component output from HTR-5660

C

cagey

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>I sent this to Yamaha today. &nbsp;Thought I'd post here as well, since I know some of you also have the 5660.

I'm concerned about my HTR-5660. &nbsp;When I bought it, I had read the brochure (which I downloaded from your site), which specifies a component video output of 60 MHz. &nbsp;However, now that I'm close to purchasing an HDTV set, I was told the 5660 outputs only 30 MHz. &nbsp;I decided to check the manual, and sure enough, the specs say 30 MHz. &nbsp;Which is it? &nbsp;If it's just 30, I have to say I'm extremely disappointed, because I will have been misled by your brochure.</font>

<font color='#000080'>Can you please post a link to the page you downloaded the brochure from? I don't recall reviewing that receiver or even mentioning it in the last 2 years.

PS. What exactly did you &quot;send&quot; to Yamaha? A complaint, or an allegation (which I believe is incorrect) that you downloaded incorrect information from our website?

I sincerely hope your case of mistaken identity didn't make its way to Yamaha, or it is I who will be a bit upset.

PPS. In the future, I recoomend (always) that you download an owner's manual directly from the manufacturer. As you have learned, it can save you a lot of hassle. We also do not generally post manuals on our website. If we did, it would be a link to Yamaha's resource - in which case any mistaken info woudl be Yamaha's responsibility, not ours.

I hope you can resolve your issue.

[Edit: Added PS/PPS]</font>

C

cagey

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>I'm sorry. &nbsp;I can see how you misread my post, since I said &quot;your site&quot; and &quot;your brochure&quot; - the &quot;your&quot; in that case refers to Yamaha, not you.

I had copied part of my question to yamaha, and pasted it in my post here.  It's Yamaha's site and brochure, not yours.

Your site was *never* mentioned (please note the first line of my post, where I said &quot;I sent this to Yamaha today.&quot;  Sorry for the confusion.

No, I sent a question to them, and it didn't refer to anything from this site.  The information came from my looking at the brochure (before) and the manual (today).  I checked the manual after talking with an HDTV salesman.

I simply posted here, because last time I asked Yamaha a question, it was a few weeks before I got a response.

The post here was simply to ask if anyone knows whether the 5660 outputs 60 or 30 MHz on the component out.</font>

C

cagey

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>My post should read:

I sent this to Yamaha today.  Thought I'd post here as well, since I know some of you also have the 5660.

This is basically what I sent:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Dear Sir or Madam: I'm concerned about a feature in my HTR-5660.  When I bought it, I had read the brochure (which I downloaded from the Yamaha site), which specifies a component video output of 60 MHz.  However, now that I'm close to purchasing an HDTV set, I was told the 5660 outputs only 30 MHz.  I decided to check the manual, and sure enough, the specs say 30 MHz.  Which is it?  If it's just 30, I have to say I'm extremely disappointed, because I will have been misled by your (Yamaha's) brochure.</td></tr></table></font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>Cagey;

Thanks for the clarification. &nbsp;I think we realized what you were saying after reading it a second time but you responded quicker than I had the chance to email Clint. &nbsp;In any event, we will try to get you a direct answer from Yamaha.</font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>Cagey;

I received a response from Yamaha about your concerns on your receiver.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Monitor Out Frequency Response /
Video Signal Level, S-Video Signal Level ... 5 Hz to 10 MHz, -3 dB
Component Video Signal Level [U, C, A, B, G, L, R, T, K models]
.................................................................... 5
Hz to 30 MHz, -3 dB
D4-Video Signal Level [J model] ................ DC to 60 MHz, -3 dB

These are the specs out of the engineering/service manual. It would
appear that the sales lit (made in Japan) used the wrong spec in the US
lit. D4 is only used in Japan. It is 30MHz, which is still more than
adequate for hi-def purposes...

Regards,
Bruce</td></tr></table>

If you feel this is a concern in your set-up, you can either:
1) Bypass the video switching of the receiver and go directly into your display
2) Upgrade your receiver if your dealer has an exchange policy
3) Try the set-up with and without the receiver and determine if there really is a visual impact as a result of the 30MHz video bandwidth limitation of the receiver.</font>

C

cagey

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Thanks, Gene, you guys are super. &nbsp;I posted the original message here, knowing someone here would have suggestions, and also to provide information in case this does matter to anyone looking for a receiver.

After looking at your suggestions, I feel much better. &nbsp;I do like my 5660 a lot. &nbsp;I would like some more features, but I got this for $380, which was in my budget. &nbsp;It doesn't have component upconversion, and in retrospect I should have looked some more, but I'm very happy with it.

And your suggestions make a great deal of sense. &nbsp;I would have liked having all sources connected to the receiver, to simplify operations, but I can live with having the HDTV (when I get one) connect directly to the television. &nbsp;First, though, as you suggest, I'll see if I can even tell the difference between 30 and 60 MHz.

Again, sorry for the excitement. &nbsp;
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
<font color='#000080'>Don't apologize. Apparently, I need to learn to read more carefully!

Let us know what you find when you get the new TV. I'm curious to see what happens.</font>

C

cagey

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>I certainly will, though that may be a while. &nbsp;I've just started the television research, and was talking to a salesman, which got me onto the whole receiver issue.

I'm going to be very careful, and check into lcd rear projection, regular rear projection, and dlp. &nbsp;Of course, I was careful with the receiver, and I am happy with it, but I didn't know all the things to check. &nbsp;For example, the 5660 does great at SVideo upconversion, but now that I may get the large tv this year, I realize I should have looked into component upconversion - as well as the 60 MHz output.

But that's water over the dam, and we do love the stuff we have - new receiver and speakers. &nbsp;I'm going to do lots of research here and elsewhere on the HDTV stuff.

Again, great site, guys! &nbsp;I've introduced it to some of my colleagues (I'm a software architect in the defense industry, so I'm surrounded by other geeks who now want good HTS equipment).</font>

P

PaulF

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Cagey,

Just to put your mind at ease, 30Mhz bandwidth is still very good for video. The typical output from a DVD player will extend out to about 7Mhz. With regular video I doubt you would have seen the difference.

If you are considering HD video you might want to consider a TV with a direct digital video connection. D4 is the digital video connection used in other parts of the world, in the US the DVI connector is used. I don't know of any receiver that is currently doing digital video switching. Also there is no standard for HD DVD yet.</font>

<font color='#000080'>The Sony's are the first I've seen with DVI switching... but I am uncertain about their specific implementation of the technology.</font>

C

cagey

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Thanks for the tip and info.  I had just read last week, that I really should make DVI/HDCP(?) a requirement.

My son and I went and checked out some rear projection units last night (LCD and standard).  Very nice. &nbsp;I'm going to look at DLP, too.

Our biggest drawback is going to be that the wife and I mainly record shows during the week (Law and Order, CSI), and then watch them when we can ... from the VCR.  So I know that picture isn't going to be great on any HDTV.

But when we watch movies (dvd), that'll be the real fun, I imagine!

And, to top it off, our vcr isn't svhs, and the dvd player isn't progressive scan.  So our spending won't stop with the television.  
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis