Component cable and Digital Coax cable difference?

A

audionoob

Audiophyte
Hi Everyone... This is my first post :)

I am in a middle of setting up a new system and in need of 2-3 digital coaxial cable for audio.

My question is, what is the difference between the 75ohm component cable for video and the 75ohm digital coax cable for audio other than the fact that you get 3 cables for video for about the same price?

What Im getting at is, would it be ok to get 1 set of component cable rather than 3 separate "coaxial" cable?

Thanks in advance!

Don_T

Don_T

Junior Audioholic
They are the same thing. An excelent source for cables is www.bluejeanscable.com. There you will find high quality cables at a good price. Their product is no BS industry quality cable made to order. In addition there is some good info there as well.

If you look there, the cable used for digital audio and video is the same.

Hope this helps.

A

audionoob

Audiophyte
thanks for that Don.
I guess its another way for cable companies to make more money from unsuspecting customers.

Don_T

Don_T

Junior Audioholic
There is a lot of that going on. You have to be careful of snake-oil peddlers. This web site and forums has been an invaluable source of information for me in my never-ending quest for home theatre perfection.

J

jcrobso

Audioholic Intern
75 ohm cable.

You can use any good 75 ohm cable. Video cable that RCA connectors will work. John

T

tejax

Audioholic Intern
The cables used professionaly on satellite drops are usually the best. The belden 1694A -- bluejeancables sells this -- is one of the best, not very expensive. There is an italian brand, Beta Cavi, that has even better cables than belden, at similar prices. I guess most of you are mainly familiar with american or japanese brands, and will not recognize most of european cable companies. The BB³ range is awesome, with just 1ohm tolerance. So far the belden 1694 used to be the tightest build with 1.5ohm. And screening goes up 120db! The cost is about 1eur/meter, that would be about 25usd cents by the foot.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
tejax said:
The cables used professionaly on satellite drops are usually the best. The belden 1694A -- bluejeancables sells this -- is one of the best, not very expensive. There is an italian brand, Beta Cavi, that has even better cables than belden, at similar prices. I guess most of you are mainly familiar with american or japanese brands, and will not recognize most of european cable companies. The BB³ range is awesome, with just 1ohm tolerance. So far the belden 1694 used to be the tightest build with 1.5ohm. And screening goes up 120db! The cost is about 1eur/meter, that would be about 25usd cents by the foot.

Yes, those cables sound great, but are they readily available in the US?
With the Euro at about a $1.20 USD, 1 ft would be closer to $.40 USD, but who is counting the pennies;)

T

tejax

Audioholic Intern
mtrycrafts said:
Yes, those cables sound great, but are they readily available in the US?
With the Euro at about a $1.20 USD, 1 ft would be closer to $.40 USD, but who is counting the pennies;)
Don't know about the availability in US, I'm an european also :) and even here is very hard to find them for the general public. Older and cheaper models from the same company are easily available. This new range (dates from last year only) appeared recently on a spanish online shop, otherwise it's still rather uncommon.
As for the price, your conversion is correct ;) But with customs, taxes and shipment this would get into US with even some extra cents on it. I know the cheapest price I can get for the belden 1694A here is to order it from US (it's actually cheaper than to get it from european distributors) and it gets around 2.5eur/meter => 0.98USD/foot... what a robbery!

J

jcrobso

Audioholic Intern
belden 1694A

This is a heavy RG6 75 ohm cable great for outdoor runs for satellite feeds, this is a stiff cable not easy to bend. Belden is a US company.
RG59 cable will work very well, smaller easer to bend. Just pick up some video cables,that have yellow RCA plugs on them. John

R

RickH

Junior Audioholic
Coaxial cable

There are just a couple of considerations when it comes to high quality coax.
1. Make sure that you are in fact using RG6 and not RG59. RG6 has an 18 gauge solid conductor,(most of the time).
2.A lot of the cheaper RG6 uses a "copper clad steel conductor". Don't
even bother with it. It is going to be stiffer,less conductive, and can create some "skin effect" artifacts that you may be unhappy with.
3. Get a cable with excellent shielding charactaristics, If you are into overkill
you can even go with a "quad" cable. If you are going to put the ends on yourself, make sure you don't use an "F" connector end and then screw on one of those adaptors that will convert it to an RCA end. The reasoning
behind this is that the adaptor fitting may not be a true 75 ohm. connector.
Audioquest makes a very cool RCA end for RG6 quad that requires no tooling.
Each connector will set you back about five dollars but if you follow the instructions they give you, chances are you can fabricate something on your own that will be far better than 90% of the commercial cables available.

J

jcrobso

Audioholic Intern
All lot depends on the use.

audionoob said:
Hi Everyone... This is my first post :)

I am in a middle of setting up a new system and in need of 2-3 digital coaxial cable for audio.

My question is, what is the difference between the 75ohm component cable for video and the 75ohm digital coax cable for audio other than the fact that you get 3 cables for video for about the same price?

What Im getting at is, would it be ok to get 1 set of component cable rather than 3 separate "coaxial" cable?

Thanks in advance!
Yes RG6 quad is used for the main feed to the DISH or Direct TV. The 18ga conductor is necessary because 24v is sent to the LNB to power it.
All RG6 is bigger than RG59 because of the 18ga center wire. I assume that the runs will be under a 100' and indoors, a good RG59 will do the job and be much easer to work with. John

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis