Compact Stereo Systems: R.I.P.

P

PhilCohen

Audioholic
It would appear that so-called "Compact Stereo Systems" (DVD/CD/Cassette/Radio) are now a defunct product catagory. No one would ever claim that these were audiophile products (how could they be, when they had flashing lights, and a disco booming mode....which I never turned on), but we would all agree that Sony & JVC made the very best ones.
But both of these manufacturers have ceased production on Compact Stereo Systems.
But all audio products have their proper place and usefullness. I've got large, more audiophile oriented equipment for serious listening, but a Compact Stereo System was useful if I want equipment to play while riding my exercise bike, or if i want to do some late night listening at quieter volume levels (so as not to disturb other family members).
My JVC HX-GD8 finally quit after more than 16 years (one of the trays in the disc changer got stuck in the open position, the nearest repair shop was 100 miles away, and there is probably no parts support), so i put it out on the curbside for disposal. There is no present-day equivalent model.
I still do have a Sony LBT-ZX66i next to my bed, and hopefully I'll get more years of use. Sony's nearest Florida repair shop is in Jacksonville (400 miles from where I live)
I question Sony & JVC's decsion to get out of the Compact Stereo system business. Yes, there are still a few unknown, brand X units ion the market, but they are smaller and far less powerful
I guess that I could buy a few separate components to give me the same playback capabilities, but this combination of components wouldn't have the fun factor of a Compact Stereo System. The Compact Stereo Systems may have looked weird, but they were cool.
I hope that someday, the Compact stereo system could reappear in a more modern form, perhaps deleteing the cassette deck and replacing it with an iPOD dock, or a USB input for computer audio, and replacing the CD/DVD player with a CD/DVD Blu-ray player.
I'll miss the Compact Stereo system.

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
It would appear that so-called "Compact Stereo Systems" (DVD/CD/Cassette/Radio) are now a defunct product catagory. . . .
Sony & JVC made the very best ones.
But both of these manufacturers have ceased production . . .
My JVC HX-GD8 finally quit after 16 years . . .
I still do have a Sony LBT-ZX66i next to my bed, . . .

I guess that I could buy a few separate components . . . but this combination wouldn't have the fun factor . . .

I hope that someday, the Compact stereo system could reappear . . . perhaps deleteing the cassette deck and replacing it with an iPOD dock, . . .
A couple ideas/options:
1) Assume you already checked eBay
2) Get lucky and find a Sony/JVC at Pawn Shop or flea market.
3) Check out Denon CEOL RCD-N10
4) Buy a slim line AVR with BT & Wifi, add a pair of bookshelf speakers, and you are in business.
5) Replace with Sonos or similar product.

Sad to say the "iPod dock" is as commercially dead as the CSS.

I too miss several aspects of "vintage" gear; VU meters, toggle switches, the tactical feel of analog FM tuning with the large, heavy aluminum knobs common in late 70s/80s, etc.
But I digress, good luck.
XEagleDriver

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
It would appear that so-called "Compact Stereo Systems" (DVD/CD/Cassette/Radio) are now a defunct product catagory. No one would ever claim that these were audiophile products (how could they be, when they had flashing lights, and a disco booming mode....which I never turned on), but we would all agree that Sony & JVC made the very best ones.
But both of these manufacturers have ceased production on Compact Stereo Systems.
But all audio products have their proper place and usefullness. I've got large, more audiophile oriented equipment for serious listening, but a Compact Stereo System was useful if I want equipment to play while riding my exercise bike, or if i want to do some late night listening at quieter volume levels (so as not to disturb other family members).
My JVC HX-GD8 finally quit after more than 16 years (one of the trays in the disc changer got stuck in the open position, the nearest repair shop was 100 miles away, and there is probably no parts support), so i put it out on the curbside for disposal. There is no present-day equivalent model.
I still do have a Sony LBT-ZX66i next to my bed, and hopefully I'll get more years of use. Sony's nearest Florida repair shop is in Jacksonville (400 miles from where I live)
I question Sony & JVC's decsion to get out of the Compact Stereo system business. Yes, there are still a few unknown, brand X units ion the market, but they are smaller and far less powerful
I guess that I could buy a few separate components to give me the same playback capabilities, but this combination of components wouldn't have the fun factor of a Compact Stereo System. The Compact Stereo Systems may have looked weird, but they were cool.
I hope that someday, the Compact stereo system could reappear in a more modern form, perhaps deleteing the cassette deck and replacing it with an iPOD dock, or a USB input for computer audio, and replacing the CD/DVD player with a CD/DVD Blu-ray player.
Yeah and mini hifi shelf system which were much better then today’s sound bars also got discontinued around the same time .
Guess only tiny Bluetooth speakers and soundbars dominate anymore as receiver prices keep shooting up to the stars ️.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nathan_h

nathan_h

Audioholic
Compact Stereo Systems aren't dead.

But: Physical media is dead in the context of most people that want a Compact Stereo System.

Some popular compact stereo systems on the market these days include:

Sonos, HEOS, PlayFi, Amazon Dot and Echo, Apple HomePod, Google Home Mini and Nest Speaker, etc.

They just call them Smart Speakers these days, but they fill a similar niche, and some are quite good (eg, Wireless LS50).

I ended up digitizing all my media, and transitioned to these solutions over the past ten years, and it has really increased the usability and convenience factor, without harming audio quality.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I agree with @nathan_h on this one.

Are you still using physical media? It's dead! We all know it exists, blah, blah, blah... But really, there are tons of active speakers on the market which have stereo and mono speakers. Some are loud, some are quiet. They come in tons of shapes and sizes. Some are just Bluetooth speakers. Many have 1/8" input connections so you can hard wire in a physical (GASP!!!) player if you wanted to.

But, most just rely on Bluetooth for their sound and do exactly what most people need at a reasonable price point. I know that I have one of the 'pill' type players that are a few inches wide and 8 or so inches long. It does fine for a single room at low volume while I'm working/painting. I also have a big one (mono) for playback while I'm outside at a remote location working.

I have a boombox, and I honestly haven't turned it on in years. An old Aiwa unit. Wonder if it even works?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis