Comparisons please................

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Can anybody here give me an idea of what the KEF IQ9's or the IQ7's sound like? I mean are there asy other brands out there that may be similiar???? Are the KEF speakers considered more "laid-back" and polite ??? Are they smooth and very refined or a bit harsh and bright???? Please feel free to be as specific as you can and be sure, if you do not mind, to mention specific brands for reference purposes. Thank you for your time.:) :)

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
I've not heard them, but a friend demo'd a pair and liked nothing about them. I think he described them as tinny and in your face.

If you're thinking about a pair, you can always pick up a pair of these, and sell them on ebay. The whole tweeter/midbass driver thing is kind of weird, reminding me of the "whizzer cones" in those Jenson 6x9 car speakers. I've read about the benefits, but my ears probably aren't that good to recognize the difference.

http://www.ubid.com/KEF_Coda_9.2__2-Way__Floorstanding_Speaker_(Each)/a10730240-rsearchall.html

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Buckeyefan 1 said:
I've not heard them, but a friend demo'd a pair and liked nothing about them. I think he described them as tinny and in your face.

If you're thinking about a pair, you can always pick up a pair of these, and sell them on ebay. The whole tweeter/midbass driver thing is kind of weird, reminding me of the "whizzer cones" in those Jenson 6x9 car speakers. I've read about the benefits, but my ears probably aren't that good to recognize the difference.

http://www.ubid.com/KEF_Coda_9.2__2-Way__Floorstanding_Speaker_(Each)/a10730240-rsearchall.html
Not really thinking about buying a pair but would like to get some idea where they come in so to speak. I mean are they a more laid-back type of sound or more aggressive and forward sounding. You know things like that. I am also curious about the PSB speakers as well. Maybe I will ascertain more info-surely there are members here who own these speakers and can share a little love.:D

R

rick r

Audiophyte
Kef

Wondering if you made any headway in you KEF investigation. I've been using a pair of KEF bookshelf speakers and love the sound. Very clean and bright and now I'm looking into some floorstanding models, but the local dealer I bought them from no longer carries them.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Which PSB's are you looking at?

speakerman39 said:
Not really thinking about buying a pair but would like to get some idea where they come in so to speak. I mean are they a more laid-back type of sound or more aggressive and forward sounding. You know things like that. I am also curious about the PSB speakers as well. Maybe I will ascertain more info-surely there are members here who own these speakers and can share a little love.:D
My whole HT consists of PSB; Mains are Image T45s, Center is Image 8C (now the Image C60) and Image 1B (now B15s). I also use the T45s for stereo/music and I just love them. Smooth but articulate treble, ot harsh or etchy, life like midrange and tight fast bass.

Here is a review I posted and a professional review respectively;

http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/psb-speakers/floorstanding-speakers/PRD_329036_1594crx.aspx
http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/psb_image_t45.htm

Let us know how you make out

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
You'll always find me lauding PSB right after a 3db post. I too have a PSB setup, 4 2B's and an 8C and I love em. PSB is a great company if you like the sound. I would describe the sound as laid back yet accurate. They aren't everyone's cup of tea, but then again what speaker is? I am not too familiar with KEF products but if you do wind up with them I'd love to hear your impressions.

nav

nav

Audioholic
A big KEF-owner rampling follows:

I have not heard the KEF IQ series, but I own a 5.0 setup of KEF Q series speakers (2 Q5s, 2 Qcompacts, and 1 Q9c; I've heard nothing spectacular and some ominous things about KEF subwoofers).

As any audio hobbiest, I've continued to listen to speakers since buying the KEFs and I'll say there are many speakers I've liked better. But I do like them very much considering their respective price. They're a touch bright and slightly bass anemic (apparently, less so the higher up their line you go); not anemic-awful, just anemic-use-a-subwoofer-for-movies. They seem to sound noticably better the farther they are from walls. The Q5s take approximately six feet for the drivers to "integrate", I don't like how they sound closer than that. To a lesser extent the Qcompacts have a similar integration distance issue.

I didn't know nearly as much about the potential benefits and downfalls of coaxial drivers when I purchased them, it didn't even come into the equation. Now I do know plenty about such designs. I've realized I can't really immediately notice any of the benefits aurally. The center (the Q9c in my case) is one of the better two-way centers I've heard though, I suppose that could be due to the coaxial arrangement, but I've done no real solid tests to show that one way or the other. So, I'd say they make a solid home theater speaker setup.

The wire posts are quite nice, but the jumper plates are annoying (they don't lend themselves to "staying put" when tightening down the posts on the wire termination, so I've had "huh, no tweeter?" moments a couple times). The vinyl finish could be better, but has held up decently. The grill, likewise, could be better but is great for the price range, in my opinion. My Q5s (the last models the store had in stock) did not come with speaker spikes (for some reason) and KEF will not call me back about a replacement set (the aftermarket ones I've tried do not fit; I do not have the proper tools to gauge what threading they are). It's purely cosmetic in my opinion, but a slight reflection on their customer service (I mostly post negative customer service whines online, but I do have positive ones too, they just haven't come up in conversation yet! :p).

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
rick r said:
Wondering if you made any headway in you KEF investigation. I've been using a pair of KEF bookshelf speakers and love the sound. Very clean and bright and now I'm looking into some floorstanding models, but the local dealer I bought them from no longer carries them.
Rick I would like to thank you and any other responders that posted w/respect to my KEF/PSB speaker questions. I have decided to go another way. In fact, just got my Infinity Primus 360's, C25, and 150's in this morning and I have to admit I am very impressed. Was opting for a full Axiom set-up but just could not get the funds together right now. As a result, ended up going with the Infinities and to be quite candid I am very glad I did :) :). Sure, the Axioms are very good but for the money so are the Primus speakers. Anyways, thanks once again for all of your help as well as the others that posted. Have a great weekend.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis