Completed Bottlehead Quickie Pre-Amp

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
My class project for the semester is now complete. Nothing too complicated, the Bottlehead Quickie (Battery Powered, Tube) Stereo Pre-Amp.

No real problems on the build. I used a rather classy cigar box for the chassis. The manual did have the batteries wired backwards, I learned about it on the Bottlehead forums before the build, so I did wired them correctly (other option is to wire it per instructions but install batteries backwards).

I ran it for about 4 hours over the weekend to brake it in, haven't done a lot of listening on it yet. I think I will try to do a little better decoupling / isolation on it. I also have the constant current source upgrade, but I want to use it for a while without the upgrade so I can compare before and after.

Sorry for the small pics, I've been lazy about a photobucket acct.

Attachments

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I had researched this little pre-amp at one point. Do you still use it?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I had researched this little pre-amp at one point. Do you still use it?
I still have it, but I haven't hooked it up in a while. It is a fine little pre-amp, and gives you a taste of tubes on the cheap.

When/If I move into a house with a little more room, then I will find/build a permanent system with it.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I still have it, but I haven't hooked it up in a while. It is a fine little pre-amp, and gives you a taste of tubes on the cheap.

When/If I move into a house with a little more room, then I will find/build a permanent system with it.
Has to be pretty nice to plan a system around it. Interesting. I'll have to revisit it.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Has to be pretty nice to plan a system around it. Interesting. I'll have to revisit it.
LOL

Yeah, I wouldn't call it "planning a system around it".

More likely, trying to find a permanent use for my random gear. Hey, it will likely be a good excuse to build or buy a decent set of speakers.

1 goal that I would like to do that I have never done myself would be to have a COMPLETE DIY system! All the electronics (amp, pre-amp, and RPi source) and any speakers and subs would be totally DIY. See how much performance you can get with minimal $ invested! And still beat 95% of anyone's music rigs.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
LOL

Yeah, I wouldn't call it "planning a system around it".

More likely, trying to find a permanent use for my random gear. Hey, it will likely be a good excuse to build or buy a decent set of speakers.

1 goal that I would like to do that I have never done myself would be to have a COMPLETE DIY system! All the electronics (amp, pre-amp, and RPi source) and any speakers and subs would be totally DIY. See how much performance you can get with minimal $ invested! And still beat 95% of anyone's music rigs.
That's where I am at. About the only non-diy item I have is the amp and I am closing in on that. I have places I can go for some great bargains all around, otherwise, on good used gear.

The guy who insists on competing, or referencing against my paltry 2.2 system has 9 speakers, two 15" subs and thousands invested. I have to keep reminding him the differences. At the end of the day, I would rather listen to mine for music, hands down.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
That's where I am at. About the only non-diy item I have is the amp and I am closing in on that. I have places I can go for some great bargains all around, otherwise, on good used gear.

The guy who insists on competing, or referencing against my paltry 2.2 system has 9 speakers, two 15" subs and thousands invested. I have to keep reminding him the differences. At the end of the day, I would rather listen to mine for music, hands down.
Yeah, and I would rather have 3 excellent (and affordable) systems in 3 different rooms, vs. laying all my $ into a single room!

Each system has its own character and nuances, and should be appreciated for what it does well.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis