find any (intelligent) discussions on what brand of component cable is the best for the money, is because any well constructed cable will carry the signal load equally well. Your first impression was correct.

Use the cables you now have. If you have an interference problem, you will easily see it. Then you should return those cables and look for some with better shielding.

jaguars_fan

jaguars_fan

Junior Audioholic
Swerd said:
No disrespect meant for jaguars fan, but his answer seems misleading. If the $25 cables are properly designed and built to be 75 ohm impedance coaxial video cables, then more expensive cables will not help. Raising the price does not deliver improved performance. This is especially true when the brand name is highly advertised, such as Monster.

The real reason you haven't been able to find any (intelligent) discussions on what brand of component cable is the best for the money, is because any well constructed cable will carry the signal load equally well. Your first impression was correct.

Use the cables you now have. If you have an interference problem, you will easily see it. Then you should return those cables and look for some with better shielding.
No offense taken! ;) Your statement would be true if all cables were equal and a 75 ohm cable was a 75 ohm cable. Typically the higher price cables offer better materials in the manufacturing process and better workmanship in the assembly process. This is why they exist today. Your third paragraph helps to illustrate my point.

I like Monster, they make great stuff, but there are less expensive alternatives that are made just as well.

When it's all said and done though, what influences our decisions most will be cost. You just have to get out there and try it like he said.

D

dukeblue

Audiophyte
Thanks again for the help. I guess I shouldn't get too cheap anyway after what I've spent on the display.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
dukeblue said:
Thanks again for the help. I guess I shouldn't get too cheap anyway after what I've spent on the display.
Here are two easy to ways to get interconnects and speaker wire as good as any of the high price stuff. First is Radio Shack Gold. Second is Acoustic Research and they are sold at Best Buy and most major chains.

Nick

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
jaguars_fan said:
No offense taken! ;) Your statement would be true if all cables were equal and a 75 ohm cable was a 75 ohm cable. Typically the higher price cables offer better materials in the manufacturing process and better workmanship in the assembly process. This is why they exist today. Your third paragraph helps to illustrate my point.

I like Monster, they make great stuff, but there are less expensive alternatives that are made just as well.

When it's all said and done though, what influences our decisions most will be cost. You just have to get out there and try it like he said.

Actually, there is nothing typical about higher priced cables except the higher price. There is no guarantee of better performance, or better materials, period. So, the assertion is not valid. Especially with monster cable.
And, with the length in home audio, it is really not that critical. Now, if you are talking long runs, one needs to check the specs, the signal loss, not the name brand stamped on the jacket, or the cost of the cables. Simple.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis