Component video advantages

5.1 DTS guy

Audioholic
I just upgraded from a composite to a component video connection from my dvd player to my tv and was wondering if the difference was suppose to be noticable. The picture quality looks the same (if not worse), and I still see lines flash on the screen every now and then (which looks like a bad connection). I bought Acoustic Research sheilded cables and spent 20 bucks. Is there anything I should do to maximize picture quality?

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
Well, component video should definitely give you a much better picture. For one, you are now capable of using progressive scan. Are you doing this? There is usually a switch or a button or a setting you have to change to get progressive scan.

5.1 DTS guy

Audioholic
alandamp said:
Well, component video should definitely give you a much better picture. For one, you are now capable of using progressive scan. Are you doing this? There is usually a switch or a button or a setting you have to change to get progressive scan.
I don't think my tv is progressive scan compatible. Should I still activate it and see what happens?

Last edited:
Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
5.1 DTS guy said:
I don't think my tv is progressive scan compatible. Should I still activate it and see what happens?
What kind of TV is it? Tube TVs (most) are not progressive scan. The DVD player will make a bigger difference then cables. When I got my Denon, I could clearly see a difference. The cable justhelped a little bit, it made the picture sharper. The DVD player improved everything.

SheepStar

5.1 DTS guy

Audioholic
Sheep said:
What kind of TV is it? Tube TVs (most) are not progressive scan. The DVD player will make a bigger difference then cables. When I got my Denon, I could clearly see a difference. The cable justhelped a little bit, it made the picture sharper. The DVD player improved everything.

SheepStar
Yeah, going from my 5 year old PS2 to a brand new Panasonic S29 was a nice change. I already read in my tv manual that my tv is not progressive-scan compatible. On a sidenote, Is there a difference between a tube-tv and a crt?

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
No, CRT stands for "Cathode Ray Tube", so that IS a tube TV.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
5.1 DTS guy said:
Yeah, going from my 5 year old PS2 to a brand new Panasonic S29 was a nice change. I already read in my tv manual that my tv is not progressive-scan compatible. On a sidenote, Is there a difference between a tube-tv and a crt?

The two video inputs may not be equally calibrated at the factory, usually they are not. So, you would have to use a DVD tuneup disc that you can adjust the parameters for better picture. You need to do this on each video input and save those settings into memory. Hope your TV will let you do that.

With progressive scan, you have less video signal processing in the chain, hence it should be better.

5.1 DTS guy

Audioholic
mtrycrafts said:
The two video inputs may not be equally calibrated at the factory, usually they are not. So, you would have to use a DVD tuneup disc that you can adjust the parameters for better picture. You need to do this on each video input and save those settings into memory. Hope your TV will let you do that.

With progressive scan, you have less video signal processing in the chain, hence it should be better.
Wait so where do I get this tune-up disc?

Last edited:
M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
The term 'tube tv' generally refers to 'direct view' sets where the tubes are directly behind the screen. Unless things have changed, direct view tvs are limited to about 36". There are other types of CRT though - namely rear projection CRT.

Large CRTs (HD or not) are rear projection. They still use cathode ray tubes, but the image is projected backwards and reflected off of mirrors onto the screen - hence the name 'rear projection'.

sdy284

sdy284

Audioholic
MDS said:
The term 'tube tv' generally refers to 'direct view' sets where the tubes are directly behind the screen. Unless things have changed, direct view tvs are limited to about 36". There are other types of CRT though - namely rear projection CRT.

Large CRTs (HD or not) are rear projection. They still use cathode ray tubes, but the image is projected backwards and reflected off of mirrors onto the screen - hence the name 'rear projection'.
so that giant 40" Sony XBR CRT is rear projection? (i dont think they make this tv anymore)

5.1 DTS guy

Audioholic
Do I really need any of these discs? I feel this HT hobby is a money pit, and given I'm just a teenager I can't really whip up all this money. Will avia contribute to a dramatic quality increase in picture and sound?

L

louhamilton

Audioholic Intern
DVE is only $16.99. I think it is worth it, especially if you are not satisfied with the current PQ. I plop the disc in about every 6 months to check the settings. (also makes me feel better about spending the money on it) :)

-Lou

Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
5.1 DTS guy said:
Will avia contribute to a dramatic quality increase in picture and sound?
I know it doesn't help you much, but the truth is that it depends. For many folk, seeing or hearing a small difference from having upgraded or tweaking existing components can feel like a huge difference. The Avia disc will improve your picture, but only you can decide if it was worth it. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis