compact speakers (60%music 40%cable)

B

BoomDog28

Enthusiast
My wife is sound envy of my theatre room downstairs and now would like to improve the audio for our main living room. I dont want anything too big or bulky, less is more, and of course since this is a very high traffic area with kids and guests, budget friendly and out of reach.

Im leaning towards a simple 2.1 system with compact speakers that will tuck away in shelves on each side of tv. I imagine it will be mostly used to play music during the day and for cable tv.

Budget $500

Some of the options i've been researching:

Martin Logan Motion 4 -$500 pair
SVS prime satelittes -$350 pair

Also, would a 2.1 speaker system with compact speakers like above be better quality sound than a $500 sound bar?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
My wife is sound envy of my theatre room downstairs and now would like to improve the audio for our main living room. I dont want anything too big or bulky, less is more, and of course since this is a very high traffic area with kids and guests, budget friendly and out of reach.

Im leaning towards a simple 2.1 system with compact speakers that will tuck away in shelves on each side of tv. I imagine it will be mostly used to play music during the day and for cable tv.

Budget $500

Some of the options i've been researching:

Martin Logan Motion 4 -$500 pair
SVS prime satelittes -$350 pair

Also, would a 2.1 speaker system with compact speakers like above be better quality sound than a $500 sound bar?
I would always choose discrete L/R + sub over any sound bar.

If you are going to put speakers on a shelf, then use some iso-pads under the speakers, and try to get speakers as close to the leading edge of the shelf as you feel comfortable with.

If the shelf has any sides to it like a cubby hole, then ONLY look at sealed or front ported designs.

If I were in your situation, these would be at the top of my list for an audition
http://ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/htm200/htm200.html

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
they will suffice for the "2" part. Have you given any thought to the ".1" part, which means a subwoofer. It needs to have speaker level inputs at least. For wiring simplicity, it should also have speaker level outputs.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis